Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fawlty Towers
Red Dwarf
Drop the dead donkey
Black Adder
Only fools and horses

Falwty Towers being the only one that I seem to be able to watch
over and over again and still find funny even though I must know all the lines off by heart.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
blackadder
alan partridge
red dwarf
the office
league of gentlemen

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
In no particular order:

Fawlty towers, Blackadder, Simpsons, Father Ted, the Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin.

Bubbling under:

Porridge, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads, League of Gentlemen, Steptoe and Son, Rising Damp

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
It's interesting how lots of people are posting The Simpsons alongside stuff like Fawlty Towers and Blackadder.

I think the Simpsons is great, but there's a school of thought that says it ain't a sitcom... notably a guy called Mark Lewisohn who's written the Radio Times guide to TV Comedy... listing every British and US comedy programme up to about 1999 (which was when it was published). He sets out what it and what isn't included at the start: and deliberately ignores anything quiz-based (so no Have I Got News For You or Shooting Stars) and animated.

Presumably because this means he'd have to include, for example, Foghorn Leghorn alongside Victor Meldrew, and comparisons could be tricky there.

Having said that, the Simpsons has all the hallmarks of a sitcom such as regular characters, regular locations, physical comedy and running jokes.. it just happens to be animated. Should we be discriminating against the two-dimensional? Discuss!

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
Simpsons
Only Fools and Horses
They Think It's All Over
Bo Selecta
The Royle Family

and probably loads i've forgotten.

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
It's interesting how lots of people are posting The Simpsons alongside stuff like Fawlty Towers and Blackadder.

I think the Simpsons is great, but there's a school of thought that says it ain't a sitcom... notably a guy called Mark Lewisohn who's written the Radio Times guide to TV Comedy... listing every British and US comedy programme up to about 1999 (which was when it was published). He sets out what it and what isn't included at the start: and deliberately ignores anything quiz-based (so no Have I Got News For You or Shooting Stars) and animated.

Presumably because this means he'd have to include, for example, Foghorn Leghorn alongside Victor Meldrew, and comparisons could be tricky there.

Having said that, the Simpsons has all the hallmarks of a sitcom such as regular characters, regular locations, physical comedy and running jokes.. it just happens to be animated. Should we be discriminating against the two-dimensional? Discuss!

So his and his definition alone defines what is humour.
Bugger Mark Lewisohn, if you're a fan of schadenfreude you'd probably find ER funny.
So essentially it's anything on TV that makes you laugh. Whatever it may be. :thumbsup2

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
1. Blackadder
2. Men Behaving Badly
3. Friends
4. Father Ted
5. Red Dwarf (exept the final series, which was pants)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Office
Cheers
The Simpsons
Royle Family
The Club (skit from Vic and Bobs show but i had to include it coz it gets me every time).

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
1) Filthy, Rich and Catflap
2) Young Ones
3) The Simpsons
4) South Park
5) The Office

:smokin:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home