Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Your favourite courtroom based film.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Breaker Morant.
A True story, and a brilliant film staring Edward Woodward. The youngest of the three Aussies convicted was spared the death penalty due to his age. He served his prison sentence at Lewes Prison from where he returned to Australia.
So disgusted was he (and rightly so) with Britain at having been thrown under the bus that when the 2nd world war came along he famously said 'Australians will fight for the mother country right down to the last man and I am that last man'.

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers
A True story, and a brilliant film staring Edward Woodward. The youngest of the three Aussies convicted was spared the death penalty due to his age. He served his prison sentence at Lewes Prison from where he returned to Australia.
So disgusted was he (and rightly so) with Britain at having been thrown under the bus that when the 2nd world war came along he famously said 'Australians will fight for the mother country right down to the last man and I am that last man'.
George Ramsdale Witton. I believe Churchill was involved in petitioning for his release after serving 3 years of a life sentence. He wrote a book - 'Scapegoats of the Empire'.

Of the film, Edward Woodward was (imo) a much underrated actor. Like the Wicker Man, the ending of Breaker Morant is incredibly poignant. Woodward reciting Morant's poem 'Butchered to make a Dutchman's Holiday' makes the finale incredibly powerful.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not a film but Jury Duty on Freevue is very good. Prank/mockumentary about a trial where everyone is an actor and in on the joke( including James Marsden) other than one bloke who thinks it's a real trial

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

This is shown extensively by Law professors in schools in America, as a perfect example of cross-examining a witness. Despite being a comedy, it is considered one of the most accurate representations of court proceedings in cinema.

How Joe Pesci didn’t win the Oscar for this performance is beyond me. Marisa Tomei deservedly won in her category, and was one of the most beautiful women in the world to boot.

Any yoots who haven’t seen this movie, do it now - it’s absolutely masterful.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Would also mention Breaker Morant (as other have) - very moving.

Cant remember exactly how many court room scenes there are but definitely in the genre is Dark Waters - true story of water pollution in the States.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's a shame The Social Network is mediation as it could be 3 for 3 from Sorkin - a writer built for courtroom drama.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not a film but Jury Duty on Freevue is very good. Prank/mockumentary about a trial where everyone is an actor and in on the joke( including James Marsden) other than one bloke who thinks it's a real trial
Just watched this. BRILLIANT.

Found it on Amazon Prime.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've watched the first episode. James Marsden is seriously underrated as an actor.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I bloody love A Few Good Men, so many great quotable lines. I have a hard on for anything Sorkin does so really need to get round to watching The Trail of the Chicago 7 one of these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here