Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite soul singers.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
No apologies for posting another Otis classic, a Sam Cooke cover.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Jackie Wilson, Marvin Gaye and Levi Stubbs. All three covered the A-Z emotions and back again.

Unbeatable.

Add Sam Cooke to those three and the list is complete

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
[yt]awwCJK9WoGs[/yt]
Pure Brilliance.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Went to see Aretha Franklin at Ceasers Palace Vegas a couple of years ago and she was awful such a shame and she should have rested on her laurels and retired some years ago.

Funny you should say that. I saw Martha Reeves a few years back at the Concorde and her voice wasn't a patch on the glory days. Admittedly, the venue isn't the best for soul singers and we all thought she would probably sound much better at a Vegas type show. I also saw Candi Staton at the Old Market in Hove around the same time and she was as great as ever.

Chris Farlowe is a great one to catch live - he still tours very frequently and is often in Worthing. His voice is quite something still. Compare and contrast to the likes of Roger Daltrey, another one who has lost it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Soul music has been my life for most of it.
Absolutely impossible to name a favourite singer or song.
Really enjoying the thread and when I am on the laptop and not the mobile I will post some of my favourites which may take some time.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Then, of course, there is the best single Motown turfed out...

[yt]Zrsd7O_Ffmk[/yt]

This is one of my favourite singalongs at home with my youngest. William Bell and Judy Clay - Private Number

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeuVS6vnN7w

Excellent call, I love the guitar on this - Steve Cropper I suspect.

How about this - saw him after he had gone solo but by all accounts this lot were the biz as a live act, and to return to the point of the thread, he has a great soul voice

Love the guitar on this as well - wonder who it was?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Excellent call, I love the guitar on this - Steve Cropper I suspect.

How about this - saw him after he had gone solo but by all accounts this lot were the biz as a live act, and to return to the point of the thread, he has a great soul voice

Love the guitar on this as well - wonder who it was?

Didn't Booker T write Private Number? If so, then it's a very good shout re. Steve Cropper.

Not heard that Paul Young track before. Thanks for the heads up. I must confess that one of my guilty pleasures is Paul Young and the Streetband's song 'Toast'. I know it's a novelty tune but it's still a very funky number. That whole new wave British funk (dunno if that's the right phrase and it certainly doesn't do it justice) sound that the likes of Pigbag, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, the Streetband and the one-hit wonder Lene Lovich had blows me away. I wish I knew more about these and other bands.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've got to post this one as no-one has mentioned Barry White yet. This particular track isn't him singing, it's the first record he ever produced - Gene Page 'All Our Dreams Are Coming True'. An instrumental with one of my favourite tempo changes ever. The song ambles beautifully for a minute then it starts to build it up and then just hear what Barry White does with the tune at 1 min 10 secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITlgWJc7OSQ

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

One of those tunes in the old days that you didnt care what girl you danced with.

and have loved this since i first heard it.

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Donny Hathaway, Sam Cooke, Nat King Cole, Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder, Michael McDonald, Paul Carrack, Levi Stubbs, Marvin Gaye, James Ingram,
Dusty Springfield, Gladys "Empress" Knight, Aretha "Queen" Franklin,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here