Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Premier League Club

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I know someone who grew up as a Liverpool fan but moved to Brighton when he was a teenager and became a Brighton fan, season ticket holder at Withdean and still one at the Amex BUT also still supports Liverpool equally although he can only watch about 5 of their games a season which he fits in when Brighton aren't playing.

I asked him about next season and he said he wants both teams to win their home games against each other.

He is going to be in bits on the last game of the season if they both need a win for something crucial!

So if one team does the double over the other, how will he feel? He is trying to have it both ways and that can never work in the emotionally draining world of football. If ( hypothetically speaking ) both clubs were meeting in a Cup Final or had to meet in the final game of the season to decide the title, which colours would he pin to which mast. Only one team can be winners in that situation.
Supporting BHA takes too much out of me to even contemplate reserving something for another team as well. I would suspect that he holds marginal favouritism for one over the other but would never admit it publicly.
I grew up well away from Sussex and started to follow a top flight side when I was at primary school. When my family moved to Sussex ( I was 8 at the time ) I watched my first live match at the Goldstone and from then on I was hooked. I knew I had got the original support out of my system, when the two clubs met in the 70's and I was fully behind the Albion.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
So if one team does the double over the other, how will he feel? He is trying to have it both ways and that can never work in the emotionally draining world of football. If ( hypothetically speaking ) both clubs were meeting in a Cup Final or had to meet in the final game of the season to decide the title, which colours would he pin to which mast. Only one team can be winners in that situation.
Supporting BHA takes too much out of me to even contemplate reserving something for another team as well. I would suspect that he holds marginal favouritism for one over the other but would never admit it publicly.
I grew up well away from Sussex and started to follow a top flight side when I was at primary school. When my family moved to Sussex ( I was 8 at the time ) I watched my first live match at the Goldstone and from then on I was hooked. I knew I had got the original support out of my system, when the two clubs met in the 70's and I was fully behind the Albion.

Funnily enough, I asked him a few weeks ago (before the fixtures came out) what he would do if Liverpool played Brighton on the last day; Brighton need a win to stay up, Liverpool need a win to win the league, who would he want to win?

His answer was Brighton, as staying up could be critical for their long term plans and relegation was a worse scenario than missing out on the league title. So by your theory, he obviously does favour Brighton over Liverpool slightly!

After the fixtures came out we both said "Please no!"

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
My dad was never a proper fan but in the 70's 'followed' Liverpool and taught some of the players. Brought up in the 80's and 90's in Sussex with a Sussex mum I would support Brighton and keep up to date with what Liverpool were doing. Brother was a Liverpool fan but like Dad football was never his first sport.

I could go to the occasional Brighton game with friends at Withdean though was a long way from Hastings to meet Brighton based friends for that as a pre-teen or young teen.

Dad would take me to 2-3 away games a year when we would find an excuse like visiting relatives or something at the right time. Would return the favour and show a mild interest in 2-3 Liverpool games on the tele with him but he only ever really bothered with cup finals etc.

Would still rather they beat 18 of the other EPL teams but couldn't care less if they loose even for the initial 10 seconds.......... Brighton is a totally different thing.

It's like rooting against certain teams doesn't make them a rival like palarse........ taking a side in the occasional EPL game for historic or personal reasons can be totally different to supporting a team. Just like when an International team that's not England mildly makes you smile as they beat a team or country you dislike. You don't care that much but sport and 'neutral' sport often is better if you have a 'side' be that through betting, under-dog status or some storeyline like hating a cheating scum on the other side.

That all said, I reckon 19/20 people with 2 teams are probably quite plastic, it all depends.

I'd be far closer to being split if we (Brighton) played Hastings as then I can honestly say 1% of me would hope Hastings at least did well and respectfully. When we play Liverpool I hope we win 11-0

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Funnily enough, I asked him a few weeks ago (before the fixtures came out) what he would do if Liverpool played Brighton on the last day; Brighton need a win to stay up, Liverpool need a win to win the league, who would he want to win?

