Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite soul singers.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Great thread and got me thinking about people who have slipped off the radar,saw Junior Walker back in the seventies at the Dome and thought he was brilliant so checked him out on YouTube and he was as good as I remember.Live at the Ram Jam club from 1969 is Junior at his energetic best.
I saw Junior Walker a few times, the final time was at the Dome in 1990 as part of a Motown Revue. Edwin Starr was first up and was very good, Jimmy Ruffin followed and he was awful, he even stopped halfway through a song as he had forgotten the words. Junior Walker closed the show and he was fantastic, just blew the place apart.
I defy anyone to listen to Roadrunner or Shotgun without wanting to get up and dance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ooh, I hadn't seen that was on.

Saw her in Brighton about five years ago, she was absolutely fantastic live
Not really my thing but she's been singing away for the last hour or so, and not only is she quite fantastic but worryingly still so precedent.

2 titans are currently striding across my speakers:-

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Highly under-rated and hardly mentioned in this thread - David Ruffin, whether leading the Temps or his solo songs. Followed by Levi Stubbs with a similar style. Strange when you compare their histories - neither became the named singer "and the group" (such as Smokey and the Miracles and Diana and the Supremes). Levi was happy with it but David was not - and so we lost another one too young.
Also a shout for Jimmy James who was my introduction to live soul in the late 60's. Along with Geno, they were more renowned for live performances than record sales.
Great thread!

Whosh51

Aug 27, 2014
Number one soul legend Otis Reeding : can't turn you loose..
2. James Brown : Honky Tonk.
3 Wilson Pickett : Land of a thousand dances.
4. Sam & Dave : Soul sisters with brown sugar.
5. Isaac Hayes : Ain't no sunshine.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
More by specific songs than the artist:

Aretha Franklin - I Say a Little Prayer
Roberta Flack - Killing me Softly
Otis Redding - Dock of the Bay

I could go on, but I love these three.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Otis Redding. Not just the best soul singer but the greatest singer ever to be recorded(IMO obviously!...although I'm pretty sure it can be verified as fact).

I'm also going to chuck in a bit of Millie Jackson as I don't think she's been mentioned yet and deserves to be.

Re Otis - head nail the on.

Whosh51

Aug 27, 2014
Must Listen album, Otis Reeding. Otis Blue on Stax label with the blonde on the front of cover, because it would not sell to folks in the 60's with Otis on the cover.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Finally got around to seeing Earth, Wind and Fire this year after a 40 year wait.....was well worth it

Yes i saw them about 13 years ago, was gutted that there was only 4 of the originals, my biggest musical regret is not seeing them around the late seventies/early eighties.
About 14 of them all on stage would have been awesome, the 3 White's included.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here