Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] You break into Old Trafford...

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Nobody takes any notice of peaceful protests, which is presumably why this kicked off. However you do have to choose your targets carefully, and make sure some idiot doesn't go off script and pick a fight with those not directly involved. Attacking police and damaging a Sky camera ( or whoever it belonged to) just give the media a perfect excuse to roll out the "not real fan" excuse.

By that criteria, Brighton didn't have any real fans during The Darkness.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Are the government gonna act? If they don’t this is gonna get nasty

Well, the protesting laws might get stricter. Pritti Patel will say she was right all along - if a policeman has been slashed on the face today, that it terrible.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Premier League have released a statement saying Man Utd will be hit with a severe penalty following the invasion of Old Trafford by fans this afternoon.

Bruno Fernandes will take it.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The Premier League have released a statement saying Man Utd will be hit with a severe penalty following the invasion of Old Trafford by fans this afternoon.

Bruno Fernandes will take it.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I was going by Nicky Campbell’s phone the morning ESL after had collapsed.

The first two callers seemed genuine lifelong Spuds. Excusing their club of all blame “Levy/Lewis only went along with it because they couldn’t be left behind, I don’t hold it against my club whatsoever. I blame it entirely on the other clubs”.

Normal tribalism resumed. Loyalty to the club.

Utter crap of course. Lockdown and the £1b stadium has left THFC with a big debt. The initial advance from JP Morgan would’ve wiped £100m’s off that debt at the stroke of a bank transfer.

All ESL clubs were fully aware of what they were doing, they’re run by clever businessmen, it was secretly in the making for many months.

To add to that, Levy is well aware that Tottenham don't normally qualify for the Champions League, they haven't actually been champions for almost 60 years, and the only reason they were invited at all was because they're in London. If Tottenham have to rely on their footballing ability to be in the major European competition, they will sooner or later fail. As soon as Kane leaves, I would think.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To add to that, Levy is well aware that Tottenham don't normally qualify for the Champions League, they haven't actually been champions for almost 60 years, and the only reason they were invited at all was because they're in London. If Tottenham have to rely on their footballing ability to be in the major European competition, they will sooner or later fail. As soon as Kane leaves, I would think.

:thumbsup:

Arsenal similarly. They’re a footballing million miles away from the money/squads of Mancs x 2 and Chelsea.

ESL was their sole means of eating at the top table.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Souness just does not get it

Souness would back the fans to the hilt if they were Liverpool. There are alleged aspects of the protest that sound bang out of order but the vast majority is driving at the same point. It’s reassuring to see that the fans of these clubs want to protect fair competition.

It’s also a bank holiday weekend and this f###ing virus is finally in remission. Their owners are shocking, money grabbing, unprincipled, American businessmen trying to stabilise a balance sheet. I’d be angry too.

Can you imagine the uproar if Englishmen bought the Redsox and the Yankees (in a younger sport than our own) and tried to guarantee their entry into the playoffs each year? This is roughly equivalent.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is this right? What’s your source? If so, this is horrible.

Per their annual accounts, all online for free, I had a look at the US parent company.

Over 16 years, it all stacks up.

Not knocking him, but pre ESL I think that’s what rankles Gary Neville. Mansour has injected £2b, whilst the Glazer’s have taken a relatively small slice of huge annual revenues for themselves.

Bottom line, I don’t know if he’s made it plain .... GN wanted that to be zero, giving £65m additional every summer window for players.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Per their annual accounts, all online for free, I had a look at US parent company.

Over 16 years, it all stacks up.

Not knocking him, but pre ESL I think that’s what rankles Gary Neville. Mansour has injected £2b, whilst the Glazer’s have taken a relatively small slice of huge annual revenues for themselves.

Bottom line, I don’t know if he’s made it plain .... GN wanted that to be zero, giving £65m additional every summer window for players.

Do you know if they are also salaried or does the billion include that? Thanks for response as that is fascinating and a horrifying way to run a club.

The only reason they own that club is their access to banks (J P Morgan - same lender for ESL) providing a loan securitised by the club. Saddle the club, pay yourself huge consultancy fees.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Talk Sport divs complaining about those fans as "not true fans" but, not often I say this about United fans, well done to those who broke in. Sometimes it's the only way. No violence, no criminal damage, just anger vented. Good to feck it up for the "worldwide audience" and the fixtures of both of these "ESL clubs".
edit - Talk Sport "not wishing to speculate" then going on repeatedly about "someone must have unlocked a door for them".

I'm not against direct action, even disruptive action. But there was violence (officers injured, flying bottles etc) and there was damage too.

Problem is, when that happens you start to lose the room.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
There is no excuse for bottling a copper. That one fan must be punished by the law and banned from Old Trafford. The protest and peaceful invasion is another matter. We know how they feel . In a way they speak for all of us indignant at the corporate takeover of our clubs . Let’s hope the owners get the message and go back to where they can exploit sports fans with impunity.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Man Utd have themselves to blame for floating on the Stock Market and losing control. When the takeover rumours circulated 16 years ago I bought some shares and sold them to the Glazers the next week for a small £1,000 profit.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I hate that the ESL had made me start to like Chelsea and Man U fans. I have hapily despised the majority of them for year now, in fact up until yesterday I disliked fans of Man U more than any other club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here