Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your starter for ten ...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
are we assuming that 'due north' is in the general direction of the hole rather than backwards from the tee?
Back to work

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
When you say "due north" is that magnetic north?
It the hole was on the exact north pole, I don't think the right angle can be assumed.
Mind, way too cold to play gold at the north pole so clearly not the case.

I like the: While you're building a house which is square with all sides facing south. What colour was the bear that came passing by?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
When you say "due north" is that magnetic north?
It the hole was on the exact north pole, I don't think the right angle can be assumed.
Mind, way too cold to play gold at the north pole so clearly not the case.

I like the: While you're building a house which is square with all sides facing south. What colour was the bear that came passing by?

White.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
When at school I was always interested in how applied maths could be used.

My father-in-law is a builder and he has a loop of string exactly 12 metres with finger sized loops [for little ground pegs] spaced 3, 4 & 5 metres apart.
He uses this to build walls that need to be exactly square, he doesn't know who Pythagoras is [he thought he might of played up-front for Greece in the Euros once].
So, unknowingly, Pythagoras therory can be applied in a very practical way without even realising.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
When at school I was always interested in how applied maths could be used.

My father-in-law is a builder and he has a loop of string exactly 12 metres with finger sized loops [for little ground pegs] spaced 3, 4 & 5 metres apart.
He uses this to build walls that need to be exactly square, he doesn't know who Pythagoras is [he thought he might of played up-front for Greece in the Euros once].
So, unknowingly, Pythagoras therory can be applied in a very practical way without even realising.
It must come up in all sorts of practical situations where people need a right angle. Groundsmen doing sports pitch marking is one I have experience of... we used to use a long tape measure and do a sort of massive protractors exercise scoring curves in the grass with a peg and then running strings through the intersection points.

I hope your father-in-law's string is not the type that can stretch...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here