Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] You're in charge of the summer rebuild: who goes, who stays and who joins?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What happens with our army of loan players could end up having a big impact on our squad make up and potential incomings this close season if the club view any of them as part of the plans for the new season.

If I had to guess I'd say we'll probably see quite a few of those on loan moved on, with tidy profits picked up for a few of them. Some are getting to the point where they will want first team minutes and others will be moved on as they aren't going to make it to the desired level. Karbownik, Sima, Ostigard, Clarke, Zeqiri, Andone, Richards & Molumby could potentially all leave permanently.

Some will almost certainly be part of the squad (Undav, Scherpen, Van Hecke) and there are probably 4 players (Connolly, Kozlowski, Mitoma, Khadra) who have about a 50:50 chance of either being part of the squad or being loaned out again.

As for the first team squad I think aside from the obvious with Bissouma we'll probably see Duffy, Lallana and potentially Steele moved on.

Incomings wise- experience back up keeper, centre back, goal scoring midfielder

Close to zero chance that Lallana is leaving I think. Got one year left on his contract and doubt anyone is going to buy him and give him a better/equal deal at this point. Plus he is obviously one of not too many leaders in this team.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Things need to change

Departures

Bissouma, Maupay, Trossard, Welbeck, Gross, Lallana, Duffy, Steele,

GK's

Sanchez
New GK (actual competition for the spot)
Rushworth

Central Defenders

Webster
Dunk
Veltman
Van Hecke
New signing (left footed CB)

Wing Backs

Lamptey
Cucurella
March
New RWB (fast and attacking)

Defensive Midfielders

Mwepu
Alzate
Caicedo
Kozlowski
MacAllister

Attacking Midfielders / wingers

Mitoma
Khadra
Moder
New Playmaker

Strikers

Undav
New Striker
New Striker

That's 6 new first team players in 8 out. Several promoted from loan spells

Find permanent clubs for more experienced players on loan, ie Zeqiri, Ostigard, Longman, Cochrane, Clarke

Find decent loans for young fringe players, Ferguson, Sarmiento, Roberts

Re-loans for Sima, Weir, Richards and other young loanees.

Stop caring how USG are doing

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Genuinely anyone out of contract. There’s not a single player we shouldn’t at least try to improve on, be it poor performance or poor fitness.

Anyway, who is out of contract btw?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Going to upset the "first name on the team sheet" brigade, but I feel Dunk's days are numbered.

There's only so long you can put your body on the line, throwing yourself into last ditch challenges. Since his recent injury he appears a shadow of his former self, or he has become reliant on Webster.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
First decision is what to do about Gross and Welbeck, who are out of contract. On balance, I think they will both be let go.

There are a plethora of players out of contract in 2023, so it will be our last chance to get a fee for Maupay, Trossard and Biss. I think we extend the first 2 and MacAllister and sell Biss, using a chunk of the Biss money to replace Welbeck. It would appear that could be Brereton Diaz, and I think we could sweeten that deal by offering a couple more loan players to Blackburn (assuming they don't go up - Ferguson, Roberts and Mitoma would be options)

So who replaces Biss? At this point it looks like Moder or Caicedo.

I'd extend Van Hecke's deal and let Duffy go. I'd bring back Matt Clarke for Burn's spot.

I think Khadra will challenge Trossard, and I'd bring back Cochrane and let Solly go.

D

Deleted member 2719

I think its wrong to call it a rebuild, a tweak would be my choice of words.

We are not Saudi Utd.

#trustinbloom
#trustinpotter
#nevertrustabedwetter

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Quite amused by the suggestion of 'off loading' so many players.

1) who would take them?
2) who is going to pay them PL wages?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Out.
Bissouma
Trossard
March
Duffy
MaCallister
Connolly
Gross

In.
Upgrades for all the above plus another striker, cb, amf and cover for Lamptey and Cucurella

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I’d move on Duffy, Biss and Trossard.

Duffy started well this season but doesn’t play with the same confidence in the system.
Biss clearly wants out
Trossard, regularly for me the biggest disappointment week in and week out…. Clearly has the ability from the games he has performed in but must be about one good game in 8/9 now so move him on.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Tross & Biss are playing like they have already left. Get what we can.

