Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your best holiday as a child verses a 21st century holiday for your children?

D

Deleted member 18477

Orlando is great but My favourite holiday as a kid was in a villa in italy (tuscany) with family and extended family... had our own pool etc. Was great fun!

Looking back on it... it was who i went with rather than where. Although tuscany is a lovely place.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I don't want to sound a moaning old git Mum and worked hard to give me and my 3 siblings and holiday every year always Isle of Wight .I still go every year now and if i had Kids i'd take them always lots to do. As for now Crete was a lovely place lots of family friendly places.Oops missed Dad Off .

Best holidays of my childhood were spent in a self-catering cottage at Southerndown, in South Wales. Fabulous beach and great rock pools.

800px-Southerndown_beach.jpg

Dr Who might remember it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/arts/sites/doctor-who-wales/alllocations/southerndown-beach

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Best holiday as a kid was Eurocamping in France in 1984 at a site in Dol de Bretagne. Went back a couple of years back wih my brood and had an awesome time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm surprised by the replies.

I genuinely thought they would unanimously say 'man up you selfish goon and give the kids what they want'.

Food for thought.
Chewing gum for the eyes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you go to Florida WDW is very good however the other parks - Universal, Sea World, Aquatica, Busch Gardens and Islands of Adventure are far better in my view.

We only went to Florida with the kids once Mini was tall enough to do all the rides.

For WDW when smaller go to Paris in my view, we did it once in Florida and nothing spectacular although I would say the two Disney water parks were far cleaner and superior to the other ones but we did not bother with Magic Kingdom.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I had many happy memories of Italy in my childhood...I think we covered almost all of the country one year when we stayed with a family. I wish I was older so I could have appreciated it more!

Now my favourite holiday destination, like @bozza is Florida and I've been there 6 times. In fact if I was able to I would buy a villa there...no question.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When i was a kid, it was the Isle of wight and when my kids were young we went there regularly for weekends. When they got to about 9/11 we told them we would take them to Disneyworld. They asked if they could go to the Isle of Wight instead and that's what we did. They're now 17/19 and i guess we won't ever go to Disney.

If you really want to blow some money, take them skiing. We took ours at 4/6 years old and have been at least once (sometimes 2/3 times) every year since. Seriously addictive and the favourite family holiday.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
My kids are 9, 6 and 5. I took them away last year for the first time and we went to the Isle of Wight and stayed in caravan. We did plenty of stuff while we were there including Black Gang Chine, Robin Hill and the Needles. They had a great time and wanted to go back this year. However this year took them to Butlins and again they loved it.

For me holidays are more about the people you are with then where you go. If you can afford it then I am sure they will love 2-3 weeks in Disney World since it is geared to making sure you have a good time. However for those like me on a tighter budget a week away anywhere can be fun.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
When i was a kid, it was the Isle of wight and when my kids were young we went there regularly for weekends. When they got to about 9/11 we told them we would take them to Disneyworld. They asked if they could go to the Isle of Wight instead and that's what we did. They're now 17/19 and i guess we won't ever go to Disney.

If you really want to blow some money, take them skiing. We took ours at 4/6 years old and have been at least once (sometimes 2/3 times) every year since. Seriously addictive and the favourite family holiday.

this, this and this...

You cannot have more fun with the family than skiing, I have and still go camping with the kids, they love it, done Orlando and EuroDisney and we all loved it and it was great fun but you won't beat skiing, well, snowboarding actually! :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
this, this and this...

You cannot have more fun with the family than skiing, I have and still go camping with the kids, they love it, done Orlando and EuroDisney and we all loved it and it was great fun but you won't beat skiing, well, snowboarding actually! :thumbsup:

Boarding !! BOARDING !!!! :censored::censored:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Our best holidays are going to the beach for a few days - our eldest son (who is autistic) can sit and watch the sea and look for fish, whilst the youngest (not autistic) can let his imagination go wild! Both enjoy it at the moment - what will happen in 5 years when the youngest is 14 is anyone's guess!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hayle Towans in Cornwall is probably my favourite childhood holiday. Mum and Dad had divorced a couple of years earlier and mum in particular had no money. But I enjoyed the overnight drive, the small treats we were allowed and the sunny weather. I never really went on expensive holidays until I was 16 when I went on a plane for the first time to Gibraltar and whilst I remember thinking it would be nice if either my mum or dad did actually take us on a plane to the med, it wasn't a massive issue.

As for my kids, well we've taken them to France several times (including Euro Disney twice) and 4 or 5 times to the usual Med resorts. Last year we went to the Isle of Wight, got lucky with the weather and had a great time. This year, no holiday features as I lost my job in February which around the time we'd have booked it.

We plan on taking them to Florida in around 4 years time, finances permitting. My kids are 11, 9 and 2, so there is only a small window when ALL three of them will get properly excited by such a trip.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
The "holiday" I have best memories of as a kid, was when we hired a minibus, and went for various day trips around Sussex with the extended family (us, aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents); one day was a trip to Arundel, one was a picnic in Ashdown Forest (that was memorable, as we had the radio on listening to us bowling Australia cheaply in 1981, can't recall it it was Headingley or Edgbaston).

Of course, if I suggested that to the kids as a holiday now...

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
The thought of walking round theme parks for 2 or 3 weeks in unbearable heat and crowds fills me with absolute terror. It was bad enough at Hampton court flower show 2 weeks ago !!!!

Went to Miami 13 years ago, really enjoyed that and drove up to Orlando for 2 days,,,,one at WDW and one at seaworld. That was quite enough for me.

Personally, i'd rather take the kids all inclusive, 5 star week in Greece in May and then another 5 star, all inclusive week somewhere else in September (Canary isles, Malta, etc)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Went Skiing to Passo Tonale (italy) when about 15 or 16 and it was just the best week of my life.

Ironically the alarm to get up at 6am for a skiing lesson wasn't too horrendous and, once that was out of the way I had the rest of the day to just keep falling over, then go eat, then fall over a bit more, have a beer, go fall over some more and then enjoy the 'happy hour' which would last around 3 hours and involve trying to talk drunkenly to drunk italians about football.

I must go again.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I used to go to my gran's caravan in Wales in the 1970s which I really loved - went for the last time when I was 10 I think, even when it rained it was good fun.

My kids either go to visit their gran in West Country or have been to a couple of campsites in this country and loved them all. Yet to go abroad with them as we all need passports and getting them would suck up any available money for a holiday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here