Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Actually, Rovers have triggered the extra year in Brereton Diaz's contract.
However, I think the club would prefer to sell him this summer, rather than let him go on a free, this time next year.
There is talk of 15 million, but I reckon that's pushing it.
I think a lot of us at Blackburn would accept 8 million, plus JP van Hecke!
Is it a deal?

How about £8 million plus Connolly?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This would be squad with new signings plus players loaned out:

1. Sanchez ( HGP )

2. Steele ( HGP )

3. Scherpen (loaned out)

U21. Rushworth (loaned out)

4. Lamptey ( HGP )

U21. Karbownik (sold)

U21. Turns (League One loan)

5. Cochrane ( HGP ) (loaned out)

6. March ( HGP )

7. Cucurella

8. Veltman

9. Webster ( HGP )

10. Dunk ( HGP )

11. Duffy ( HGP ) (sold to Blackburn)

12. van Hecke

13. Østigård (sold to Napoli)

14. Clarke ( HGP ) (sold to West Brom)

U21. Offiah

U21. Roberts (loaned out to Leeds)

[ Băluţa ] (leaving on a bosman to Cluj)

15. Mwepu

16. Bissouma (new 5 yr contract)

U21. Caicedo

U21. Jenks (loaned out)

U21. Leonard (Championship loan)

17. Moder

18. Alzate ( HGP )

19. Lallana ( HGP )

U21. Kozlowski (loaned out to top Championship side)

[ Groß ] (leaving on a bosman to Werder)

20. Mac Allister

21. Richards (loan)

U21. Khadra (loan to USG)

U21. Sarmiento

U21. Mini-Cucu Miller (loan)

22. Mitoma

23. Trossard (sold to Barcelona)

24. Maupay

25. Welbeck ( HGP )

26. Undav

27. Andone (contact ended by mutual agreement)

28. Zeqiri (loaned to Cardif)

29. Connolly (sold to Luton or USG)

U21. Sima (USG loan)

U21. Ferguson (Championship loan)

30. ***New signing*** Brereton Diaz

31. ***New signing*** Enciso (1/2 season loan to USG)

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Rovers fan once more.
Thanks for the replies.
This definitely feels like a soap called "How The Other Half Lives"!
How many players worth millions have you actually had out on loan?!
This was the list for the 2nd half of the season :

Loanees: Jenks (Aberdeen), Cochrane (Hearts), Weir (Cambridge United), Clarke (WBA), Rushworth (Walsall), Mitoma (USG), Andone (Cadiz), Molumby (WBA) SOLD, Karbownik (Olympiacos), van Hecke (Blackburn), Zeqiri (FC Augsburg), Khadra (Blackburn) , Sima (Stoke City), Connolly (Boro), Kozlowski (USG), Østigård (Genoa), Richards (Birmingham), Tolaj (Cambridge Utd), Undav (USG), Scherpen (Oostende).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Loanees: Jenks (Aberdeen), Cochrane (Hearts), Weir (Cambridge United), Clarke (WBA), Rushworth (Walsall), Mitoma (USG), Andone (Cadiz), Molumby (WBA) SOLD, Karbownik (Olympiacos), van Hecke (Blackburn), Zeqiri (FC Augsburg), Khadra (Blackburn) , Sima (Stoke City), Connolly (Boro), Kozlowski (USG), Østigård (Genoa), Richards (Birmingham), Tolaj (Cambridge Utd), Undav (USG), Scherpen (Oostende).

We’ve probably spent £40m+ on that lot!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This would be squad with new signings plus players loaned out:

1. Sanchez ( HGP )

2. Steele ( HGP )

3. Scherpen (loaned out)

U21. Rushworth (loaned out)

4. Lamptey ( HGP )

U21. Karbownik (sold)

U21. Turns (League One loan)

5. Cochrane ( HGP ) (loaned out)

6. March ( HGP )

7. Cucurella

8. Veltman

9. Webster ( HGP )

10. Dunk ( HGP )

11. Duffy ( HGP ) (sold to Blackburn)

12. van Hecke

13. Østigård (sold to Napoli)

14. Clarke ( HGP ) (sold to West Brom)

U21. Offiah

U21. Roberts (loaned out to Leeds)

[ Băluţa ] (leaving on a bosman to Cluj)

15. Mwepu

16. Bissouma (new 5 yr contract)

U21. Caicedo

U21. Jenks (loaned out)

