Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your AMEX XI + Bench

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Bit of fun to get us through this week as we crawl towards the new season. Not sure if it has been done before, but lets give it a shot.

Please put together a starting 11, 7 man subs bench and manager that define the AMEX era for you. This doesn't necessarily mean the best players, or the ones that played the most, but the ones that have earned their name in the history books. It's for you to interpret it how you want. Will be interesting to see who the most picked players are (I think 2 players will be in everyone's team.)

- Try and spread the squad over the 13 years and ignore recency bias.
- You can be creative with the formation and where players play, but this team has to have a chance of winning a football match.

Formation: 4-3-3

GK - Stockdale - Tough one this. The promotion season was exceptional, and that save at Fulham will live long in the memory. Still surprised he left like he did, would loved to have seen him in the Prem.

RB - Calderon - Promoted with us, kept us up and scored with his face. Great to see him back.
CB - Duffy - Stalwart for what felt ages. Legendary partnership with the man below.
CB (C) - Dunk - Legend. Would be shocked if he wasn't in someone's team. Played every season, and seems to improve year on year.
LB - Bong - This was a tough one. I liked Bong, but always felt he could have been so much more. Pervis unluck to miss out.

CM - Gross - The number 2 on the list since we've been promoted. Feels like one of our own. Feels like he's reached his best and should be upgraded, but then takes another step up. Love this man and how consistent yet versatile he is.
CM - Caicedo - Another tough one. Feels like he has been here longer than he has, and feels like the one player in the current team that will certianly play for Barca, Madrid, Bayern ect. When he wants to, can run midfields by himself. Incredible talent.
CM - Mac Allister - I'm aware this was our current midfield 3, but don't think I can ignore the World Cup winner. Deserved his big move, will be tough to see him back here. Great player who always gave it his all. Will be missed.

RW - Solly March - Longevity sealed this one. Hope we still have the best to come from him.
ST - Murray - Had to be. If a player can leave us for Palace, then come back here and be loved again, he must be decent. Was the reason we are where we are now thanks to the goals under Hughton. Genuinely great pundit too whenever I see him too.
LW - Knockaert - Electric. What a season he has to get us promoted. Up there with Mitoma as the most exciting players of this era.

Manager - Hughton - Potter and Poyet unlucky, and Roberto hasn't had enough time, but god, I love Chris. Was the perfect manager for us to save us in the Championship, promote us despite the heartbreak at Boro (and against Wednesday) then keep us up. Gutted we didn't get to give a proper goodbye.

----------Stockdale--------
Calde--Duffy--Dunk(C)--Bong
---Gross--Caicedo--Ali Mac---
---Solly---Murray---Knocky---

Bench:
Matty Ryan - Never loved him, but he was reliable for our first years in the Prem. No other candidates.
Veltman - Can do a job anywhere in the back line, and what a bargain he was. Clearly a clever footballer. Would love to see him move in to coaching with us.
Bruno - Despite how it ended, was a hero for us. Loved how good he was despite his age.
Bridcutt - The best player from the Poyet era. Thought he'd be destined for more.
Stephens - Heart of midfield for so long. Despite trying to leave, knuckled down and always did a job.
Lopez - Him or Orlandi had to be included somewhere for me. The goal against Palace sealed it for Spanish Dave.
Ulloa - Wish he was with us longer. That goal at Forest will live long in the memory. (I am aware the 2 strikers aren't blessed with pace...)

Have some fun with this. You don't have to go as in detail, but I had time to kill.

