Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I write articles
I think I'm the Messiah
I am just a tool

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I read the cut and past from Gary in Leeds. My Favourite bit is the random X-Men reference. What could this be possibly getting at?

Is Sami Hypia really Magneto with a plan for world mutant domination?
Does Chris O'Grady have better or worse movement than Professor Xavier?
Does David Stockdale have Wolverine style claws which is why he really wears gloves?

Hopefully there will be a Captain America reference in Timmy's next school Project when it comes out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I read the cut and past from Gary in Leeds. My Favourite bit is the random X-Men reference. What could this be possibly getting at?

I could be wrong, but I THINK that it is a sophisticated reference to DRAWING lots of matches ( X = a draw on a pools coupon, kind of thing...). Clever stuff.

The X Men

The Albion have now drawn four league games in a row.

Although of course two were goalless draws so your pools coupon would be knacked.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I could be wrong, but I THINK that it is a sophisticated reference to DRAWING lots of matches ( X = a draw on a pools coupon, kind of thing...). Clever stuff.

Although of course two were goalless draws so your pools coupon would be knacked.

Journalistic class of that kind is wasted on mere mortals like me. A draw percentage of 45% over the season is an obvious linkage to a crap Hollywood franchise.

Personally I'd rather references to 'Superman Lewis Dunk' 'Lassie Like Craig Mackail Smith' or he finished like 'Donkey from Shrek <insert striker here>' if we are going down the super hero route.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Journalistic class of that kind is wasted on mere mortals like me. A draw percentage of 45% over the season is an obvious linkage to a crap Hollywood franchise.

Personally I'd rather references to 'Superman Lewis Dunk' 'Lassie Like Craig Mackail Smith' or he finished like 'Donkey from Shrek <insert striker here>' if we are going down the super hero route.

Those are a bit too basic though, I'd think. Quite clearly here, the writer wants the reader to have to extend themselves a little, to fully understand, and thus benefit truly from the piece. He's Luc Besson to Martin Samuel's Spielberg.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You see, once I realise a thread is one of HB&B's self-promoting efforts, I simply don't bother to click on the link.

Part of me wants to, just to know if the article really is as terrible as almost everybody says it is. But then again, every time somebody does that, it registers as a "view", and from previous experience, he takes the viewing stats as some kind of indicator of the success/ brilliance of the article. I'm not willing to contribute to that, so I save myself the time.

With me Edna I call it my Medusa complex. I just can't help but look. It's akin to what you must see in your job sometimes - you know ? The slowing down to look at a car crash.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
With me Edna I call it my Medusa complex. I just can't help but look. It's akin to what you must see in your job sometimes - you know ? The slowing down to look at a car crash.

But a really crap car crash, where nobody's hurt, but which leaves you thinking "What sort of absolute bloody idiot managed to do that, and how were they ever allowed behind the wheel?".

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Is Sami Hypia really Magneto with a plan for world mutant domination?
Does Chris O'Grady have better or worse movement than Professor Xavier?
Does David Stockdale have Wolverine style claws which is why he really wears gloves?

Hopefully there will be a Captain America reference in Timmy's next school Project when it comes out.

But normally with a crosshead, there is further explanation of it in the following paragraph, or at least mention of it.

I thought it could be that, or the fact he was talking about "Ex" managers. Either way, it's a bit naff, but not the worst thing wrong with it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have to take issue with the use of "fairly". :nono:

I accept your point. I am just not normally over condemnatory because the poor love who wrote it might read what I have said and it might hurt his/her feelings.

But you're right. It's erratic and erroneous and.....crap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here