Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Yet only four miles away in Falmer are kids who, unbelievably, have never seen the sea."

Oct 25, 2003
i find the sea very therapeutic and fortunately I have a sea view from my flat in shoreham. When I was clinically depressed I tried to spend as much time as possible near the sea and it definitely helped.

there's certainly something about it that is just remarkable

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
There is a flip side to this, there are some kids in Brighton who have never experienced walking to school, trapped behind the sturdy windows of their Range Rovers and Audi Q7s they can't bear to look at the poor children so have to engage in Ipad therapy.

Your first post was iffy and then you come up with this! Please allow me to patronise.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you read my first post properly you will note that I quoted her: "Yet only four miles away in Falmer are kids who, unbelievably, have never seen the sea."
You don't though: I saw the quote but you don't say where it comes from. It could be from the headline, standfirst or photo caption - none of which would have been written by her.

And if it was from the article, you don't set it in any context. Was she referring to the school or the estate?

She could well have got it wrong, but my point is that we can't deduce this from what's been written on this thread

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
i find the sea very therapeutic and fortunately I have a sea view from my flat in shoreham. When I was clinically depressed I tried to spend as much time as possible near the sea and it definitely helped.

there's certainly something about it that is just remarkable

Absolutely, it also offers a direction as well if that makes sense compared to landlocked places.

I cycle on the undercliff and I am always taken by the number of quite elderly persons on their own, staring and looking out to sea, I wonder if they are thinking about loved ones lost, or perhaps their own mortality, the sea lends itself to thoughts.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My friends Aunt adopted a boy from Whitehawk, he was about 4 or 5 at the time, he had never been to the sea front or seen an escalator, he was terrified the first time he faced a set of moving stairs. True story, sad but true.

Yes, but this report says 'never SEEN the sea', not 'never been for a nice day out at the seaside'. Surely the poor kid from Whitehawk or Hollingbury just has to turn their head in the right direction, to SEE it!

(My Mum is also a social worker in Brighton, btw)

My mum's best friend is also in social services. We were having a chat quite some time ago, maybe a year or more about kids in Whitehawk who had never left Whitehawk. I take the point that the sea is pretty bloody visible from anywhere high in the city but the point the writer is making stands.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Interesting stuff. She's wrong about the Greens losing in May, but she's spot on about the rubbish collections. It's shocking, and for a Green Council, the recycling system is appalling.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You don't though: I saw the quote but you don't say where it comes from. It could be from the headline, standfirst or photo caption - none of which would have been written by her.

And if it was from the article, you don't set it in any context. Was she referring to the school or the estate?

She could well have got it wrong, but my point is that we can't deduce this from what's been written on this thread

On the Opinion page under the heading of Janice Turner Notebook so I'm guessing it was written by her.
I've quoted pretty much all of the relevant paragraphs of her piece and, as I said earlier, it's not clear exactly wht she means by "Falmer" in the context of kids who have never seen the sea. It's either the school or the estates behind Falmer. Anyway, not sure if it's particularly relevant. Her point is that there are (she states) kids in the Falmer area who have never seen the sea.

Wonder if they know there's a fancy looking stadium on their doorstep?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Shocking.

Take away their benefits I say.

This. If they can't take their underprivileged Lizzie Duke darlings to the beach for a Mr. Whippy and a Panda Pop they don't deserve government hand outs. You'd think they would spend less at Iceland and treat little Tyrone and/or Bianca to a big day out to Peter Pan's playground.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Compete bollox, if she is saying it's children who are from council estates or not, they all sit in front of the tv and I can name countless childrens tv shows that have the sea involved.

Heres three of the top of my head.
Balamory, Old Jack's Boat, & Fireman Sam has that stupid kid with ginger hair & glasses who is always getting into trouble in and around the sea I am totally shocked he has not died yet.

Don't forget Spongebob Squarepants!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've had a fairly harrowing and horrific day centred around children from care.

Anyone sat next to me wouldn't doubt the validity of the original statement in this thread.
Frankly being deprived of the sea is the least of some children's worries..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here