Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You are the Ref - Test your bizarre football knowledge here!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So I've posted some referee scenarios on here before. Some more bizarre than others - but this is one thrown at me yesterday by a fellow referee.

Dunk takes a throw in back to Stockdale, who tries to control the ball, but it goes under his feet - and without touching the ball injures himself in the process.
Lewis, realising the ball is rolling agonisingly towards the net, sprints towards the ball and before any opposition players can react dives and tips the ball round the post with his hand.

As the referee - what decision do you give? How do you restart the game? What punishment (if any) does Dunk receive?

Let's see if anyone can get it. - Reasons behind your answers appreciated too!

And the answer is.....?

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
As the ball was in play, it is a penalty. As you can't score directly from a throw-in don't have to send Dunk off (as it wasn't a goal-scoring opportunity) but if he knew the Laws he could have just let it roll in and the throw-in would probably just have to be re-taken.

On reflection the throw-in would be given to the oppo not just retaken in that scenario? Bizarrely if it was 'keeper who took the throw-in then handled the ball again in penalty area, would just be a indirect free-kick not a pen.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
As the ball was in play, it is a penalty. As you can't score directly from a throw-in don't have to send Dunk off (as it wasn't a goal-scoring opportunity) but if he knew the Laws he could have just let it roll in and the throw-in would probably just have to be re-taken.

This is the closest to being right!

The ball is in play as soon as Dunk throws it. However he can't be sent off as he is not denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity (can't score from your own set piece / can't score from a throw in.)
So the offences are Dunk touching the ball twice - which would be an IDFK. HOWEVER as he has handled the ball, this is an offence in its own right. - And a more serious offence than a 'double touch'. It's always the case that you must punish the 'most serious offence'
Therefore you have to punish the handball with the appropriate punishment - a penalty, and a yellow card.

(If there had been a attacker about to score when Dunk handled the ball, it would be a red card for Denying an Obvious goal scoring opportunity)>

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
It's a penalty. FACT.

Probably a yellow card too for deliberate handball.

Last edited:

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

The ball is in play as soon as Dunk throws it. However he can't be sent off as he is not denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity (can't score from your own set piece / can't score from a throw in.)
So the offences are Dunk touching the ball twice - which would be an IDFK. HOWEVER as he has handled the ball, this is an offence in its own right. - And a more serious offence than a 'double touch'. It's always the case that you must punish the 'most serious offence'
Therefore you have to punish the handball with the appropriate punishment - a penalty, and a yellow card.

(If there had been a attacker about to score when Dunk handled the ball, it would be a red card for Denying an Obvious goal scoring opportunity)>

What would have happened if Dunk just let the ball go into the net? Foul throw?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
This is what happens : 63 in the North Stand think it's a re-throw, 89 think it's a corner, 2 fear a penalty.18 go for an indirect free kick in line with the 6 yard box, and all the rest have left early to get the train. As the "offence" happened at the South End it's really hard to tell if Dunk actually touched the ball at all, so the stewards opt for a scrum. The North Stand erupts in internecine fighting, the referee abandons the game, and everybody goes home to hear Steve Claridge work it out.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The correct answer is...

FIFA Laws of the Game 2014-15

Infringements and sanctions

Throw-in taken by a player other than the goalkeeper

If, after the ball is in play, the thrower touches the ball again (except with his hands) before it has touched another player:
● an indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick)

If, after the ball is in play, the thrower deliberately handles the ball before it has touched another player:
● a direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team, to be taken from the place where the infringement occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick)
a penalty kick is awarded if the infringement occurred inside the thrower's penalty area

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Now if a goalkeeper is down injured should the referee not have stopped play? The Handball is the confusing part as he wouldnt be seen as a keeper as you need to make the referee aware of the change of keeper first.

So if it isnt that the ref should stop play I would go for a Penalty and a yellow card, it wouldnt be a red as he is not stopping a goal scoring oppotunity (No mention of any strikers involved from opposing team).

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Point of order - denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity is not a red card offence, there's no such thing. I think the same applies to "deliberate handball"

Yoda

English & European

Surely as the 'keeper is injured, you would have the discretion to stop play for treatment before Dunk gets to the ball to stop it? Then just restart the match from a drop ball.

One of only two occasions when you are allowed to. The other being a head injury.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Surely as the 'keeper is injured, you would have the discretion to stop play for treatment before Dunk gets to the ball to stop it? Then just restart the match from a drop ball.

One of only two occasions when you are allowed to. The other being a head injury.

Surely the referee has the discretion to stop play any time he feels fit.
Supporters on the pitch, advertising hoardings being blown on pitch, lightning, etc.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At first I thought that was the answer, but thinking about it again, you can't throw the ball to yourself, so as he touched it twice, the throw should be retaken.

That was my take on it. No different to a goalkeeper scuffing a goal kick three inches along the floor and then kicking it again.

Even if it had rolled into the net, it wouldn't have counted, as you can't score from a throw in. Stupid Dunk, trying to stop the ball going in :D

Though I can't remember if it's a free kick or a retake.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Surely the referee has the discretion to stop play any time he feels fit.
Supporters on the pitch, advertising hoardings being blown on pitch, lightning, etc.

Absolutely. A referee may stop the game for any sort of injury if he sees fit. Doesn't have to be a head injury (that's just a guideline).

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
That was my take on it. No different to a goalkeeper scuffing a goal kick three inches along the floor and then kicking it again.

Even if it had rolled into the net, it wouldn't have counted, as you can't score from a throw in. Stupid Dunk, trying to stop the ball going in :D

Though I can't remember if it's a free kick or a retake.

Check my post above

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here