[Football] You're the Ref (again)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
More technical rather than the incompetence of the ref v Chelsea.
A foul is commited but unseen by either the ref, lino or 4th official, despite being right in front of all three. Simultaneously a substitution is being made and, by chance, the player who commited the foul is taken off, he was stood right next to the bench so this swop took seconds. But then VAR calls to the ref to have a look at a foul commited by the player he has permitted to leave, which then results in a red card.
As the guilty player is now off the pitch, how does a red card work?
Is he told to return and the substitute sent back to the bench, but surely the substitution has been made.
Is he given a red but the team continue with 11 players.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Don’t know the answer, but if Utd can be given a penalty after the final whistle, I suspect the substitution should be nullified and the player sent off.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If the foul was committed whilst the player was on the pitch then, yes, they must continue with 10 men.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
More technical rather than the incompetence of the ref v Chelsea.
A foul is commited but unseen by either the ref, lino or 4th official, despite being right in front of all three. Simultaneously a substitution is being made and, by chance, the player who commited the foul is taken off, he was stood right next to the bench so this swop took seconds. But then VAR calls to the ref to have a look at a foul commited by the player he has permitted to leave, which then results in a red card.
As the guilty player is now off the pitch, how does a red card work?
Is he told to return and the substitute sent back to the bench, but surely the substitution has been made.
Is he given a red but the team continue with 11 players.
Surely if the officials are doing their jobs the substitution would not be allowed to happen until the check is completed. All the officials in the ground would know they are looking at something so the game pauses. That means no substitution would occur until the check is completed.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
While we are playing this game, I have a question relating to last night's non-penalty awarded, then VAR'd off, to Chelsea.
Why was play restarted with a drop ball to the keeper rather than a corner?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Surely if the officials are doing their jobs the substitution would not be allowed to happen until the check is completed. All the officials in the ground would know they are looking at something so the game pauses. That means no substitution would occur until the check is completed.
I haven't seen the full game replay yet, but substitutions were being made and players were ready to come on. I think they may have been changed before the ref was made aware of the VAR looking into the incident.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
While we are playing this game, I have a question relating to last night's non-penalty awarded, then VAR'd off, to Chelsea.
Why was play restarted with a drop ball to the keeper rather than a corner?
Because the ref was dreadful

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Was the (wrong) decision made before the ball left the field of play, therefore stopping play at this point?

The ball would have been out of play well before he made a decision.
I thought he was (wrongly) giving us a goal kick.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The opposing team should be allowed to nominate a player to be sent off in their place IMHO

Jun 21, 2011
Sub nullified and returned, offending player sent off and their side down to 10 men. If the team has the available sub opportunities they can make the sub again removing a different player.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you can read brail, maybe take a look in the official referees guidebook?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports