Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I suspect Duffy, Biss, Tross and Maupay will be the big ‘ours’. Nothing more than reactive hunches really.
Nobody is going to stand in the way of Tross and Biss getting big moves given their age and contracts. Maupay- actually think he’s had a great season but something seems to have changed recently. If a decent team comes on for him for decent money I wouldn’t be surprised if he left.
Van Hecke will surely be given a chance in pre season, suspect Khadra is a bit inconsistent atm and Sarmiento and Mitoma are both likely to be ahead of him. Gross has to stay unless he wants a big pay day. I hope he stays.
Lallana will surely retire.
I’d love is to sign Sarr, Cornet and Nketiah.
Something like:

Sanchez
Steele
Dunk
Webster
Veltman
Lamptey
Cucu
Van Hecke
March
Gross
Caicedo
Alzate
Mwepu
Moder
Mac
Cornet (can play anywhere down the left and up top- would be an incredibly useful signing)
Sarr (I know I know, but why not dream?)
Mitoma
Undav
Wellbeck
Nketiah (has proven over the last few weeks he can score goals)

Plus a sprinkling of youngster looks like a very solid team with serious Potter adaptability. Pace. Power. Very exciting.
All pie in the sky obviously. Seriously, pick ten teams from that lot and it’s an incredible team.

Lallana won't retire (not on a reported £85k a week) when he has one year left on his deal. Don't expect him to figure much, but unless the club pay up his contract he'd be nuts to retire with 1 year left at just over £4m.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Lallana won't retire (not on a reported £85k a week) when he has one year left on his deal. Don't expect him to figure much, but unless the club pay up his contract he'd be nuts to retire with 1 year left at just over £4m.

When I say retire I mean he will be on the books but will focus more on coaching. It’s been widely reported part of his deal is the opportunity to move into coaching. He’s obviously a fantastic asset off the field and in absolutely not suggesting we get rid.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sorry but I don’t even regard March as one of our better squad players. I’d blood one of our promising youngsters any day rather than see his name on the squad list. Just my opinion…

He doesn't need to be one of the "better" squad players, just one of the best 25 players on the club's books. ( He is)

We don't have to use up a squad place for our "promising youngsters" Anyone under the age of 21 on Jan1st has a free place in the squad.
I think it's only Taylor Richards who is moving into contention for the full squad next season.

I think we already have 4 spaces for Zeqiri/Sima/Mitoma/Undav to slot into next season.

Who do you think he's blocking?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He doesn't need to be one of the "better" squad players, just one of the best 25 players on the club's books. ( He is)

We don't have to use up a squad place for our "promising youngsters" Anyone under the age of 21 on Jan1st has a free place in the squad.
I think it's only Taylor Richards who is moving into contention for the full squad next season.

I think we already have 4 spaces for Zeqiri/Sima/Mitoma/Undav to slot into next season.

Who do you think he's blocking?

And on recent evidence he should be starting more often than he doesn't IMO

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I can't be bothered to trawl through but i definitely said on one of the threads before Arsenal that I'd bin Trossard off. I'd like to retract that now, he's looked absolutely brilliant of late

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
And on recent evidence he should be starting more often than he doesn't IMO

It's always been my contention that Solly is sorely underrated by many of our fans.

But even I felt the writing may be on the wall after Cucurella and Mwepu burst onto the scene.
I'm sure he must have had some negative thoughts about the situation too.
But Solly's temperament is totally professional. He just get's on with his job in the squad, plays wherever he's needed and always puts in a solid performance.

Much like Groß, he just gets on with it and is quietly a crucial part of the squad.
We will miss them both when they are gone.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's always been my contention that Solly is sorely underrated by many of our fans.

But even I felt the writing may be on the wall after Cucurella and Mwepu burst onto the scene.
But Solly's temperament is totally professional. He just get's on with his job in the squad, plays wherever he's needed and always puts in a solid performance.

Much like Groß, he just gets on with it and is quietly a crucial part of the squad.

He’s also a player Potter absolutely trusts to follow orders. Managers value that very highly.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

He’s a great squad man. Versatile, whole hearted and solid. He’s much better as a WB than any further forward imo. Further forward he ‘does a job’ but doesn’t have enough end product.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Into our first team squad for next season:

Carl Rushworth (GK)
Van Hecke (Def)
Koslowski (Mid)
Undav (Fwd)
Mitoma (Fwd)

Let's hope our recruitment team are making plans for the future and sign these players up.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Indeed.

