Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your WORST ever holiday...

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
those people who actually own caravans in caravan parks must have numerous screws loose surely? caravans are literally the worst type of accommodation...if you have the money to buy a caravan, put the money towards a real house instead

mental, absolutely mental

I think you miss the point, owning a caravan is a lot cheaper the buying a house. It's also does not mean that because you own a caravan, you do not own a house. You can buy a good caravan for about 15,000 if you shop around. Stick it on a holiday campsite and rent it out for the season. During high season you can get £600+ a week. I have a few friends who have them as investments and make a lot of money out of it.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I think you miss the point, owning a caravan is a lot cheaper the buying a house. It's also does not mean that because you own a caravan, you do not own a house. You can buy a good caravan for about 15,000 if you shop around. Stick it on a holiday campsite and rent it out for the season. During high season you can get £600+ a week. I have a few friends who have them as investments and make a lot of money out of it.

That's just profiting from the misery of others. It sounds like a gypsy pyramid scheme.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Holidays are for rich people. I'd rather save hard for a season ticket.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Holidays are for rich people. I'd rather save hard for a season ticket.

So would I. It's the missus who moans about needing a holiday. Doesn't she realise that every day spent with me is like a day in paradise?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
A week in Barcelona. I was on my own but I've had lots of holidays on my own so that didn't bother me - Barcelona being such a hell hole did. I've never seen such a miserable place - there seemed to be a druggie or a prostitute on every corner. Struggled to find anywhere to eat or drink - there are plenty of bars and restaurants but it was impossible to get served in them, ended up buying food from supermarkets and eating in my hotel.

After a couple of days, I abandoned my hotel (that had been paid for), caught the train to France and spent the rest of the week in a more civilised country, eating and drinking to my heart's content, returning to Spain on the day before my flight back. I spent the night in Girona which restored my faith in Spain somewhat. But I certainly have no intention of returning to Barcelona, a sort of Spanish version of Croydon.

Yeah. There's NOTHING to see there. I'd rather go caravanning in Mundesley any day of the week with a bunch of hatchet faced council estate denizens from Newport.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Even better, buy a static caravan in a French campsite where the facilities are 100% better than in this country and generally the weather is better too. I know people who rent theirs out and also those who commute every weekend in summer to their own caravan.

donnygull

Aug 22, 2009
Doncaster,S. Yorks
To be fair. Norfolk is pretty shit without having to live in a caravan as well.

Couldn't disagree more, we go to North Norfolk regularly. Blakeney, Cley & Holkham (one of the best beaches in the country) in tents & we've stayed in cottages. Fab food, great beer (Woodfordes Wherry) & beautiful countryside. But yes, statics are sh*t no matter where they are !

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Even better, buy a static caravan in a French campsite where the facilities are 100% better than in this country and generally the weather is better too. I know people who rent theirs out and also those who commute every weekend in summer to their own caravan.

We came close to doing this a few years ago but the £4,000 a year ground rent put us off on top of the initial lay out of £20,000 to buy the static caravan

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We came close to doing this a few years ago but the £4,000 a year ground rent put us off on top of the initial lay out of £20,000 to buy the static caravan

You can get used ones cheaper than that which are in good condition. The ground rent depends on the site.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
15 years ago went to greece with my bird at the time.....was nice until one day at a pool she said "fetch my sunglasses for me" - when they where nearer her .....i told her to do one.....she went MENTAL......the next day (after sleeping apart) we met her mum (who lived in Greece) - she was a drunk, false, arty type who shagged waiters.....i saw how my girl at the time would 80% chance end up like her mum, i could only see her mum in her.

the next day i finished with her, with 3 days left to go, and i found a nice ibiza style beach bar with hot chicks, booze, and groovy dancing. we got the plane back together and she did not look happy.

heheh.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Buy a static caravan and the depreciation over a number of years is incredible ,but the ground rent keeps going up .As an investment it is bottom of the table of timeshares .

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012

£4000 rent for a patch of grass in a desolate field sounds a bit steep. I'd rather sleep in the car.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
A cheapo holiday in Estartit Spain many moons ago.
After having endured many wet summer hols on the trot in UK decided on a sun holiday in Spain.
The "villa" was shit. Baby cot we had paid for never arrived in the fortnight we were there. Babe had to sleep between me and Mrs. Ofco so that she didn't fall out of bed.
It rained so much, i.e 10 out of 14 days that kids were floating toy boats down the road.
Decided to hire a car for 2 days and they were the only sun days so instead of using car went on beach. Waste of cash.
Couldn't face a Spanish holiday for years after.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am with you on this one Banjo.
:smile:

And me always had good holidays I suppose one was notable near Paris where we robbed first night and all cash and both car keys were stolen but we got it all sorted in the end.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And me always had good holidays I suppose one was notable near Paris where we robbed first night and all cash and both car keys were stolen but we got it all sorted in the end.

Losing all your money is a pisser for sure. Same happened to me in Moscow. Went there for a vacation about 6 years ago, on the first day went and drew out all the spending money for both me and the Frau for 10 days....went to a bar/cafe place to meet some friends, left my wallet on a bar never to be seen again. Losing that amount of money was nothing compared to the bollocking I got from the Frau when we got back to the hotel.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
That's just profiting from the misery of others. It sounds like a gypsy pyramid scheme.

You say misery, you had a bad experience. If holidaying in a caravan was that bad for everyone, they would be not caravan parks. It's an investment and if you have children going to uni, it can work out a lot cheaper then renting. 3 bedroom caravan your child stays in it for free and they find two others to pay and it saves a lot on uni debt.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here