• Pull him back

Votes: 61 19.9%
  • Let him go

Votes: 245 80.1%

• Total voters

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If the shot is still taken, then he is not denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity, as an obvious goal scoring opportunity was still taken.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

That isn't how it works. Because the shirt pull obviously impedes a player. It's not about waiting to see if they can get a shot away or not and then deciding

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If you've ever played at CB, in the moment, you pull him back. In hindsight, don't touch the bugger.

In short, had we won 1-0 it would've been a wonderful, season defining bit of self-sacrifice for the greater good of the team. In hindsight, it was a terrible decision.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I think one of the pundits summed it up ..rash decision but an instinctive one :shrug:

Yep. But he should learn from it. What distinguishes the good players from the great is turning potential rash decisions instinctively into good ones. Whether that is Dunk pulling someone back, or Welbeck deciding to lay it back rather than shoot, PL football success is these micro moments.

Across the season our form, spirit, attitude, tactics have often been excellent, but we lose our lion’s share of those micro moments, which more often than not have snatched a defeat from a dominant display.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Depends on the stage of the game for me. In this instance, you let the player go. There is a chance Sanchez might have saved it, or he might even have missed, but even if he'd scored, there was plenty of time left to pull it back.

On the other hand, with less than 5 minutes to go, yes, make the foul.
The thread could have ended after this post.

Astonishing how many people saying Dunk did the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yep. But he should learn from it. What distinguishes the good players from the great is turning potential rash decisions instinctively into good ones. Whether that is Dunk pulling someone back, or Welbeck deciding to lay it back rather than shoot, PL football success is these micro moments.

Across the season our form, spirit, attitude, tactics have often been excellent, but we lose our lion’s share of those micro moments, which more often than not have snatched a defeat from a dominant display.

It all boils down to the intelligence of players and the ability to think quick under pressure. Lallana has mentioned it several times.

we are generally a bit weak between the ears.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
That isn't how it works. Because the shirt pull obviously impedes a player. It's not about waiting to see if they can get a shot away or not and then deciding

It is still a foul, but it has not denied an obvious goal scoring oppurtunity.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It is still a foul, but it has not denied an obvious goal scoring oppurtunity.

How is it not an obvious goal scoring opportunity with no covering defender behind him?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Haven't read the thread, but huge mistake in my view, and for several reasons:
-- he left us with ten men for 40 minutes and without one of our star performers
-- it leaves us without said star performer for a further two(?) games due to suspension
-- it was a blatant red: no complaints about that decision (it recalled one that he made after four minutes against Walcott/Everton last season, where oddly the ref let it go)
-- it merely validates Southgate's decision not to select Dunk -- I've said the following before a few times, Southgate picks Maguire as his first choice CB, once that's been done, Dunk is a non-starter because they're so similar in terms of attributes, whilst Maguire is slightly better than Dunk in more of them (decision-making would be one for sure). You'd deserve to get flamed if you picked two slow CBs against top international forwards (eg Mbappe)
-- this is not being wise after the event, but I thought at the time that the repercussions of pulling his shirt was worse than not doing so ...
-- ... because there was simply no guarantee that Fabio Silva would have scored because, and this is the most important reason that Dunk's mistake was huge ...
-- ... it deprived us all of witnessing Sanchez defending a one-on-one. I think Dunk should (have) trust(ed) his teammate more

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Haven't read the thread, but huge mistake in my view, and for several reasons:
-- he left us with ten men for 40 minutes and without one of our star performers
-- it leaves us without said star performer for a further two(?) games due to suspension
-- it was a blatant red: no complaints about that decision (it recalled one that he made after four minutes against Walcott/Everton last season, where oddly the ref let it go)
-- it merely validates Southgate's decision not to select Dunk -- I've said the following before a few times, Southgate picks Maguire as his first choice CB, once that's been done, Dunk is a non-starter because they're so similar in terms of attributes, whilst Maguire is slightly better than Dunk in more of them (decision-making would be one for sure). You'd deserve to get flamed if you picked two slow CBs against top international forwards (eg Mbappe)
-- this is not being wise after the event, but I thought at the time that the repercussions of pulling his shirt was worse than not doing so ...
-- ... because there was simply no guarantee that Fabio Silva would have scored because, and this is the most important reason that Dunk's mistake was huge ...
-- ... it deprived us all of witnessing Sanchez defending a one-on-one. I think Dunk should (have) trust(ed) his teammate more

Given that Maguire’s pull back foul on Welbeck was just as bad as Dunk’s yesterday imo, I beg to differ that his decision making is better, only that he gets away with things because he plays for United.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
How is it not an obvious goal scoring opportunity with no covering defender behind him?
Because he is still able to take the opportunity., it is still an obvious goal scoring opportunity. If hes pulled back but still able to stay up and get away and shoot, its still a goal scoring opportunity is it not?

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
It's easy with hindsight to say he should have let him go. And I'm sure Dunk probably regretted the decision almost immediately. I feel like he's always been good for the occasional red card.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Because he is still able to take the opportunity., it is still an obvious goal scoring opportunity. If hes pulled back but still able to stay up and get away and shoot, its still a goal scoring opportunity is it not?

But he’s been pulled back so he’s already impeded [emoji2375]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I suspect there may be some misunderstanding. Is it clear that it should be a red card for denying an obvious opportunity to score a goal, or denying an opportunity to score an obvious goal?

Since refs don't give a red if there is a chance another player (other than the keeper) will get in a tackle then the way it operates is the latter - denying an opportunity to score an obvious goal.

It is obviously an opportunity to score a goal every time we get the ball. When I say we, I mean Manchester City.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I suspect there may be some misunderstanding. Is it clear that it should be a red card for denying an obvious opportunity to score a goal, or denying an opportunity to score an obvious goal?

Since refs don't give a red if there is a chance another player (other than the keeper) will get in a tackle then the way it operates is the latter - denying an opportunity to score an obvious goal.

It is obviously an opportunity to score a goal every time we get the ball. When I say we, I mean Manchester City.

DENYING A GOAL OR AN OBVIOUS GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY

Where a player denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by a handball offence the player is sent off wherever the offence occurs.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

A player, sent-off player, substitute or substituted player who enters the field of play without the required referee's permission and interferes with play or an opponent and denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity is guilty of a sending-off offence

The following must be considered:
distance between the offence and the goal
general direction of the play
likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
location and number of defenders

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Given that Maguire’s pull back foul on Welbeck was just as bad as Dunk’s yesterday imo, I beg to differ that his decision making is better, only that he gets away with things because he plays for United.

Maguire was contesting the ball, even though I agree it was a foul, it was no way in the same context as Dunk's who had no intention or ability to contest the ball. Welbeck was marginally ahead of Maguire, but both were going for the ball.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maguire was contesting the ball, even though I agree it was a foul, it was no way in the same context as Dunk's who had no intention or ability to contest the ball. Welbeck was marginally ahead of Maguire, but both were going for the ball.

Both were fouls that stopped a striker having an opportunity to shoot, makes the fouls just the same to me :shrug:

If that was Dunk on Rashford you could bet your mortgage on a penalty being given imo having watched the big team bias for four seasons now. Just to be clear I agree Dunk’s pull back was a red card.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here