U21. Leonard (Championship loan)

17. Moder

18. Alzate ( HGP )

19. Lallana ( HGP )

U21. Kozlowski (loaned out to top Championship side)

[ Groß ] (leaving on a bosman to Werder)

20. Mac Allister

21. Richards (loan)

U21. Khadra (loan to USG)

U21. Sarmiento

22. Mitoma

23. Trossard (sold to Barcelona)

24. Maupay

25. Welbeck ( HGP )

26. Undav

27. Andone (contact ended by mutual agreement)

28. Zeqiri (loaned to Cardif)

29. Connolly (sold to Luton or USG)

U21. Sima (USG loan)

U21. Ferguson (Championship loan)

30. ***New signing*** Brereton Diaz

31. ***New signing*** Enciso (1/2 season loan to USG)

Nooooooooooooooo....

Although if we bust the bank to keep Mac Allister longer then I'd be thankful for that.

Also with McGill going and 2 keepers ^ going on loan, we'd need to bring another in. Probably an Ankergren type with a view to moving into coaching in a year or so.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Nooooooooooooooo....

Although if we bust the bank to keep Mac Allister longer then I'd be thankful for that.

Also with McGill going and 2 keepers ^ going on loan, we'd need to bring another in. Probably an Ankergren type with a view to moving into coaching in a year or so.

I expect the news that Tross will be heading to Spain to be announced by August. We need one big sale per season realistically.

We have a lot of players (including Sarmiento) ready to fill in for Tross, but I’d spend big money on keeping Biss because with him and Mwepu in midfield, we’ve got a chance of top 6 (and I say this looking at our recent results against the teams above us when those 3 have shone).

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Rovers fan once more.
Thanks for the replies.

What you're seeing is the rewards from our change in transfer policy. To survive in the Prem you obviously need to occasionally fork out a big transfer fee here and there, but to reduce this in recent years we have focused quite intensely on finding young talent who can nurture in our youth team, be sent out on loan, and then after that process we either have a Prem ready player for a fraction of the price or if they're not quite upto that level we can hopefully at least sell them on to a Championship club to recoup our initial fee and wages spent, or maybe even still with a small profit. Khadra and Van Hecke are prime examples of this, as is Ostigard on loan at Genoa in Serie A, Clarke at West Brom, Taylor-Richards at Birmingham, Zeqiri at Augsburg in the Bundesliga, Sima at Stoke, and a few players in the Belgium Pro League.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is all this talk of Tross to Barcelona all based on a few newspapers rumours or is there something more concrete? If they want him and are willing to pay over the top we have no chance of keeping him but I have seen nothing to suggest that this is anymore than a rumour because their manager has said he likes him :shrug:

He is less replaceable than Biss imo and without him we would not be on the run that we are on imo

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Pascal. What a journey it’s been. What an absolute bona fide legend. And what a move for him is he does go to Werder.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Rovers fan once more.
Thanks for the replies.

Yeh, I think we sometimes wonder about that too!

Incidentally, how good do you think BBD is compared to 18 goals this season Viktor Gyokeres at Coventry?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Really it was ever since we signed that right back who joined an Italian team for 5 million without playing for us that we started to see how right we were getting this tactic. White is obviously a huge icing on the cake but we do have an embarrassment of young riches. To think we have Sanchez, March and Dunk all playing regularly, Alzate an important squad member, and the likes of Caicedo, Mac, Moder and Lamptey all signed as kids and contributing is the stuff of dreams really. Actually, given there will always be the odd mistake, the odd player not pushing on, more sold to make way for other youngsters, it’s been a staggering success.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I expect the news that Tross will be heading to Spain to be announced by August. We need one big sale per season realistically.

We have a lot of players (including Sarmiento) ready to fill in for Tross, but I’d spend big money on keeping Biss because with him and Mwepu in midfield, we’ve got a chance of top 6 (and I say this looking at our recent results against the teams above us when those 3 have shone).
We do tend to work a season or 2 in advance for transfer windows now.

We already have our Bissouma replacement with Caciedo and Moder.

We already have our Trossard replacement with Sarmiento and Mitoma.

So we need to look ahead to Mac Allister's replacement in a future summer which is why we seem so keen on Enciso, I think.

