Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Albion story... when did it start?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Mid 80s ish I think, no idea who my first game was against. Always amazes me when people can remember their first game

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Nice intro to Div 1, 0-4. I remember the disappointment well.

Was a major disappointment but still great to get to Div 1

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
1968, against Mansfield at the Goldstone aged 7. My dad took me just as he'd been taken by his dad - definite sense of family tradition - we support the Albion and only the Ablion.. Can remember being shocked by the swearing. Drifted away when I eventually went to University but moved back to the area. Went to a match at the goldstone shortly after my dad died, GOSBTS came on, I burst into tears for him and have been captured again ever since.

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
It all started around 1968, at the age of 13, awesome experience for a youngster and his mates catching the train, the excitement building up as you got off at Hove station and walking to the ground into the North stand. At first standing on the edge of the centre of the terrace and then eventually getting to the middle where the action was. Great times had by all and the older lads and men looking after you if it got a bit lively outside the ground (and in it) until you could look after yourself, there were no comments then about the older generation being in the north, sang my head off back then and still do today in the north, fell out with footy abit after the Goldstone went and getting married / raising a family and having no spare money did not help, but I am back on it now at full speed.

Always remember my 1st game v scarboro in FA cup at goldstone we won 3-0 I was in west stand with brothers and father and been hooked ever since.....I was around 8 at the time now nearly 40 years later still follow every week just love everything about the albion. Due to living in the midlands only get to see a few times a season but every game I watch/listen /follow via stream radio tv NSC any media that I can.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Wednesday, 12 April 1967, vs Torquay United. Lost 1-0 so didn't raise any false expectations in this then 9yo. I have the programme framed and sitting on top of the filing cabinet in the study. My dad, a Spuds fan, took me thinking I would grow out of it. Never did.

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
Last game of the 1972/73 season. We were already relegated and drew 2-2 with Nottingham Forest

Used to watch from the East Terrace with my Dad and Brother, sitting on the wall before the game and standing on a box during the game (was only 9). Always a weird sight seeing scores of youngsters carrying milk crates / boxes to and from the ground

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
My signature tells the story - now I'm one of the moany old gits in the WSU!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
1975 or 76.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was at the same game as Attila the Stockbroker, see the wall in Dicks Bar. From then it was on and off interspersed with a few games at Stamford Bridge. Addiction started early 70's, ST in the South Stand sitting on a bench in the Clough era, moved to the East with mates and on to the West when we could get ST for the terraces. Lived the dream until 1984 when I moved to Spain.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
From the start of my e-book

"The opening day of the season can be entirely forgettable but an eventful one sticks in your mind more than most of the rest of the season. I remember four of them clear as a bell, two for the wrong reasons entirely. The first was 1979. Brighton had been promoted to the First Division, the top league the season before. I was just discovering supporting them. I hadn’t yet been to a game but I wanted to very badly. The previous May my dad and I (even though he hated football) had gone to the end of our road where the open top bus parade for the promoted team was passing down Sackville Road. Soon it came past. When I was a kid I loved buses. I could name every route and most of the number plates, but it wasn’t the bus that impressed me. On top of it were the players, Ward, Horton, Lawrenson, men who were already on the way to legendary status in the club. They didn’t impress me much either. What impressed me were the fans, led, I assume, by The Bosun Boys, running ahead of and behind the bus and chanting in unison. That’s who I wanted to be. That’s what I wanted to do.
Our first game in the top flight was against Arsenal. At the same time I was in my mum and dad’s blue Ford Cortina heading up to Lincolnshire to spend a couple of weeks with my Gran and Granddad. Just before Peterborough the Cortina’s pistons went in a shower of smoke from the engine and we had to pull in. My uncle arrived from Grantham to give us a tow. While he towed he had the car radio on and Brighton were on it. Goals were raining thick and fast but, unfortunately they were all for Arsenal. They won 4-0 and I had to listen to the whole thing whilst similarly worrying (I was a worrisome eight year old, The Boy gets it from me) if the car was about to set on fire and how we’d get home. That was my first ever game on the radio."

Two years after that my dad found friends that would take me (Joan and Fraser, one of whom was his guitar pupil, if you're still around and you read this you are my first Albion heroes) and the rest was history. Like the OP I booed my eyes out over the Cup Final replay. Was going by myself in the North from 1985 and first season of aways was 87-88.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
someone at school was handing out FREE tickets to the Fulham match at home Christmas time 1958
we got in and some guy let me sit on his shoulders in the south-west corner

that hooked me

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
21st August 1993 - a 1-1 draw with Hartlepool United.

I was 9 years old at the time and we lived just outside Oxford, although my Mum's family are from Sussex. Up to that point I considered myself to be a Man United (in particular Eric Cantona) fan, but we came down to visit and my cousin took me to the Goldstone for my first experience of actual live football. I enjoyed it and so it became a regular thing on our visits down here and, despite us not being exactly in the Glory Years form-wise, for the first 10 games or so that I went to we always either won or drew, which helped at that age.

21 and a half years later, after having had a season ticket at Withdean when work permitted and having seen us promoted and relegated multiple times each, here I am. It's very rarely been dull being an Albion fan, but I'd have it no other way. :thumbsup:

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The old man taking me to the West Stand in the very early seventies. Getting there early enough to get a good spot near the tunnel, being stood on our homemade wooden stool the smell of sweet tobacco from a multitude of pipes at full blast always takes me back. Argus on way home, Stop Press results after walking across Hove Park to the car, home for The Generation Game and The Two Ronnies.

Isn't it, wasn't it?

That could pretty much be my story except I stood on a milk crate and started life at the back of the south stand terrace until it burned down and we migrated to the north side of the tunnel on the West Stand terrace.

My earliest memory is of sitting with my Dad (God rest him) on the benches in the South Stand in the mid 1970s. I was at the Palace game, an evening game if I recall correctly, when our fans started singing "Seagulls" for the first time - in response to the Palace Eagles.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Early mid 70's for me when we were known as the Dolphins, which was short lived when the rival started with Crystal Palarse, Mate of mine had a spare ticket honestly can not remember what game but with the rivalry with palarse just starting I was hooked.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
I wrote it down, many moons ago, as my first match, so it must be true but don't remember it at all. It was August 23rd 1952 against the frightful Palarse and evidently we won 4-1... what a fantastic start to my career. So coming up for 63 years of Albion deep, deep supportive love. AND that special something has been passed down to my son and my son's son. What a wonderful legacy! Three generations going to the Amex now... getting over-soppy at the moment but I can pop my clogs knowing I have passed on something that has made my heart full to bursting over all these years... and hopefully for a lot longer

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
On my dad's shoulders watching the very last game of the 70's - home to Man City 29th Dec 1979. We won 4-0, I was 6 years old and have vague memories of a couple of the goals. That was it I was totally hooked.

My dad's Albion story had started in the early 1960's.

Fast forward a few years and for my son his Albion story started in March 2011 - that amazing game against Carlisle!!
Now the 3 of us are sharing the same story.

Almost brings a bit of a tear to my eye!! - Don't tell anyone as I am sounding a bit soft!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here