His answer was Brighton, as staying up could be critical for their long term plans and relegation was a worse scenario than missing out on the league title. So by your theory, he obviously does favour Brighton over Liverpool slightly!

After the fixtures came out we both said "Please no!"

I think you may have flushed him out.
Forsaking the first title win for Liverpool in 28 years for Brighton staying up is quite a shout for someone with supposed divided loyalties.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's somewhat understandable for people around the area to do it considering 30 odd years of not much to cheer about, c10 years in particular of absolutely dire football. Especially those born in the 80's and beyond.

Everybody has their limit, some through relegations, lack of investment, ***** for owners, loss of the goldstone, 70 miles to a home game, terrible views, getting drenched, lack of progression etc. As someone born in the 80's myself I never 'supported' another club as it has always seemed quite strange to me, but after gillingham I never got on board with 'coming home' and it was a few seasons before I frequented withdean.

However, I would have expected most to have put to bed whatever other 'affiliations' they had ever since we moved into a real home with the real possibility of pushing on as a club and getting back to where we all want/think we should be.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Unless he just told him what he wanted to hear :wink:

Haha, no, he definitely meant it!

To be fair, he goes to every Brighton home game and at least 10-15 away every season since the mid 80's so it's obvious that he loves the club and no way could he want them to be relegated, even if it means Liverpool losing out on another title.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I know someone who has had Arsenal season for years, When we moved to Amex he in addition got a season here.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hook them when they were young. In the old Division 4 in the sixties, I debated whether it was worthwhile until we signed Bobby Smith I.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Never had any affection for any team but the Albion. But disliked some other teams more than others and indifferent to some.

20 odd years ago, living in canada, I used to record match of the day to watch in the evening or next day. My kids, aged about 10 at the time, wouldn't ask me which team I wanted to win....they would ask which team I most wanted to lose.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
... I would have expected most to have put to bed whatever other 'affiliations' they had ever since we moved into a real home with the real possibility of pushing on as a club and getting back to where we all want/think we should be.

If they had a long term passion for that other club since they were a kid, especially if prior to supporting the Albion, it will likely be in their 'DNA' forever.

Supporting a resurgent Albion now might not erase that.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
agree.

Its a Palace insult that appears to of stuck a bit.

I can honestly say I have never witnessed it in various stands at the Amex and been to pretty much all the games

Maybe it's a East Stand thing see it at virtually every game but arrive early so maybe it's timing too?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I've cheered many a Premier League goal, but not because of support of a Premier League team.

Because I'm a cynical so-and-so, my enthusiasm is usually focused on schadenfreude. If a team, player or manager I don't like is on the receiving end then I'll cheer the goal.

Underdog status often plays a part too.

:thumbsup:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Oh come on! Most Albion fans, come to think of it, any football fan, will cheer a goal if it's scored against a side that they despise. Or it could be an underdog goal against top opposition. It's a momentary celebration that has absolutely no bearing on the love and loyalty for the magnificent Seagulls. When we score THAT really does count and is celebrated accordingly. :albion2:

No I mean people who will vocally encourage their "team" and celebrate because "their" team has scored, seen an Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea and Man U fan do this.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As mentioned before, I'm worried about a few seats around me, back of the East Upper right on the half way line. For the back end of 16/17 it was always different people in the seats, cameras out. Now I did notice that they had spent a LOT OF DOSH in the superstore on shirts (in carrier bags) and sparkly new scarfs and hats they were wearing. I presume these seats will be held spare for match by match sales thus enabling 'away' Brighton locals to watch the big clubs.
Question being, what would I do. Punch in the mouth to the Arsenal fan back in 1979 who had the audacity to stand in my spot on the East and cheer when goal 1 went in (my only ever football violence). Got a feeling if my Daughter is at home cause some **** is in the seat next to me supporting the away team my second bit of football violence may occur. Correction, it WILL occur.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I love to watch football, and if it's an exciting game I'm watching as a neutral, I could end up cheering for whoever, often both teams during the course of one match. But nothing would make me shout and jump up and down on the furniture as much as Steve Sidwell's "firework" goal did last November.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here