Every manager we have had, has played him over "better" players.
It's not a coincidence.

Positives:

Professional
Follows orders
Can play on either flank
Works hard
Defends well
Creates chances
Builds great partnerships on the pitch
Local lad who has played hundreds of games for us
Seems a popular member of the squad

Negatives:
Isn’t the best player in the World.

It’s amazing the stick he gets.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
No serious surgery to the squad needed. It's more about who we keep hold of

If Veltman and Gross would sign on the dotted line that would be amazing.

Most likely at least one of Trossard or Maupay to leave.

We need to fend of any bids for MacAllister and Cucu, and i'm very confident we will.

Bissouma, is an 80 to 90% probability to leave. But I don't totally discount the idea that no club meets our valuation and he decides late on in the window to sign a new deal.

Then it's just a case of who we incorporate from the loan signings.

At centre back, i'd bring in Van Hecke and Clarke, to get us up to 5 in that position

At Centre Mid i'd bring in Kowlozski. Just for the reason that with Moder out for a bit, Gross future uncertain, Mwepu susceptible to injury, Lallana nearing the end and Alzate not obviously kicking on, we might find we want an extra player in there. We can always send him back somewhere in Jan after Moder returns.

Up front, I think we need more cover than we generally have. So just Undav and Welbeck (assuming Maupay and Trossard goes) isn't enough. We'd need to sign a replacements I don't see us incorporating Sima or Zeqiri any time soon

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think Pascal would have signed by now if he was going to.

If not I better be able to give him a good send of against West Ham or that will annoy.

Maybe he has? :shrug:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Positives:

Professional
Follows orders
Can play on either flank
Works hard
Defends well
Creates chances
Builds great partnerships on the pitch
Local lad who has played hundreds of games for us
Seems a popular member of the squad

Negatives:
Isn’t the best player in the World.

It’s amazing the stick he gets.

I'd probably add skill and acceleration and the fact that he's improving all the time.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He’s a great squad man. Versatile, whole hearted and solid. He’s much better as a WB than any further forward imo. Further forward he ‘does a job’ but doesn’t have enough end product.

If by end product, you mean goals, then yes I agree with you.
But in regards to crosses/crucial passes into the box his stats are way better than most of us think they are.

Someone posted some stats on here the other day. I think he was the third best in chances created per game.
A mile behind Groß but comparable with Tross/Mac/Cucu.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Stick = sell Biss if we can extract the right value for the best holding midfielder in the PL.
Twist = keep Biss (and yes, let him walk for nothing in 12 months) and have a real crack at European football

Whatever is discussed around the Amex boardroom at the end-of-season review, we will probably be trimming fringe and young players in light of new FIFA loan regulations.

Invest any/all player sales money in securing assets and trying to get an elite offensive player into the club.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Sollys professionalism and temperament is one of the reasons why he is still a premier league player and still at the club.

Let’s not forget when he had a decent run of games at left wing back last season he was pretty bloody good. The signing of cucarella overshadows that a little. But everyone needs a Solly March. Liverpool had it for a long time with James Milner. A player who can come in, in lots of different positions and do a decent job in all of them.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'd probably add skill and acceleration and the fact that he's improving all the time.

I've always thought that Solly's biggest enemy is himself and a lack of confidence and belief in himself . He was stunning on Saturday and really hope this will be the catalyst to kick him on to more consistent performances. Local lad and solid professional attitude so really want him to do well.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sollys professionalism and temperament is one of the reasons why he is still a premier league player and still at the club.

Let’s not forget when he had a decent run of games at left wing back last season he was pretty bloody good. The signing of cucarella overshadows that a little. But everyone needs a Solly March. Liverpool had it for a long time with James Milner. A player who can come in, in lots of different positions and do a decent job in all of them.

Exactly this.

Selling and replacing him, is more than just finding a second string LWB to cover Cucu.
It will cost us a lot in fees and wages to plug the gaps he would leave.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I've always thought that Solly's biggest enemy is himself and a lack of confidence and belief in himself . He was stunning on Saturday and really hope this will be the catalyst to kick him on to more consistent performances. Local lad and solid professional attitude so really want him to do well.

This one gets quoted a lot. I don't see it.
Particularly in a season where he has given the finger to Chelsea and laughed in the face of Wolves fans.

I think the perception due to his demeanour, more than anything else.
Head down and focussed on the job in hand always.
I don't think it ever enters his head that he might not be good enough. Why would it?

People often misread chest-beating and "passion" as signs of confidence. It's often the other way round.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here