Solly - bless 'im. Not good enough
Duffy - thanks but ta-ra pet
Gross - too slow

The two over-hyped and over-paid sicknotes

Give the young bench-warmers (Caicedo, Sarmiento, Ferguson et al) an opportunity + Undav, Khadra. Recall Scherpen to provide competition for Big Bob.

Pretty much this for outgoings.Trossard I love on his day but appears for us anyway to be a 'luxury' player who rarely turns it on. Biss as I think we all know will be on his way.

Incomings : A new keeper : Scherpen?, Another CB, Upfront we have Undav and 1 more striker we need to go big on, and a dominant attacking central midfielder.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The big question for me is whether we go back to Union for Dante Vanzeir. A goalscoring winger with a seemingly telepathic partnership with Undav (37 goals between them this season). Belgian international. Normally I would say he is a definite must for next season, but with RUSG playing in Europe, how much does Tony want to strip them of attacking talent.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well then? Obviously this is all hypothetical, and we're probably going to stick to the mantra of 'evolution, not revolution', however we've actually been worse than last season despite being higher in the table for most of this season, we still can't score, but now we're not creating anywhere near as much and we haven't had the solid defence either. To be honest we could fnd ourselves in major s*** next season if we don't perform some significant surgery on that squad over the summer

Personally I don't think Undav on his own will be enough, so we could do with another forward coming in. Also think we need some added vision in the middle of the park, noticed that John Swift at Reading seems to have an expiring contract this summer, and leads the way for chances created in the championship by some distance for a poor side, so I'd be giving him a call, particularly if Groß doesn't stay. I also think we may sell Trossard, so another wide/attacking midfield player coming in could be necessary, someone like Johnson at Forest, particularly if the club feel that Khadra isn't ready. Not sure we need to replace Bissouma who will probably also go, think we're well stocked in that area, Caicedo can hopefully be the man we need. We could also definitely do with another left footed centre back, and in an ideal world an experienced keeper to help coach Sanchez.

In terms of departures, Trossard and Bissouma are two who I can envisage being sold, and I also think we need to have a clearout of the glut of central midfielders we have who are good with the ball at their feet but have absolutely zero end product. Obviously this all my own layman's opinion, however I do think the recruitment team have their work cut out this summer, that's for sure

In terms of departures, it depends if anyone wants to buy them - in some cases that's not a given!

I wonder how many of our 20 or so loanees will be given away - either free (end of contract) or for a nominal fee?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Bissouma, let's get as much as we can for him. Too much paper talk has clearly had a significant impact on his can't be arsed attitude of late.
Duffy, not good enough at this level.
Größ, big fan of his but his lack of pace can kill games and any counterattack.
Welbeck, too inconsistent and fragile.
Lallana, see above.
Maupay, genuinely had enough of watching him squander chance after chance. He's had more than enough opportunities to prove himself.
Trossard, doesn't seem happy at the moment. I'd like to see him sign a new contract but can see him moving on.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Sure - but it’s a fairly low threshold, and I am pretty sure we could do better
But it's not just our low threshold he's beating. He is for example the tenth best big chance creator in the division.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Out.
Bissouma
Trossard
March
Duffy
MaCallister
Connolly
Gross

In.
Upgrades for all the above plus another striker, cb, amf and cover for Lamptey and Cucurella

MacAllister??!

Apologies, but seriously WTF!

He is about our only midfield player with any idea……

Moder would be long gone for me before we reached MacAllister, (and I don’t want to get rid of Moder either)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The big question for me is whether we go back to Union for Dante Vanzeir. A goalscoring winger with a seemingly telepathic partnership with Undav (37 goals between them this season). Belgian international. Normally I would say he is a definite must for next season, but with RUSG playing in Europe, how much does Tony want to strip them of attacking talent.

There seems to be a bit of a consensus in Belgium football that he’s a likely transfer. Prestigious as the UCL group stage is, USG are very unlikely to progress and there’s far more money to be won just by staying in the Premier League, so I can see it happening, probably with young talent going the other way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here