Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your smallest ever away crowd (that you were part of).

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
There weren't many at Ian Chapmans debut at Birmingham. Hereford away in the Sherpa Van Trophy (never sure what it was called) midweek. There was a blizzard in darkness the whole way, then suddenly Hereford appeared below us swathed in sunlight. Not a bad turn out, but when it went to extra time half the Brighton left to catch the last train. They missed Gerry Armstrong score the winner. I saw him headbut someone in the crowd the next year at Southwick away. Also Scunthorpe v Southend. Our coach was heading for Hull v BHA and it was called off as we approached the Humber. We hadn't seen Brighton win away for so long that we all got excited because Southend were on a great run. Scunthorpe scored the fasted goal of the season and ran out 4 nil winners. The Southend fans accused us of being Albatrosses not seagulls.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Torquay away on New Year's Day in the Great Escape season. Lost 2-1 and sure there were only about 50 or so away fans there. Was so cold on the open terrace that they moved us into the seats.

Also I remember a midweek reserve fixture or LDV/Sherpa Van game at Craven Cottage around that period where it was equally as cold. Can't find any details of it, but think we lost 3-0 and there were about 20 Albion fans there.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
They missed Gerry Armstrong score the winner. I saw him headbut someone in the crowd the next year at Southwick away.

Difficult to know how many 'away fans' there would have been there. For instance, I treated it as a 'home' match against Brighton!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
There weren't many at Ian Chapmans debut at Birmingham.
[emoji23]How ever many were there at 3.00pm there was one fewer at 3.01pm as a youthful MG fell foul of Thatcher’s recently introduced laws about being drunk at football.... interesting experience for a pretty naive chap (led round the pitch, locked up under the main stand, etc)... started to be less fun when the booze wore off at the nick and I was faced with a solo trip back up to Birmingham Magistrates Court the following week...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone remember when we played I think it was mk dons in the Mickey Mouse cup at withdean where there about 10 of their fans and they were sat in the south stand near the middle!

I did the radio that night with levo, and had 2 calls all night!

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Yes! That was 91/2. But the turn out at that game was huge compared to the previous season.

The game in 90/1 was played in midweek (it was postponed earlier in the season). Newcastle were having a poor season. It poured with rain the whole match (no cover for the away fans). It was the most AWFUL match which inevitably ended up 0-0. I reckon there were about 40 in the away end. The attendance at St James Park that night was just 12,692! Yes - twelve thousand! So whenever I hear people banging on about Newcastle and their AMAZING support I roll my eyes....

I’d travelled up for the original fixture only to find out as we arrived in Newcastle that it was snowed off. Having made the effort for the original game we decided to go to the rearranged fixture. Due to some over zealous policing I only got to see the first half. Two trips to Newcastle for 45 minutes of football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Blimey watching the shots away in the 80's many trips to the far North in a minibus ,i'd go for 9 of us at Hartlepool March 87 the day after The Herald of Free Enterprise went down. Last Saturday we had 175 at Hartlepool. Football was terrible but the day was grand ,beers had in Darlo,Boro ,Hartlepool,Newcastle and Durham . Got back to the local in the wilds of County Durham at 10pm to find it shut due to a do at the WMC .

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
I’d travelled up for the original fixture only to find out as we arrived in Newcastle that it was snowed off. Having made the effort for the original game we decided to go to the rearranged fixture. Due to some over zealous policing I only got to see the first half. Two trips to Newcastle for 45 minutes of football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

From what I remember of the second half, I’d say that you should be grateful to the police for removing you from the ground so early!

rdigs24

Southampton seagull
Jan 21, 2012
Southampton
That was the only time that I counted our crowd. I made it 52 - with 13 in the seats (a narrow section adjacent to the corner terrace) and 39 on that terrace. 3 of us travelled by car from Rotherham.

I remember it was absolutely tipping it down and we were all stood on the corner terrace watching us get stuffed. The stewards refused to take pity on us and open the gate to the (empty covered) stand next to us..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Never counted them, but when in Liverpool in the late 60s and early 70s, I can vouch for the fact that were weren't many Albion fans on cold, wet mid-week evenings at the likes of Tranmere and Southport!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here