Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your worst Albion related howler?

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Inpsired by someone on another thread getting the date of tonights game wrong and thinking it is tomorrow reminded me of my worst howler.

About 20 years or more ago me and my brother travelled up to Swansea for a cup tie in my trusty Skoda 120LSE! Well I say trusty it had a dodgy radio and the heater matrix was knackered and had a hole in it which I plugged with chewing gum on a previous away trip to Bournemouth! We set off late after a last minute decision to go and drove through torrential rain almost all the way there. Entering Swansea it seemed bereft off any football traffic or fans and it wasn't until we pulled up outside the old Vetch Field that we realised the game had been postponed! Doh, a 9 hour round trip in battered old Skoda for nothing!

What are your howlers?

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Arrived at a League Cup game with Brentford at the Goldstone years ago just in time to hear the crowd celebrating our second goal go in because I'd ballsed up the kick-off time.

Also once asked a mate why we'd changed our strip at half time away at Orient as the team emerged for the second half. He pointed out that most games involve two teams, and I was in fact looking at Orient. :blush:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I once accidently sang that I was a "Right Side" Brighton boy, when in fact I was on the left side.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I went to Huddersfield last season.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
There's always that really awkward bit in the middle though, Superphil, where it could go either way, as they say. Don't feel bad.

Sadly not on this occasion, it was a howler, I was very much in the wrong place, and singing as loudly as I possible could :blush:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I arrived late at Wokings ground in an FA Cup game just as a goal went in after I'd bustled through the turnstile, couldn't see the pitch. I began leaping around celebrating (natually assuming the mighty Albion had put the non-leaguers to the sword), but then stopped very quickly when I realised it was the home team that had scored.

I think we went on to win though.

I arrived late at Boundary Park, Oldham, for a league match ion 1990.

been there before so knew exactly where the away end turnstile was. Got there just as the teams were cominhg out so kick off extemely imminent.

get to the turnstile. hand the block behind the grille £3.50 or so and run in. Look up and think "My God we've brought THOUSANDS!!!!!!!!"

Except, it was a week before their League Cup Final (of FA Cup Semi final, I forget which), and they've move the away fans off to a tiny pen on the side, and the end behind the goal where I am, is fit to busting with people wearing "Joe Royle's blue and white army" and "Wembley 1990" tat.

Oh,AND Any Ritchie scored, AND we lost 6-1 playing in pink!!!!!!!!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Back in the 70s, the first ever away game I went to on my own was away to Southend. Didn't know the ground, arrived late and could hear the chants of Seasiders (this was before we became the Seagulls), so piled into the ground, only to find myself in the home end!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
away at swindon, after an abysmal display by kurt nogan we brought on simon fox.
he got the ball, jinked past a few defenders and curled a shot inside the far post.

cue me, running down to the front of the (wet) stand shouting..'thats how you do it nogan you over paid fuckin GOON, we need to bring the kids on to show you how to fuckin do it'

then my bruv tugged my sleave and said...'bruv...he missed'

:down:

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
On reflection you think I would have learnt from my Swansea debacle but alas no I didn't! In my defence this isn#t an Albion related howler but all the same it was still a howler. My mate is a big Argyle fan and they drew Pompey in the cup, he wanted to go down to Dog Shit City to watch the game so I went with him to take the opportunity to shout abuse at Pompey. Yet again by the time we got there the game was off, I think it may even have been the wrong week! In my defence I was totally relying on my mate knowing when the bleeding fixture was scheduled for!! The car that day - Old shape Rover SD1 with a 3500cc V8. When we got there I turned to him and said, "you know what you are Adam?", "What" he replied, " A f***ing devonian c.unt" I chortled. I still greet him thus to this day.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I once accidently sang that I was a "Right Side" Brighton boy, when in fact I was on the left side.

Were you behind the goal at Swindon on Saturday. I heard somebody trying to start, we are the right side. :facepalm:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It's not particularly gruesome.

I celebrated a 1-0 win against Rushden, unknowing that that our goal was disallowed. It didn't quite twig when their manager passed the (now) family stand holding up one finger (not the central one).

My father and I popped down to see us against Reading (?) and we were clearly the last people tohear it had been called off. I think we beat them 3-1 in the resultant match.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Were you behind the goal at Swindon on Saturday. I heard somebody trying to start, we are the right side. :facepalm:

Nope, We were in the stand.

Back to Albion related howlers, Matt Sparrow in his second match for the club.......

we all come from medway towns!!!!!!

I was in the gillingham end waiting for it to kick off must have been 77ish,it all went mental i grabbed a gillingham guys flat cap which was all the fashion around that time,he gave chase i pegged it through the police lines back to the brighton side of the stand,but he caught up and told a copper that i had his hat in my hand,i swore blind it was mine! completly forgot i was already wearing my own flat cap:facepalm: and its been down hill since then:tosser:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here