Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Favourite film of the year - so far.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I think this may change when Gravity comes out.

The critics are raving about Gravity so I'll have to make sure I see that.

Can't wait for Gravity. Apparently it is well worth seeing in 3D and you can't say that for many films.

Gravity came out in the States last week. It lives up to all the hype and critical acclaim, it just blows you away. You have to see it in 3D - even Imax if you get the chance. IMHO Sandra Bullock came out top in the acting stakes - she stole the movie.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Last time I listen to your advice after that comment.

Oh and Blue Jasmine - as a sustained piece of acting I doubt whether Blanchett will be topped for some time. The sheer physicality of her performance is breathtaking.

Only my opinion as I thought Elysium was very good. Agreed Blanchett was top drawer in Blue Jasmine. An Oscar nomination is guaranteed.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I've seen a few good ones this year and am looking forward to Captain Phillips. But the best, by some margin, was Rush. Even Mrs T, who has no interest whatsoever in motor racing, said immediately afterwards that it was 'brilliant'.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Last time I listen to your advice after that comment.

Oh and Blue Jasmine - as a sustained piece of acting I doubt whether Blanchett will be topped for some time. The sheer physicality of her performance is breathtaking.

Watched this last sunday....she certainly played her part well...as i thought her on screen 'sister' did

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
I've thoroughly enjoyed two films recently - The Way Way Back and Rush - very different but both excellent. if I had to choose I'd probably say Rush edges it. I want to see Captain Phillips and it sounds like it will top them both.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Prisoners is the best film I've seen this year. A great thriller. Can't wait to see Gravity and Captain Philips. Rush was good too and I enjoyed Blue Jasmine. The two White House films were both good, dumb action films and really enjoyed The place beyond the pines.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Rush, it's a stunning film. The attention to detail is amazing, Ron Howard has done a fantasic job of researching the whole history of Lauda and Hunt, Lauda himself was said to be very impressed by the film and Bruhls performance as him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I get films several weeks ahead of the UK here, and my favourite film of the year so far, by a mile, is Gravity.

Heck its my favourite film of the past 10 years. I wish I'd seen it in 3D, and I hate 3D. Bullock is great, Clooney is great, and its made so so so well. The use of silence is amazing. Just a beautiful, wonderful film.

But Uncle S, Elysium better than District 9? You must have hated District 9 for that statement to be true. Elysium has so much promise and then just completely fails to deliver. There's a great sequence in the middle that makes you think its finally going to do something with the great idea, great special effects, and the pretty good Damon performance - and then it ruins it all by taking the most uninteresting theme and running with that.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'Wreck-It Ralph' is the only film I've seen this year that was released this year, I think. It was good though. The only other major releases I've been interested in were the Star Trek film and 'Alpha Papa', which I'll probably watch on demand at some point.

edit: Oh, and I forgot 'Rush' which also looks interesting.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Django Unchained. One of those films which stands up to multiple viewings.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Just seen Gravity in 3D - Yes it's exceptionally well made. The cinematography/CGI is pretty stunning with the 3D really complementing the effect rather than gimicifying it.

Bullock was very good too and I'm not a fan. Granted the outcome is somewhat incredulous but that's the genre for you. This film genuinely grips your attention throughout.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Gravity being assessed by astrophycisists is madness in itself. A film showing Bullock propelling herself around space in one part with a fire extinguisher is not making itself to be one of endless realism. The background of the earth in all its glory is constantly stunning though. Amazing to look at and one certainly to see in 3D.
I still love Like Father Like Son though. By jimminy it's measuredly and lightly and composedly and darkly warmly sad. So moving.
Rush was certainly good too.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seen a lot recently. Captain Phillips knocks everything I have seen into a cocked hat. Hanks is amazing and the last scene with post traumatic stress is one of the greatest scenes of acting I have ever seen. Hanks knocks this one out of the Park. Abdi is also superb. It is a brilliant film and I would give it 8.7. Only Elysium comes anywhere near this one as I loved that as well 8.1.

I think this may change when Gravity comes out.

What I loved about the PTS was that it was there at all. Usually hollywood makes their american heroes so strong that they would walk away from such an event, maybe pass Muse and make some pithy comment and then carry on as if he's just ha a stroll in the park rather than been through such an ordeal. The fragility and weakness just reinforced everything that came before by showing how big an impact it had, rather than undermine it with a blase masculinity.

As for my favourite of the year, Captain Phillips would probably take it for drama, but overall, Les Miserables. Cloud Atlas got a strong rating from me, as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here