Your early impression of the new signings

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Dickinson. Promising. Nice and direct with ball at his feet. A couple of thumping shots. Did ok in the air as well. I liked the cut of his jib.
Crofts. Did not look like he knew what he was meant to be doing. Looks as though he needs a few games
Thornhill. Like the curate's egg. Looked a bit out of his depth. Perhaps better in a two man midfield. Unlucky to be subbed - could have been Crofts.
Mark Wright. Promising. Better with the ball at his feet. Worked hard chasing back (take a note Dean Cox). A few decent balls into the box Hopefully better at corners than we saw Saturday.
Jake Wright. Stepping up from the Conference he looked promising. Must have been nervous - but worth giving time. Did not get a great deal of help from Cox to be fair to him.
Navarro. Looked fine. Clearly not fit - but wanted the ball continually, looked busy, made a few tackles, looked to be able to create time for himself.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
What the f***? Judging the players on one game? You are a sad man.

Unfortunately, its not just one game.

Some of them have looked total gash in several pre-season games.

OK, they are friendlies, but we couldn't create, we didn't score and we conceded against some shit sides.

Some worrying times ahead until they (hopefully) settle in methinks!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think Navarro looked like he could be the enforcer we have needed for so long. Very promising - but Dicker is a better footballer. When the formation settles down I think we'll have a good side this year.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
was I the only one who hadnt the faintest idea who was who on our side on saturday?

Where we were in theSouth, you couldnt hear the PA, so half of us missed the Bobby Robson clapathon and couldnt hear anyone giving out the teams.

have they turned down the PA to save money?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
One thing which we need to work on is our set pieces which were woeful. No movement from throw-ins and our corners, aside from one by Cox, were slow and easy to deal with. Many didn't even clear first defender.

Getting back to the players, it's perfectly obvious and completely understandable that after just ONE game Slade doesn't know his best starting 11 yet. He will but until then, let's cut him and the players a bit of slack.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
was I the only one who hadnt the faintest idea who was who on our side on saturday?

Where we were in the South, you couldnt hear the PA, so half of us missed the Bobby Robson clapathon and couldnt hear anyone giving out the teams.

You'll be pleased to know that I didn't have much of a clue about the identity of half our team either. D'ya think it might be down to our age hon? :(

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think you are right.

I only recognised Cox and the defence I hadnt a clue who any of the otrhers were...in fact I thought the little bloke in midfield was dicker and couldnt work out why he was so short

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I think you are right.

I only recognised Cox and the defence I hadnt a clue who any of the otrhers were...in fact I thought the little bloke in midfield was dicker and couldnt work out why he was so short

Well somebody near me said that Dicker wasn't playing (before KO), but I'd have preferred to have thought that he was tbh. It just goes to show how a little knowledge is such a dangerous thing. :glare:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Getting back to the players, it's perfectly obvious and completely understandable that after just ONE game Slade doesn't know his best starting 11 yet. He will but until then, let's cut him and the players a bit of slack.

I agree, I mean it took slade at least 3 or 4 games last season before he decided on his best 11 for the "run" which kept us up.

I expect two or three variations from now till the end of august before the side picks itself. Not wholesale changes but changes nontheless. Im pretty sure the 11 that started sat will not be the 11 that start swansea.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree, I mean it took slade at least 3 or 4 games last season before he decided on his best 11 for the "run" which kept us up.

I expect two or three variations from now till the end of august before the side picks itself.

so long as he quickly goes off the idea of lumping the ball up as high as possible from defence as we all know how that ended up for 4/4 of the season last year.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Crofts had his best game for us today. Good on the ball and kept going right to the end. Proved I think that he can be a good player for us.

Tunnicliffe was decent in patches but not good enough in the air for a big man, although he is young and will learn to use his considerable frame as he gains experience. Promising.

Bennett was also good in patches and I'm sure when he settles will be a good signing. A couple of excellent crosses.

Navarro as he gets fitter is improving, although I'm not sure him and Crofts will work as our first choice partnership. I would go for Crofts and Dicker.

Smith made some excellent saves today and deserves to keep the shirt on Friday.

Dickinson, after a slow start, has improved dramatically. 2 excellent goals and a willingness to shoot on sight which I like. Great signing.

Overall I think the new signings have done well. Unfortunately though I don't think Slade has used them correctly, just like Adams this time last year (although not quite as bad obviously!).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Shows how opinions differ I thought that Navarro had a very goo dfirst half but faded in the second. Croft was ok for most of the game. Bennett didnt see this blistering pace or ability to beat a man that RS spoke of. Tunnicliffe has a good throw but when all are fit is not as good either in the air or on the ground as Elphick or Virgo at the moment.
I felt that with Smith we have a competant but unspectacular keeper who will get better.

Dickenson is getting better, although I am still disappointed with his aerial contribution. Missed a sitter when he receiveda cross from Bennett but a poor directional header went past the post when he was completely free to take his time and place his header.
Good ball control but falls over a bit easily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports