Votes: 61 19.9%
  • Let him go

Votes: 245 80.1%

• Total voters

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A lot of bollocks on here. If he’d have had two minutes to ask the referee how long was left, have a look at Sanchez’s positioning and weigh it up he might have let him go. Sadly, not chess, so he made a mistake in a split second with instinct.

This is it. A split second instinctive decision.

The wrong one.

But if we had held on it would have been the right one.

Lots of hindsight being applied here

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Depends on the stage of the game for me. In this instance, you let the player go. There is a chance Sanchez might have saved it, or he might even have missed, but even if he'd scored, there was plenty of time left to pull it back.

On the other hand, with less than 5 minutes to go, yes, make the foul.

Not sure if you have the time to make the that sort of logical choice, its pretty much instinctive and we have had a few cases where other players have not done that and opposition have scored and we have lost points.. What was probably worse was how the players were positioned allowing them selves to be cut through like that.

Unfortunately he is the last player you want to loose if you are going down to 10 men as he is a better defender than Webster, White or Burn in those siege moments.

Bottom line though is we were not incisive enough when on top not aided by a dodgy decision around the penalty.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
In the instant that he pulled him back he "rolled the dice" or "span the roulette wheel" and it was only as things unfolded he would know whether he'd made a good or bad choice.
I don't think you can knock him for doing what he thought was necessary in a split second.
How many goals has he stopped us conceding over this season/the years. We owe him a lot and need to cut him a huge amount of slack.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
...do you pull him back or let him go?

(Not criticising Dunk, nor suggesting he made the wrong call)

Without reading the whole thread, that's a challenge you make if you have skin in the game (either winning or drawing) and there's 10 or less minutes to go. It was the wrong challenge at the wrong time.

But that is a) in the cold light of day and b) me not being a professional footballer. It looked instinctive to me. Wrong, but instinctive.

Lewis used to have that sort of thing in his locker every single game. It's a testament to his progress and maturity that today was quite shocking.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Without reading the whole thread, that's a challenge you make if you have skin in the game (either winning or drawing) and there's 10 or less minutes to go. It was the wrong challenge at the wrong time.

But that is a) in the cold light of day and b) me not being a professional footballer. It looked instinctive to me. Wrong, but instinctive.

Lewis used to have that sort of thing in his locker every single game. It's a testament to his progress and maturity that today was quite shocking.

With you up to the 'shocking' bit. It wasn't anywhere close.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
In the instant that he pulled him back he "rolled the dice" or "span the roulette wheel" and it was only as things unfolded he would know whether he'd made a good or bad choice.
I don't think you can knock him for doing what he thought was necessary in a split second.
How many goals has he stopped us conceding over this season/the years. We owe him a lot and need to cut him a huge amount of slack.

Sorry it was a bad decision on his part, if the Wolves man had gone on to score we would have had over 35 minutes to turn the game back in our favour.

It was a gamble that shouldn’t have been made - poor decision making. Maybe he’s got a holiday booked in the green zone!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Would it have been a straight red if Silva hadn’t fallen to the ground like a sack of spuds? ???

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Depends on the stage of the game for me. In this instance, you let the player go. There is a chance Sanchez might have saved it, or he might even have missed, but even if he'd scored, there was plenty of time left to pull it back.

On the other hand, with less than 5 minutes to go, yes, make the foul.

Agree with this. The forward is young and inexperienced, chance is the nerves would have got to him and he would have fluffed his lines. Having said that in the heat of the moment Dunk had to make a decision. He made his call and I can't blame in for that. Think it has made the West Ham game a lot without him there.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Natural reaction from a winner and our captain. At the time I thought it was a great professional foul, but with hindsight perhaps not. Dunky didn't have that hindsight and he made the decision out of instinct.

Not a big deal, but it has highlighted what a collosus he is in our defence, and just how important he is.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
A lot of hindsight here. He was through and it was one on one vs Sanchez. Dunk made a professional foul. Unfortunately, it didn't pay off. For me, he made the right call in the moment.

This poll would have a VERY different outcome had we been able to shut up shop and nick a point or three.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Split second decision - he gets pulled back every time

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
All this about hindsight .. Dunk made the wrong decision, and it cost us the game. If the outcome had been different, that doesn't make the decision right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here