Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your team for Italy

Stumpy Tim

I would choose this team, but have a nasty feeling Roy might go for Milner rather than Barkley. He is a naturally cautious coach and both teams will likely be happy with a point. Milner will provide protection if Johnson gets caught too far up the pitch.

I don't think he will. He's got a lot of goodwill from his squad pick, and would lose a lot of that if he changes tack now. Also, Milner has barely played in an advanced role in the warm-up games.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
I don't understand the argument that you leave Sterling and Barkley on the bench until the last 20 minutes when the Italian defence is "tired". If you're Italy and already 2-0 up you won't be feeling tired, just euphoric at the prospect of victory and that your opponents left their two most dangerous players out of the starting line-up.

Besides, Italy won't be tired. They scarificed most of their preparation time for climate adjustment/condition training, so I wouldn't count on Gli Azzurri getting tired. Actually, in the Brazilian climate it is English players who are more likely to struggle in the last 10-15 minutes of their games.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've not got a clue about most of these players but given the heat and humidy and the fact Italy have been practicing keeping possession I'd go with whoever can best keep the ball. Playing any other way will be suicidal.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I put Milner instead of the likes of Sterling, because playing a pacey game from the start will be difficult, we can surprise the Italians with the pace of players like Sterling midway through the second half. I also put Jones instead of Johnson, because well you know... Johnson has a reputation for being, well, Gash.

Hart

Jones~Cahill~Jagielka~Baines

Gerrard~Henderson

Milner~Barkley~Lallana

Sturridge

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One thing the introduction of Sterling and Barkley on 70 mins will not be is a surprise. The Italians will counter with the introduction of a holding midfielder to assist the defence. And historically they are one of the best at defending a 1-0 lead.

Funnily enough Martinez and Rodgers are both happy to start those two. They are young and fresh, if they can't get through 90 minutes now they never will.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Hart
Johnson cahill Jagielka Baines
Gerrard
Henderson Sterling
Lallana
Rooney
Sturridge

Bring on Barkley for lallana/Sterling at HT

dan4bha

Mar 27, 2014
GK Hart
RB Johnson (Hate to play him, but there really isnt anyone else)
LB Baines
CB Cahill
CB Jagielka
CM Gerrard
CM Henderson
RAM Ox (if fit)
CAM Lallana
LAM Sterling
ST Sturridge

If Ox isnt fit, which seems likely for the first games at least. Then I'd have Wilshere CAM, with Lallana RAM

countryman

Jun 28, 2011

Hart

Jones~Cahill~Jagielka~Baines

Gerrard~Henderson

Barkley~Welbeck~Lallana
Rooney

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The thought that Glen Johnson is England's Number One right back makes me want to cry.

He was truly woeful in 2010 but much better in 2012. Hopefully he'll continue on that trajectory.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Hart

Johnson - Cahill - Jagielka - Baines

Henderson - Gerrard

Sterling - Lallana - Welbeck

Sturridge

I would drop Rooney, but it will never happen.
When was the last time he took a player on and beat him?
When was the last time he made a great pass?
When was the last time time he scored a goal against a decent side?

I would add, why can he not control a simple pass with his first touch. It's like watching a different player when he has pulled on an England shirt in the last two tournaments.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
HART

JOHNSON ~ CAHILL ~ JAGIELKA ~ BAINS

GERRARD ~ LAMPARD

STERLING ~ ROONEY ~ LALLANA

STURRIDGE​

Experience in the middle is where the games won! With pace up top, and Rooney linking things together, this team has all the attacking FLAIR and defensive EXPERIENCE international teams need!

You will not see Gerrard and Lampard in the same team during this world cup. If Gerrard is fit i cant see Lampard getting any game time at all.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Hart
Johnson Cahill Jagielka Baines
Gerrard Henderson
Sterling Barkley Lallana
Sturridge

We need to expose Italys defence and we aren't going to do that by shutting up shop, we just need to have a bit of confidence in the defence with Gerrard and Henderson and just go for it!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Sterling instead of Welbeck and I'd completely agree with you

The only reason I went with Welbeck over Sterling for this game is that he hasn't played that much in the friendlies and I think if he comes on after an hour against an Italian defence that is tiring in the heat he'll cause them all kinds of trouble. Ideally Welbeck would help restrict Pirlo. And force Italy to run more as a result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here