Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Do we know if Clarke is better than Duffy?

Is Welbeck too expensive a luxury or an important tool in developing the younger players?

Assuming at the bottom end every premier league point is worth 3 million (40 point season) I’d say we’ve got our moneys worth again and would renew

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
It's all so dependant on what bids we actually receive, for/from whoever. Trust the club is suitably prepared for various scenarios with the obvious cover we have in the squad and the returning loans.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's always the assumption that there will be relatively little incoming, yet Potter has always had big turnover in Summer windows with several players who effectively go straight into the first 11 or first team squad or end up in the first team squad a season or so after. There's also a high volume of loans (20 or so last summer) and sales and movement to keep the squad to 25, and also eye to the future with some punts on youngsters and a reset of the u23s with a few u18s even (normally these days we pick up those who have made EFL debuts when 15 or 16 etc. So i doubt this summer will be quiet....

21/22 >> Mwepu, Cucurella, Sarmiento (and Mitoma/Sima)
20/21 >> Veltman, Lallana , Welbeck (and Van Hecke/Khadra/Moder)
19/20 >> Webster, Maupay, and Trossard (and Richards/Clarke)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see the Mirror are linking us with a summer loan deal for Armando Broja. Him and Welbeck would cover that target man striker position, I think that deal would make sense.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
IF - and whilst it's improbable but not impossible, that all three of Biss, Trossard and Gross leave then we'll certainly need to get in replacements.

If that happened we would be fvcked. The team is just starting to hit its straps, I wouldn't change too much, replace Maupay and Duffy (lets face it we have pretty much done this already) I would probably keep Lallana he brings a lot when fit, and I daresay is quite an influence off the pitch as well, same with Welbeck.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If that happened we would be fvcked. The team is just starting to hit its straps, I wouldn't change too much, replace Maupay and Duffy (lets face it we have pretty much done this already) I would probably keep Lallana he brings a lot when fit, and I daresay is quite an influence off the pitch as well, same with Welbeck.

"The team is just starting to hit its straps, I wouldn't change too much" - no, neither would I.

But fvcked if those three are sold/released? No way. We have a succession policy in place, and if we do need to buy someone (apart from investments for the future) we probably will.
Desirable? Yes, certainly - improvements always welcome - but needed? Nah - we're heading n the right direction.

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
Blackburn Rovers supporter back again!
Glancing through the threads, I see that a couple of people have mentioned Alzate going out on loan next season.
Is that a serious possibility?
No idea yet who our new manager will be (about 100 names mentioned so far), but we definitely need an extra midfielder and I doubt that we could afford to buy somebody of Alzate's quality, so a season-long loan would be excellent from our point-of view.
Do you have enough cover in midfield that you wouldn't miss him for a season?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Glancing through the threads, I see that a couple of people have mentioned Alzate going out on loan next season.
No idea yet who our new manager will be (about 100 names mentioned so far), but we definitely need an extra midfielder and I doubt that we could afford to buy somebody of Alzate's quality, so a season-long loan would be excellent from our point-of view.

Yes. He's only made 9 PL appearances this season. Now that Caicedo is a regular starter, Alzate's opportunities will be limited further. Though with Bissouma likely leaving and Moder out for a fair while we may want to keep hold of him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm reasonably certain we will be looking to loan out Kacper Kozlowski to the Championship next season. Alzate is less likely due to Moder's injury, assuming Bissouma is leaving as well.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Connolly has to be top of the departure list doesn’t he ? Simply not good enough now and can’t even get a regular start in the Championship for Boro. Other squad / loan players will no doubt be offloaded e.g. Andone,
I will be gutted if we don’t give Welbs a new deal, he is the best striker in the club and in spite of his injuries he’s still contributed some big goals and performances for us - I love the guy

I would be so happy if Biss stays because a midfield 3 of Biss, Caideco & Mwepu is better than most outside the top 4.

I may get shot down by some, but won’t lose any sleep at all if Gross moves on - I think our midfield has evolved beyond what he can offer now - especially when you add Moder, MacAllister, Lallana (who I think will be a bit part player next year) and Alzate into the mix.

I’d really like to see Ostigaard join the first team squad to challenge / cover Dunk, Webster & Veltman which sadly could mean the end of the road for big Shane.

For me our priority for new signings is another striker (someone like Brereton Diaz who is out of contract at Blackburn) and cover for Cucu in the LB/LWB spot

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm reasonably certain we will be looking to loan out Kacper Kozlowski to the Championship next season. Alzate is less likely due to Moder's injury, assuming Bissouma is leaving as well.
We'll probably be looking for a better loan than Aberdeen for Teddy Jenks too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Connolly has to be top of the departure list doesn’t he ? Simply not good enough now and can’t even get a regular start in the Championship for Boro. Other squad / loan players will no doubt be offloaded e.g. Andone,
I will be gutted if we don’t give Welbs a new deal, he is the best striker in the club and in spite of his injuries he’s still contributed some big goals and performances for us - I love the guy

I would be so happy if Biss stays because a midfield 3 of Biss, Caideco & Mwepu is better than most outside the top 4.

I may get shot down by some, but won’t lose any sleep at all if Gross moves on - I think our midfield has evolved beyond what he can offer now - especially when you add Moder, MacAllister, Lallana (who I think will be a bit part player next year) and Alzate into the mix.

I’d really like to see Ostigaard join the first team squad to challenge / cover Dunk, Webster & Veltman which sadly could mean the end of the road for big Shane.

For me our priority for new signings is another striker (someone like Brereton Diaz who is out of contract at Blackburn) and cover for Cucu in the LB/LWB spot

This could well happen although I think van Hecke ( only 6 months younger than Østigård ) has moved ahead in the race to join the squad.

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021

Actually, Rovers have triggered the extra year in Brereton Diaz's contract.
However, I think the club would prefer to sell him this summer, rather than let him go on a free, this time next year.
There is talk of 15 million, but I reckon that's pushing it.
I think a lot of us at Blackburn would accept 8 million, plus JP van Hecke!
Is it a deal?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Actually, Rovers have triggered the extra year in Brereton Diaz's contract.
However, I think the club would prefer to sell him this summer, rather than let him go on a free, this time next year.
There is talk of 15 million, but I reckon that's pushing it.
I think a lot of us at Blackburn would accept 8 million, plus JP van Hecke!
Is it a deal?

Hmmm how about £8m plus Khadra ?!

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
Yes. He's only made 9 PL appearances this season. Now that Caicedo is a regular starter, Alzate's opportunities will be limited further. Though with Bissouma likely leaving and Moder out for a fair while we may want to keep hold of him.

Thanks.

Rover In Exile

Dec 7, 2021
Rovers fan once more.
Thanks for the replies.
This definitely feels like a soap called "How The Other Half Lives"!
How many players worth millions have you actually had out on loan?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here