Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Albion mojo: when was it at the peak and when at the lowest

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Opening up a conversation I've been having elsewhere on the level of your Albion mojo as, for most people it seems, it does not sit at the same level all of the time.

There may have been a time in your life when you went to EVERY game, home and away - it's just what you did.

There may have been other times, perhaps due to finances, family or perhaps just falling briefly out of love with the Albion and/or football, where you barely went to a game at all for a period of time.

So - when was your Albion mojo at it's highest and when was it at it's lowest?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Highest - From the first days of Gus til now. Always been on the Gus bus, even during some poor results in the early days, you could see he was trying to instill something very special in the club.

Lowest - The return of Micky. No ideas. Terrible excuses for losing games. Crap loan signings. We were going down. No question.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Highest - past five years as kids have joined in

Lowest - the ten years prior to that as kids were growing up and Saturdays meant 'Fun Factory', playgrounds, country walks and the cinema

Consequence - never saw Bobby Zamora play for us :facepalm:

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Last season from Sandaza's goal v Oldham til now.

Worst was Mickey Adams pt II, for the first time ever I missed a game and I thought to myself I dont actually mind not going anymore

I did the whole of the play off promotion season with Mcghee in charge. With the run either side of that season, I think I did 109 consecutive games home and away, then I moved to India and missed 4 months of football

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Highest probably the second of our three title wins, loads of raucous road trips with friends and a brilliant season to boot. The lowest Mickey Part II I was just going along out of duty and unfortunately had to let the football interrupt a nice afternoon in the pub.

I am absolutely loving this season but for many reasons have had to miss quite a few games, next season will hopefully be different.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Highest - The 2001 title winning side. Went to almost every game home and away and felt for the first time in my life I actually supported a proper club.

Lowest - McGhee towards the end of his tenure.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Highest - 83 to 90 probably until the Gus era. Now it couldn't get much higher (for which I also thank my good friend David)

Lowest - saw very few games from 93-00 because of kids and work and a general feeling of disengagement with the Albion. My (then) seven year old got me back into it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lowest - The return of Micky. No ideas. Terrible excuses for losing games. Crap loan signings. We were going down. No question.

Yep have to agree with that for the lowest, really wasnt looking forward to going. But thats only because I didnt really DO Gillingham and only got to about a dozen games :( in those two years. So maybe that was when my mojo was lowest, however I did look forward to those games.

Highest - well that would have to be Play Off season of 1990/1991.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
There may have been a time in your life when you went to EVERY game, home and away - it's just what you did.

Tho thats my mission for this year.

Thirty five games so far. Leeds will be thirty six.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Highest playing the semi final against Sheffield Wednesday, the thousands of fans getting off the tube at Highbury and singing
our hearts out as we walked to the ground.

The lowest was when we lost in the FA cup to Kingtonian (I think) at home. The ground was a dump, loads of unrest, freezing cold and
just bloody miserable. I do believe I muttered the word 'never again' at the end of the match

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lowest Albion mojo and most depressed are for me two different things. The most worried and depressed I've felt about the Albion was halftime at Hereford (even though I was in Preston Park at the time) and also the times when I thought Falmer was never going to happen. However I loved the camaraderie of the BISA, anti-Archer movement and then the 'Falmer for All' campaign.

My lowest actual Albion mojo moment was during Adams MkII when even when I was offered free tickets I couldn't be arsed to go.

Highest - Well I went to every game home and away during the 'glory years' and obviously there were some great individual moments, but even though I'm nowhere near that attendance level any more I think my overall Albion mojo has probably never been higher. I really believe we're on the cusp of the greatest era in the club's history.

Low. Attending my only game at Priestfield, can't remember who it was against but we lost one-nil. Highpoint of the day was seeing a lady Medway Chav still in dressing gown having a full on effing and blinding argument with some kids on the pavement outside her house.

High. Fortunately more than lows, I think the 1 - 0 victory over Cheaterfield for the first Withdean Championship is the one, I am sure like many I had a brief "grit in the eye" moment there, never forget Attila playing "We are the Champions" twice in succession after the final whistle - "because I can...".

D

Deleted member 18477

highest - last season as it was simply STUNNING! & this season as i've got my father into it properly again and now has a ST.

lowest - not having a ST during the Bobby era!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
HIGHEST: The season we went up from the bottom division beating the brown envelope brigade to the title and also attending every game that season.

LOWEST: When Mark McGhee told us games didn't matter despite the fact we forked out hard earned cash to watch them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Highest - I still believe 2011 was the greatest calendar year in Albion's history - certainly in my Albion history. Some may point to 1958 or 1979, and good luck to them. My Albion mojo was never so high from January to December (even late September); I can't think back on so many games in one single year where I have a such a warm glow, or shed an emotional tear. Perversely, I still think that my mojo can go higher.

As I said on the Roar last week - I honestly feel at the moment that the sky isn't the limit; it's merely a stop-off point on the way up.

Lowest - 1995-99. I mean... f***ing hell. :facepalm:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Highest.....the whole of the 87/88 season. I was 15, had a season ticket, went to loads of away matches, and we seemed to win every week. Good team as well.

Lowest.....losing the Goldstone, I loved our ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here