Enjoy!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Steele
Veltman-Dunk-Bridge
March-Caicedo-MacAllister-Mitoma
Vicente-Enciso
Ferguson
Subs: Stockdale, Bruno, Estupinan, Groß, Ulloa, Murray, Knockaert

Manager: De Zerbi

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Stockdale

Calderon, Dunk, Duffy, Estupinan

Gross, Caicedo

Knockaert, Mac Allister, Vicente

Murray

Subs: Ryan, Veltman, Bridge, Lopez, Bissouma, Mitoma, Ulloa

Manager: De Zerbi

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Kuszczak

Calderon
Duffy
Dunk
Bridge

March
Vicente
Bridcutt

Mitoma
Zamora
Lamptey

Bench

Murray
Knockaert
Ankergren
Stephens
Greer

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ryan

Bruno, Dunk, Duffy, Bridge

Knockaert, Bissouma, Groß, March

Murray, Ulloa

Subs:
Stockdale
Veltman
Lua Lua
Calderon
Caicado
Stephens
Zamora

Manager:
Hughton

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Kusczak
Bruno
Bridge
Dunk
Duffy
MacAllister
Stephens
Gross
Mitoma
March
Murray

Sanchez
Estupian
Greer
Bridcutt
Buckley
Zamora
Vicente

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Essentially a list of favourite players not quality.

As lets be honest you could do an all time Brighton XI and it would contain probably 7 or 8 players from last season.

Heres Mine:

Stockdale

Rosenoir Dunk* Duffy Bridge

Caicado Gross

Knockaert Mac Allister Vicente

Murray

Sanchez
Veltman
Upson
Duffy
Bridcutt
Buckley
Welbeck
Zamora

*Dunk to cover in goal if Stockdale gets sent off or injured

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I'm not even going to try to pick a team but it's incredible to think that Wayne Bridge was, at the time, far and way the best Brighton left back I've seen and since then we've had Side Show Bob Cucumber and Estupinian.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
4 - 2 - 3 - 1

Manager: Chris Hughton. Firstly, a gent. Survival, near miss, promotion, survival, cup run & survival. Albion legend.

GK: Ryan - the smallest 6ft man in world football gets the gloves. A lot better than many gave credit for. Many great saves at the Amex.

RB: Bruno - hard decision with Calderon being close in second. Easily two of my favourite Albion players of all time, but Bruno edges it for his quality + role in getting us promoted and established in the prem.

CB: Dunk (C) - first name on the team sheet. Legend is a term often misused but Dunk is one.

CB: Greer - obviously not the second best CB I could’ve picked. His commitment to Brighton and leadership skills were commendable and I feel his contribution is often overlooked.

LB: Estupinan - Only 1 season at the Amex but what a contribution he had made. To replace POTS Cucurella and go beyond what any LB has done before was sensational. Bridge and Cucurella had good lone seasons at LB too but Pervis can hopefully go on and make LB his for years to come.

CDM: Stephens - oh Dale, you may be slow at times but played an undoubtedly vital role in getting us promoted and settled in the Prem. The championship partnership with Kayal deserves a mention.

CDM: Cacideo - only played for a season and a bit, but his impact has propelled him into this list of Albion gems. Players of his quality don’t come too often.

RW: Knockaert - ‘simply box office’ when he was on it. Thanks for getting us promoted Anthony.

CAM: Gross - absolutely had to be included into the 11. Played as a 10, CDM, RB or wherever is needed. Always done a job.

LW: March - been here since 2012 and is getting more lethal with age.

CF: Murray - my favourite Albion striker during the AMEX era. Potter underplayed him at the end of his career which was a shame. Huge contribution against West Ham to then save Potter’s skin.

Bench:

Stockdale - just about forgiven him for that Norwich performance 🍺. Shame he left how he did, but he was vital for Hughton.

Calderon - heart on his sleeve, ball in his face.

Bissouma - decent chant and a vital player for Potter. Underused by Chris perhaps.

Sidwell - the emotions from Bristol meant a lot.

Vicente - Poyet benched him so fitting he is here too. I was very excited when we signed him and was mesmerised when he was given a chance to play.

Ulloa - goals, Amex memories, a huge final minute goal, decent chant and even returned to do a job. Can’t ask for much more! I believe his penalty shot has finally landed.

Zamora - running the length of the pitch to score a wonderful counter attacking goal a personal favourite moment. More than held his own and contributed when he returned. It was like being 10 again watching Bobby play at the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here