Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Finest Sporting Moment

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
after my mate and I had been told we were not being signed for or local football team, we moved to another and would'nt you know it we drew them in the semi-final of the cup.
I always played at left back even though I was /am right footed my mate scored a goal to equalise and I scored the winner with a free kick.
we went out in the final 0-4

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Getting picked for Sussex U13s within the first couple of balls I bowled at the trials. Sadly I wasn't into cricket at all and gave up pretty quickly.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Year2000 Junior cup final at Lancing. Not that great but I went on a mazy run to set our cf up for a tap in. 2-1 victory and still a fantastic memory all these years later.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Finishing an honourable 8th of...8 in the 800 metres on School Sports Day at Withdean Stadium. Received lots of 'ironic' cheers from piss-taking mates/acquaintances at finishing and then to add to the embarrassment, I then suffered the ignominy of having the teacher who was reading out the results over the PA system announcing my placing by giving me an entirely different surname.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Standing on the side of the pitch waiting for the rest of the boys to show up for training. My mate turned to me and said 'if you hit the crossbar from here I'll buy you a pizza tonight' as a bit of a joke as it was an outrageous shot to make it. I only went and hit! True to his word he bought me a pizza hut pizza later that night.

Been in a lot of successful teams, but now I think of it never really had big individual success. Maybe I really do just make up the numbers...

Getting Ken McEwan out LBW in a Worthing Evening League game in the early 70's.

Batting would be either hitting six on to the heavy roller at Marlow CC and it then bouncing on and breaking a pavillion window.
OR
Playing at Shamley Green nr Cranleigh where a road passes through the outfield. Despite signs requesting motorists to wait for the end of the over a rover was driven through and its offside wing prevented my slightly lofted on-drive through mid-wicket going for four.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Played cricket for Sussex at almost every age level til I was 19. Tore my cartlidge in my knee. Career over

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I came 10th in some kind of Sussex chess competition when I was 8, but my finest moment was the first and only victory of my tragic, ill-fated football team Ruckford Rovers in the Mid Sussex Mini Minors league in 1982. We beat St Francis 3-2. We once squandered a 4-2 lead against Hassocks. We lost 13-0 to both Wickham and Balcombe. The team was regularly sabotaged my our music teacher who threatened anybody who played who was also in the choir with expulsion from the choir. It would make a satisfactory quirky but slightly average English film.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
University football.

Division 1 Season 02/03 RHUL FC 4th team - Season unbeaten, won league and BUSA Cup double winning the final at Fulham FC's training ground in Motspur Park in front of what seemed like thousands but more likely approx. 500 people.

Denied promotion to the Premier League as at the time only one side per University allowed in the top division. Best team, best individuals, and most worthy victors of ULU team of the year.

Personal achievements in this season included doing a Beckham and scoring the crucial deciding goal in the 3-2 Cup Semi Final match.

GOD how i'd love to be payed to play.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Played basketball and football for Sussex, and also football for the South East Counties League representative side.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Football: Scored an overhead kick against a rep side as a weedy ten year old left back who was never allowed up for corners. Finally got my chance, the ball looped over my head in the slot and as I launched myself into the air, a teammate shouted "Don't!". Pinged it in the top corner and ran around like a loon.

Cricket: Whilst at uni I was on my way back from Pompey to Worthing for a Saturday game. I'd gone out on the Friday and was HANGING, massively overslept, missed my train, got the next one but then fell asleep again and woke up in Brighton. Bunked the train back to Worthing and got a taxi to the ground, and the game was already twelve or so overs in, we were fielding and the oppo were about 60 without loss, and I was supposed to have opened the bowling. I went into the pavilion, changed, vommed a lot, ran outside into the sunshine, got brought on first change and my spell was 4 overs, 5 for 12, then told the captain I'd had enough. I somehow made it through the rest of the innings without being sick again, and insisted on being no11 for our innings as I was about to die. We crumbled (only chasing 180-odd) to 120ish for 9 and I went out and smashed 41* to see us home. Walked off, took my helmet off, vommed again.

Golf: My first and only eagle, with a huge drive and a hybrid into about ten feet. Felt like I'd won the masters, never hit three shots more perfectly in all my life.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
managing to make a comeback and play a whole season this year, after having two serious knee injuries and a pair of lungs which have seen more smoke than a 1970s pub carpet.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
81 off the stick at Wembley Old Course (Perth) 26 September 1999 - **** I was playing with sulked off after 9 holes so I played the back 9 solo so no one was there to tell me how well I played - sucked balls that did......

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Finest:
Playing rugby against the staff at the top pitch above Fawcett. Twice in succession I absolutely flattened the PE teacher (not Triggear, much more burly) shortly after which he pulled me to one side and whispered in my ear that should I attempt to do it again he would "****ing break my legs."

2nd:
Playing for B52s at Withdean against City College in front of over 10,000 people even though we got tonked.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Playing for the Albion youth side 1984 away V Spurs and coming on as a sub and scoring twice to win 2-1
Or scoring for Brighton Boys v Aldershot at the goldstone (in the south goal) 83

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here