[Albion] Your first away game watching The Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My memory of my first games isn't clear, but I'm pretty sure this was my first away game. Palace away Oct 1978. Lost 3-1

Put it this way, I was definitely at this game as a 10 year old. I remember the crushing disappointment when Hillaire scored.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Aldershot, FA Cup, 1967. A fabulous 0-0 draw!
Did they have straw bales of hay around the outside back then ?
I went to an Aldershot game in the late 70s not against Brighton, when I lived there with my dad, I am sure they had straw bales around part of the perimeter

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bournemouth away 95 or 96. Live cameras were there and there was lots of protests and a pitch invasion.
This was it, an old school team mate from wigan who said he would never play for someone shite like Brighton when we were at school, was playing for Bournemouth that day, I gave him some stick....
Russell Beadesmore.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Playoff final (if that counts).

If that doesn't count, then Forest away early the following season. We won 1-0.

Looking back, we won 13 games that season. first 7 were 1-0, then 4x 2-1 wins, then a couple of trusty old 1-0s! The good old days....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Did they have straw bales of hay around the outside back then ?
I went to an Aldershot game in the late 70s not against Brighton, when I lived there with my dad, I am sure they had straw bales around part of the perimeter
Can't remember that - not to say they were or were there, just don't remember that detail. What I do remember is that as we slowly moved towards the exit at the end, I was able to take both feet off the ground at the same time and still keep moving forward! I think it was pretty much a capacity crowd.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
wow - I honestly can't remember that far back... 😨

Maybe the promotion season - either Orient or Charlton - 3-0 and 3-3 I think - 77?

I do remember Ralph Coates hair!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Ronnie

Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
Brighton v Fulham 1958 on Boxing Day and record crowd for the Goldstone
Only 7 years old and taken by my much older brother in law who lived very near the ground

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
This was it, an old school team mate from wigan who said he would never play for someone shite like Brighton when we were at school, was playing for Bournemouth that day, I gave him some stick....
Russell Beadesmore.

Funny how your memory recalls events. As a 14 year old I remember feeling lot more charged and violent than it appears on the video, were there police dogs on the pitch and did some of our fans run to the home stands. That's my memory of the day but it was 25 years ago!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Funny how your memory recalls events. As a 14 year old I remember feeling lot more charged and violent than it appears on the video, were there police dogs on the pitch and did some of our fans run to the home stands. That's my memory of the day but it was 25 years ago!
Yes, some of our fans ran across to their fans, a few punches were exchanged, mainly their fans moved away as some of ours ran towards them. There was a lady being consoled by probably her husband that the cameras zoomed in on, but largely it was handbags. One Albion fan was led away in cuffs to loud cheers from the Albion fans behind the goal and then the dogs came on, it was all over in about 10 minutes.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Orient v Brighton.

March 2000. Would have been for my 6th birthday. Zamora scored and got a back-heel assist for Paul Brooker.

Think we took a few thousands up there, going from the South Stand at Withdean to a rammed terrace was certainly an eye-opener!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Orient v Brighton.

March 2000. Would have been for my 6th birthday. Zamora scored and got a back-heel assist for Paul Brooker.

Think we took a few thousands up there, going from the South Stand at Withdean to a rammed terrace was certainly an eye-opener!
we filled that entire stand that day, great day out.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If we're discounting the semi-final and final(s) in 1983, then my first 'proper' away game was at Fratton Park in March the next season. We were 1-0 up at half-time, then conceded five goals in 13 minutes. And I seem to remember it rained as well.

It was eight more away trips before I first saw a win (4-1 at the Recreation Ground in 1987)

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
@PILTDOWN MAN will confirm but I think it was Palace c1977.
A bit of an eye-opener this one for you. Lots of trouble around the ground. Mine was portsmouth away 1973, this also with lots of trouble around the station, to the ground and back again. I think we lost 2-0.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Let me clear the first away game memory up, it is as it says on the tin, first away game supporting the albion, it could be a friendly in Ireland, it does not matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports