Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Your favourite Western films and tv series

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Film: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

TV series: I only really remember Champion the Wonder Horse, which I liked aged 6.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I love many of the films and series already mentioned, one that is often overlooked is 'The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.' Bruce Campbell is always entertaining.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
CA565F4D-CEB1-456B-AD72-06C9FC486C75.jpeg

Soldier Blue - not so much a favourite, but certainly a film that made a big impression on me

This was shown at the Academy when I was working there in the evenings, whilst still at school. Had some quite shocking scenes.

Last edited:

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
There’s plenty of modern Westerns worth mentioning;

True Grit
3:10 To Yuma
Hostiles
Open Range
Deadwood series and the recent follow up feature
Godless (very underrated Netflix series)
The Assassination of Jess James by the Coward Robert Ford
American Outlaws
Bone Tomahawk

Not sure these would be ‘modern’ any more but Tombstone, City Slickers, Last of the Mohicans and Dances with Wolves are all brilliant. In fact Tombstone is up there with the best films ever made in my book.

Godless is fantastic. Opening scene pretty haunting. I liked Hell On Wheels off Prime, some of it a bit naff but its easy fun, good when coming off night-shifts.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
You Sir, have very similar taste to me!

I'm also very fond of the Shootist, Wayne's final film and it is elegiac as you say. It is a film about time moving on and the finality of Wayne's professional life (as a Gunman in the story but as an Actor in real life). The kick in the Story is that J.B.Books (Wayne's character) is dying of cancer and so was Wayne at the time. Can recommend it even if you don't like Westerns. He got an Oscar in 1969 for True Grit but this is a far better performance. Allegedly Don Siegel, the Director of The Shootist was quoted as saying "The Son of a Bitch has finally learned to Act!"

Best TV Western Show is probably Deadwood?
Yes it seems a lot of us here have simalar choices which is excellent.ive never heard that quote before from the director,it makes me wonder just how much was acting and how much was John Wayne just being himself at times ,maybe a bit of both.whatever it was i agree it's his best performance and a great film.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I get it was quite entertaining, but come on aliens travelling light years to get here with superior weapons beaten by gun toting cowboys. That's just silly.

It's a fantastic film this is.its sci-fi really but I also added in my selections for this thread because it actually captures the feeling of the wild west better than any of the modern movies.the town,Harrison fords character,the gang,the Indians.everything is spot on.the alien side of things also strikes a chord with me as I have an interest in alien visitations throughout human history and the plot is not as far fetched as you may think.....

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Anyone who enjoyed the butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid movie may be interested in the PBS America documentary about their true story.i saw it a few months ago it's fascinating,well worth a watch������

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Searchers is one of my favourites - it's a superb film. I have a lot of time for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Two that haven't been mentioned: A Bad Day at Black Rock - a great anti-racist western and the excellent Destry Rides Again, a Western comedy and a very good one too.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Seems to be a lot of love for the classic spaghetti westerns so seems rude not to include this. And respect to the much missed Rik

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
One of the wierdest westerns I've ever seen is "El Topo" which is a surreal cross between Sergio Leone and Luis Bunuel.

It was one of John Lennon's favourites and he persuaded the Beatles manager Allen Klein to buy the film rights which turned out not to be a good move for the film's director when he and Klein fell out and Klein refused to show it anywhere which forced the director to introduce pirated copies of his own work....

https://youtu.be/widMYyUbvfE

Last edited:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
True Grit

Little House On The Prairie

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here