Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your LEAST favourite band of the 80's

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
MODERN ROMANCE

Modern Romance were started as a joke by ex members of the brilliant but mostly obscure punk band The Leyton Buzzards. They figured they'd rather make a fortune from trashy salsa pop than remain permanently broke from being in a brillant but mostly obscure punk band.

Trouble is they forgot to inform anyone at the time that it was a joke, so instead of laughing we just all thought they were shit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not to mention Wild Swans, Felt, Comsat Angels, The Sound, The Chameleons and a host of great bands that never made it.

Mark Burgess' of The Chameleons 650 page autobiog is a great read. His fall out with the other band members is still entertaining, as John Lever (the drummer) has major rants on Facebook about their latest split on a regular basis.

Chameleons Vox (which is now just Burgess from the originals) are playing two nights in Manchester in December, Script of the Bridge night one, and What does Anything Mean? night two.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Modern Romance were started as a joke by ex members of the brilliant but mostly obscure punk band The Leyton Buzzards. They figured they'd rather make a fortune from trashy salsa pop than remain permanently broke from being in a brillant but mostly obscure punk band.

Trouble is they forgot to inform anyone at the time that it was a joke, so instead of laughing we just all thought they were shit.

Were they the band caused Sarah Green to blush on Swap Shop when some urchin phoned through to speak to them and said "Modern Romance are sh*t"? It could have been Johnny Hates Jazz or something of a similar ilk.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Were they the band caused Sarah Green to blush on Swap Shop when some urchin phoned through to speak to them and said "Modern Romance are sh*t"? It could have been Johnny Hates Jazz or something of a similar ilk.

You're thinking of Five Star.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Not to mention Wild Swans, Felt, Comsat Angels, The Sound, The Chameleons and a host of great bands that never made it.

Jeremy Kelly and Ged Quinn of the original Wild Swans did have a big 80s hit as The Lotus Eaters - The First Picture of You

And as I learned when I moved over here, The Sound never made it in the UK, but they were huge in the Netherlands. I made a tidy profit selling my old vinyl Sound albums, because they were all on the original UK labels and worth five times what their Dutch equivalents were.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You're thinking of Five Star.

It was Matt Bianco and the quote was "you're a bunch of :tosser: s"

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I do think Queen are quite overrated.

I concur, but to me they were a 70's band, taking such meaningless drivel as Bohemian rhapsody to number one in 1975/76.

Personally, I never "got" Spandau ballet. Even the name was stupid.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
HKFC has picked out most of the best ones from the UK, although there were some good ones from the USA alternative scene. Overall, it was the worst decade for music, as for many other things.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Got to be Duran Duran surely.

Closely followed by Kajagoogoo. Or any of the purple sta-press trouser brigade. Or Culture Club, Marilyn, Dead or Alive.

Or any of the "hair rock" bands.

It's a tough one to narrow down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here