I keep revising my transfer predictions but I think the club will make a big deal of Undav, Mitoma and van Hecke probably joining the 1st team squad.

So, with that in mind I predict we'll sign :

1 - Enciso.
2 - 1 or 2 further players for future seasons.
3 - A striker ( but only if Maupay leaves ).
4 - A keeper ( but only if both Scherpen and Rushworth go out on loan ).

Outs ( sold ) : Duffy, Karbownik, Groß ( maybe ), Bissouma ( virtually certain ), Trossard ( maybe ), Maupay ( maybe ), Băluţa, Connolly, Zeqiri, Clarke, Østigård, Richards ( maybe ), Cochrane ( maybe ), Andone.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Actually, Rovers have triggered the extra year in Brereton Diaz's contract.
However, I think the club would prefer to sell him this summer, rather than let him go on a free, this time next year.
There is talk of 15 million, but I reckon that's pushing it.
I think a lot of us at Blackburn would accept 8 million, plus JP van Hecke!
Is it a deal?

Ben White spent the season on loan at Leeds winning their POTS and they offered £30m for him which we declined. JP is worth more than Blackburn would offer

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
Yeh, I think we sometimes wonder about that too!

Incidentally, how good do you think BBD is compared to 18 goals this season Viktor Gyokeres at Coventry?

I'd say Gyokeres is physically stronger, but that BBD has a more all-round game.
As I've mentioned before, Ben is definitely not a target-man No.9.

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021

Thanks.
Staggering, really!

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
What you're seeing is the rewards from our change in transfer policy. To survive in the Prem you obviously need to occasionally fork out a big transfer fee here and there, but to reduce this in recent years we have focused quite intensely on finding young talent who can nurture in our youth team, be sent out on loan, and then after that process we either have a Prem ready player for a fraction of the price or if they're not quite upto that level we can hopefully at least sell them on to a Championship club to recoup our initial fee and wages spent, or maybe even still with a small profit. Khadra and Van Hecke are prime examples of this, as is Ostigard on loan at Genoa in Serie A, Clarke at West Brom, Taylor-Richards at Birmingham, Zeqiri at Augsburg in the Bundesliga, Sima at Stoke, and a few players in the Belgium Pro League.

Lower down the the scale, we've tried to do the same thing.
Five of our regulars this season came through our Academy.
Hayden Carter has done very well on loan with Portsmouth, and he is another who is expected to be in first-team contention next season.
To be honest, without a successful Academy and loanees like JPvH (and Liverpool's Harvey Elliott, the previous season), we would struggle to survive in the second tier

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
Hugo Rune - you mention the possibility of Duffy being sold to Blackburn.
I'd have no problem with that, but it would NOT be popular with some Rovers supporters.
There are quite a few who believe he deliberately scored own-goals and engineered his own sending off to speed up a move, last time he was with us!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hugo Rune - you mention the possibility of Duffy being sold to Blackburn.
I'd have no problem with that, but it would NOT be popular with some Rovers supporters.
There are quite a few who believe he deliberately scored own-goals and engineered his own sending off to speed up a move, last time he was with us!

You do have a point .................................... :lolol:

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m actually expecting a fairly busy summer as there’s a number of ‘outs’ that in my view are fairly likely, even if we don’t want them.

- Bissouma - he’s simply too good not to have offers from a CL side, surely.
- Trossard - has already said he’s ‘open to offers’. 27 so the next contract is the one he needs to set him up for life. Can’t see that being the sort of contract we’ll offer.
- Maupay - he’s good enough to be a starter in a bottom 6 PL side but only as a squad player in one with aspirations of top 10. So I think he may conclude his future resides elsewhere.
- Gross - I think he’s decided to go back to Germany.
- Duffy - Potter’s recent interview on him smacked of ‘thanks for everything Shane’ to me.
- Andone - still a drain on the accounts (wages and deprecating his fee). Suspect we’ll write this one off a year early and he’ll leave, as with Locadia.

Van Hecke, Mitoma and Undav to come in, plus Koslowski. I think Undav looks a like for like for Maupay, and I’d like to see us sign another striker with pace who can run in behind as Welbeck does. Nketiah would fit the bill but have a horrible feeling he’s Palace bound. Enciso may arrive but likely to be eased in over a season like our other South Americans. He’s not had a great season, but I still like Sarr from Watford as a possible Trossard replacement, but may also have his sights set higher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here