Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your worse awayday with the Albion..

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
My immediate thought was the Palace 5-0. Truly dreadful.

However I also had a very bad trip to Wolves where we lost 3-0, and because I had used an out of date student railcard got stung for the whole fare again, as well as the discounted one I had already paid. So basically cost me an arm and a leg to see us lose limply. It must have been late 80s.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
This.

And then it bloody rained on us.

A highlight. My mate was stood waiting behind a line of police horses when it pissed on him. The only smile of the day.

Think the cavelrey was a PVC Barca?:lolol::lolol:

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Although the 5-0 is up there and my number 1, what about the 7-1 defeat at Huddersfield in 2009 with Smith in goal, or going all the way to Carrow Road in the snow for an FA Cup game to find out they turned the under-pitch heating and floodlights at the same time and the electrical switchboard caught on fire? "Mr Carrow is in the ground" the announcer said "I repeat, Mr Carrow is in the ground"... With the Brighton fans singing "Mr Carrow is a w..ker"

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
For anyone of a certain age Palace 5-0 away is the only candidate, the only saving grace is it could have been 10 on another day.

Had the longest ever phone in, 90 mins on air, the Non League half hour got binned, and we still had callers waiting at 6.30.

Then drove home but was still back in Worthing before the mates who got kept it by the Croydon Gestapo

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Palace 5 - 0 Brighton.

Got kept in at the final whistle, then let out and all Albion fans were marched to the train station by The Met. I remember it kicking off a bit in some open pedestrian area and those at the back surging forward causing those of us at the front to get pushed into the cops at the front who weren't impressed.

Got back to Brighton station to find my car had been xlamped. Eventually got back to mid-Sussex for last orders. 4 of us went home but one of the group popped to the pub for a pint, got chatting at the bar to a young lady and ended up married with children! He'll never forget that day for several reasons.

Also had a bad experience at Ninian Park on a wet and cold tues/weds evening back in about 2000. Think we drew or lost and had to walk back across a massive car park to the car. Some of their top boys singled us out but thankfully the rozzers appeared on horses before things got out of hand.

My exact order of bad away games.

The 5-0 clearly in front.

But a few hairy experiences at Ninian Park made for some horrible away days as well

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
The Palace game was the worse, next was Bristol Rovers who were playing in Bath I think. Left at the crack of dawn so we could explore the town have a few beers and something to eat endured about 4 hold ups along the way including the M25 being closed and ended up illegally parking outside the ground about 3.15, finally got inside to find we were 1-0 down, im pretty sure they scored another soon after as well.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
going all the way to Carrow Road in the snow for an FA Cup game to find out they turned the under-pitch heating and floodlights at the same time and the electrical switchboard caught on fire? "Mr Carrow is in the ground" the announcer said "I repeat, Mr Carrow is in the ground"... With the Brighton fans singing "Mr Carrow is a w..ker"

I remember that. It wasn't too bad though, we disappeared to the pub for a couple of hours.

I remember we went to Bristol Rovers when it was pissing down. We were listening to the sports reports on the way down as various matches were being called off, but the Brighton game wasn't one of them.

We got to Eastville and found the match had been called off about 10 minutes previously.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Palace 5-0 without a doubt.
Oldham 6-1 in a blizzard
Halifax night game all the way up there and it was called off.
Villa promotion season
Middlesboro not promotion season
Oldham every other time we played there

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Palace 5-0 obviously. If I were to pick out another one I'd go for a midweek trip to Hillsborough when after a hard fought 88 minutes in the freezing cold Leon Best popped up to score their winner. Roadworks on all the motorways home, including the scenic route through Sussex meant we did not get home until about 3.30/4am. That was pretty sh*t.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Palace game was the worse, next was Bristol Rovers who were playing in Bath I think. Left at the crack of dawn so we could explore the town have a few beers and something to eat endured about 4 hold ups along the way including the M25 being closed and ended up illegally parking outside the ground about 3.15, finally got inside to find we were 1-0 down, im pretty sure they scored another soon after as well.

The BR away game, played at Bath was an absolute cracking weekend . . . . football was dire, nice setting for a non league ground, BUT, we went to Bristol afterwards as I had a few mates at Uni there, and an old scootering mate who still lives nr Glastonbury . . . . went to see the JAmes Tsaylor Quartet at the UNi, then clubbing in the THeckla ( boat )

fell asleep on a sofa and poured by own drink all over myself . . . . sorted ourselves out with a MASSIVE fry up at a cafe at the top of the hill in CLifton in the morning and headed home. cracking weekend. 1994? 95?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Forgot another one...

Drove all the way to Halifax mid-week around 15/20 years ago. Got to the turnstile to be told the game had just been called off due to a waterlogged pitch. Had a pizza in a restaurant nearby and drove all the way home again.

Also remember a shit night in Scunthorpe around the same time. Lost 1-2. What a shithole.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I loosely recall doing an 18 hour shift at work after the night staff called in sick, then going straight from work to watch us lose 6 - 0 at West Ham. I can’t be sure though, it was all a bit fever-dreamish.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

For disappointment vs. expectation that 0-6 hammering at Upton Park was truly awful.. Didnt really see any trouble to be honest but the selection from Poyet just gave you the sense that something bad was going to happen. Dire in more respects was a 0-1 loss at Oldham in about 1990. Awful, open-ended terrace, wind, sleet and rain (No coat - i was a cool student and didnt think about taking one!) and the match was awful.. Oldham marginally better than us but not by much! Only silver lining of that day was that I only had to travel back to Uni at Hull, albeit the journey was shocking because of sleet/snow going over the Penines. As depressing a day from a footballing perspective that I have experienced..

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Lost 1-0 at Deepdale. Freezing cold. I think Mullery had the hump with Peter Ward, who wasn’t even a substitute. Miserable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here