Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Your most powerful acting scene of all time ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Russian roulette scene in the Deer Hunter with the brilliant Christopher Walken. One of my favourite films of all time.

That film played on my mind for days after seeing it. Brilliant yet so depressing. Maybe you had to have been around during the Vietnam war. The early scene setting was a little slow, boring even but essential to the film.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I haven’t seen Million Dollar Baby, but can again imagine similar.

I have it and it was similar: I didn't like it at all - Eastwood, as you say, does have this tendency towards schmalz that sits at odds with some his other work.

Compare BOMC with Lean's Brief Encounter, which has a roughly similar theme (without the sex) and there's no comparison.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Saving private Ryan opening scene

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm struggling to work out which of these posts is the more bizarre...

Well, if you know you know....you know.
He has switched from Sheffield Utd to Everton to Liverpool and that’s only the ones I know of Notts.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The scene in the first episode from the moment he enters the pub to waking up in the morning is probably the best television i have ever watched.

That was the bit I was thinking of. You could read the battle in his mind with buying the alcohol, you could sense it was going to kick off, was just a matter of when.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When the pupil gives Albert Finney’s character the Browning version, in the film of the same name. He realises he is seen by someone as a person who deserves respect and not just the figure of fun and cuckolded dinosaur he has been seen as by the school for most of the film.
Yes, a bit cheesy but in the context of the film it’s just wonderfully moving.
It’s one of my favourite films.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mORqj01B5OQ

Well, if you know you know....you know.
He has switched from Sheffield Utd to Everton to Liverpool and that’s only the ones I know of Notts.
There was no mention of his interest in football on the Wiki page when I looked but I've just done another search and this obituary suggests he might also have followed Newcastle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/film/2019/feb/18/bruno-ganz-obituary

Credit must go to the makeup artists in that film as the likeness was stunning. Was he really as short as the the filming portrayed?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
More of a Britt Ekland in The Wicker Man guy myself

Or Susan George in just about anything come to think of it....

Oh god .... yes... Susan George.... oh god...

Who is Susan George I hear the kids cry....

Attachments

• D81276EF-883F-49BE-9800-A1BAFEE5345A.jpeg
    D81276EF-883F-49BE-9800-A1BAFEE5345A.jpeg
    48.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Tom Hanks every time in everything he does. Your first example is a great one, but Forrest Gump is hard to beat. He totally immerses himself in characters so you forget it's him. Even in less stated roles he carries it off. Fantastic in Catch Me If You Can, and also Saving Mr Banks. When I think of Walt Disney, as I do often(!), I only think of Tom Hanks portrayal of him. Superb. Particularly love the scene when he talks about his father, which I believe is quite close to home about his own father.

I get the opposite, its always Tom Hanks, and he is always that kid in Big, spoils otherwise decent movies for me having Hanks in the lead role.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here