Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your worst Albion striker?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I politely suggest you cease spouting off rubbish about me, and who I work for, on a public forum, forthwith. Thanks.

Fair enough. I'll do that when you desist from starting an NSC thread on one subject while posting a self-serving link to an only-vaguely-related other subject. Deal?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Dickie Tiltman, his fecking Gaz Top mullet was enough for me. Connor, Fashanu, Saunders, Biley, Ferguson then Tiltman - it was a horror when we got that far down the list. If there's a defender category - wasn't Grant Horscroft in the same team?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Fair enough. I'll do that when you desist from starting an NSC thread on one subject while posting a self-serving link to an only-vaguely-related other subject. Deal?

Er, no. Can you not read?

I've explained, more than once, what the piece was about.

'Self-serving'?! What's the point in writing an article if no-one reads it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Er, no. Can you not read?

I've explained, more than once, what the piece was about.

'Self-serving'?! What's the point in writing an article if no-one reads it?

So what was this thread primarily all about then? You tell me :shrug: Was it a chance for NSC posters to reminisce about their worst Albion striker? Or a blatant plug - a la Timmy - for your local paper column? I think we both know the answer.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Nathen Elder was pretty pants, so too was Graham Barrett who was signed as a striker and scored once for us.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Liam Dickinson and Craig Davies were shite for how much money we paid for them at the time and the league we were in.

I would have thought McPhee, Ramsey, Robinson and Gatting were all massively over rated at the time as they were local lads, all never achieved anything of great success.

Could never quite work out where it went wrong for Jake, having been fortunate enough to witness his hat trick at Huddersfield.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
All the votes for Tilts irritate me a bit, he was playing at the same level we are now, and actually scored the same number of league goals as O'Grady (last season) and more than Best and Paynter did, not to mention that donkey from Spurs - name escapes me. He basically suffered for being seen as Saunders replacement, who clearly he was nowhere near as good as, he was still relatively young as well.

Do people seriously believe that when we were in league 2 the quality was better? Mahoney-Johnson and Stafford Browne for me .

In total agreement. Tiltman was bad, but some of those 'strikers' we had at Gillingham were clearly much worse.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
So what was this thread primarily all about then? You tell me :shrug: Was it a chance for NSC posters to reminisce about their worst Albion striker? Or a blatant plug - a la Timmy - for your local paper column? I think we both know the answer.

I've only done it once before. I didn't even post my column when I wrote a piece on NSC, which I ran past Darren first.

If you consider me self-serving then perhaps - in regards to actually wanting people to read it - I am.

I prefer to think of it like this: I've written a piece on the Albion and I want Albion fans to read it. Where's the place Albion fans congregate? Common sense.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
In total agreement. Tiltman was bad, but some of those 'strikers' we had at Gillingham were clearly much worse.

I never saw Tiltman play. Was he really that bad?

The fact he 'replaced' Saunders - a cracking player - seems to have tarnished his reputation?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In terms of technique Liam Dickinson was probably the funniest Albion striker I've seen.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I second the nomination of Mick bloody Ferguson, too.
I saw him score once. More accurately, I saw Noel Blake become the only player to score an own goal whilst "under pressure" from Mick Ferguson, who then claimed it.

Damien Hilton and Richard Tiltman were both shite of course, but Michael Mahoney Johnson takes the honours for me simply because he thought he was too good to play for us. Turns out he was somehow not even good enough to play for the 91st best team in the league so we sent him back. Cock.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I never saw Tiltman play. Was he really that bad?

The fact he 'replaced' Saunders - a cracking player - seems to have tarnished his reputation?
RT wouldn't be mentioned on this thread if he hadn't gently headed a guilt edge chance softly into an incredibly surprised and very grateful John Lukic's arms.

I believe when the cross came in and Tilt's found himself all alone 6 yards from goal, Lukic, to save time turned and walked into his goal, so he was ready to get the ball from the back of the net.
After a quick swig of drink, he wiped his hands then looked for the ball.
He looked back over his shoulder to see Tilters had headed the ball so tamely, Lukic was able to kick both boots clean on the post.
Then amble back into the dead centre of the goal, where he caught the ball.

I want to be completely unfair and add Rafael Meade to the list, but I know that's only because he wasn't Mickey Small, which isn't in the spirit of the question.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If were going on fee to quality ratio, as much as I liked the guy and I don't say a bad word about him as he did try his all, but CMS has to be in the equation.

Maybe a little harsh.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If were going on fee to quality ratio, as much as I liked the guy and I don't say a bad word about him as he did try his all, but CMS has to be in the equation.

Maybe a little harsh.
A touch. In the season and a half before he got that injury, which was career changing, he was actually our top scorer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here