2 Brighton & Hove Albion
46 25 11 10 83 40 +43 61
3 Crystal Palace
46 23 13 10 68 40 +28 59
4 Rotherham United
46 22 15 9 69 44 +25 59
5 Wrexham
46 24 10 12 80 54 +26 58

These bald figures hide a legend in the Palace pantheon.

Looking at the GD of Palace and Wrexham they are very similar. The last match of the of 1976/77 for Palace was away to Wrexham, who had a marginally better GD; I believe one more. To get ahead of them in the table Palace had to win by two clear goals at a ground where Wrexham were unbeaten all season. Palace with about five minutes to go were two up, then Wrexham scored two.

Palace then again scored two in injury time to win 4-2. Wrexham were shattered, but they still had one game to play at home - if they won, they went back ahead of Palace. They lost.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Arsenal
Everton
Manchester Utd
Aston Villa
Manchester City
Liverpool
Ipswich Town
Derby County
Fulham
Nottingham Forest
Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham
Chelsea
West Brom
Coventry City
Sunderland
Leeds Utd
Wolves

I can only think of 18 that I naturally put into the top division from my formative years.. I just dont see any others "naturally" fitting , maybe QPR but examples like Newcastle, Sheff Wed, Southampton for me are teams I associate with the second Division.. no rhyme or reason to my logic!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
These bald figures hide a legend in the Palace pantheon.

Looking at the GD of Palace and Wrexham they are very similar. The last match of the of 1976/77 for Palace was away to Wrexham, who had a marginally better GD; I believe one more. To get ahead of them in the table Palace had to win by two clear goals at a ground where Wrexham were unbeaten all season. Palace with about five minutes to go were two up, then Wrexham scored two.

Palace then again scored two in injury time to win 4-2. Wrexham were shattered, but they still had one game to play at home - if they won, they went back ahead of Palace. They lost.

and it just happened to be Mansfield who beat Wrexham on the last day of the season,meaning we could no longer win the league,as it turned out we drew at Chesterfield anyway

The Wrexham Goal Machine

Graham Whittle 33 goals
Billy Ashcroft 27 goals
Bobby Shinton 29 goals

in league & cup and they still didn't go up!! of course Wardy got more than any of those 3 :wink:

I don't know what the gate was for Wrexham's last home game against Mansfield but

April 30 Brighton 20,005
May 11 Palace 18,451

Wrexham were the only team to win at the Goldstone 2-0

Brighton at home Pld 23 W19 D3 L1 F63 A14

my all time favourite season,my first promotion season too,never forget that night match against Sheff Wed

Last edited:

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
of course Wardy got more than any of those 3 :wink:
My all-time favourite Albion player. :) We still sing about him now and then at Selhurst. :D

I don't know what the gate was for Wrexham's last game against Mansfield but

April 30 Brighton 20,005
May 11 Palace 18,451

Wrexham were the only team to win at the Goldstone 2-0

Brighton at home Pld 23 W19 D3 L1 F63 A14

my all time favourite season,my first promotion season too,never forget that night match against Sheff Wed

Happy days indeed. :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wolves
West Brom
Man Utd
Man City
Newcastle
Sunderland
Arsenal
Spurs
West Ham
Aston Villa
Everton
Bolton
Burnley
Forest
Pompey
Leicester
Leeds
Luton
Sheffield Weds
Birmingham
Chelsea
Preston North End

....and I'd have to add Liverpool as no. 23, even though they didn't get promoted for a few years after I started following the football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here