Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet More Indecision

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Yes he made a mistake, although from where I was sitting it looked like the ball ballooned straight up in the air off of one of our defender's boots - not the only time that happened yesterday. Great save from the inswinging corner though, n'est ce pas? He makes mistakes, if he didn't he wouldn't be playing for us; same with any other player.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I much preferred his first half antics of seemingly falling on the floor in a heap from a corner, when no player was near him, and the ball hadn't even reached the 6 yard box yet. No suprise the referee didn't blow his whistle. What a joke.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Smith was dreadful for the reserves though. Which devil should we pick for Tuesday?

Taxman

I've got beautiful eyes
Oct 16, 2006
I think we're alone now
I think Smith has made less mistakes than Kuipers despite shipping in a load of goals without a full compliment of players infront of him.

I heard he made a mistake in the reserves, but in the first team he looked god enough, only questionable one was the one where Baker chipped him for Stockport, but even then he should have been tackled by any one of the 4 people he took it past

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I confess to being slightly surprised that more people didn't query Kuipers' role in Southend's late winner in the previous home game.

I fully accept that Elphick was culpable for making the mistake that led to the Southend player getting away, but the striker was almost on the goal line when he got his shot in, and to stop the ball getting in the net from that angle, pretty much all you have to do is stand on the post. I couldn't believe it ended up in the back of the net. Fortunately for Kuipers, other players' role in that goal were more immediately noticeable, and he got away with it, but it was hugely disappointing.

Yesterday, he was nowhere for that goal, and yet still managed to rant at the defence about it. In fact he just seems to be on a permanent rant this season, full stop. Milton Keynes scored from a corner which some disputed (I was too far away to see) but then Kuipers runs over to the side of the penalty box to argue the toss with one of the officials. FFS, get in your bloody goal and concentrate on keeping the damn thing out of the net.

I can't be the only one fed up with watching Kuipers clown around and bang on at officials about trivial decisions. I'd rather he just focused on his own game, which is as inconsistent as the rest of our defence at the moment.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Time to get smith in, kuipers is so clearly past it he barely deseves to make the bench for the reserves

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
TCB is sconspicuous by his absence on here

Don't provoke him, it's a good thing. :thumbsup:

All goalkpeers make mistakes. Petr Cech at Wigan, Iker Casillas against Elche, Dave Jimbo at Birmingham, Wayne Henderson in every game he's ever played (His MAGICAL display at Palace being the ONLY exception).

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
True, but it's when the mistakes start to appear more regularly that it becomes an issue.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
And sadly, my confidence in the man is waning slightly. He wasn't at his best against Southend either, but to be fair, I thought that the goal aside he was solid and dependable yesterday. His kicking especially, he had a couple put back on his left foot which is always a heart in the mouth moment, and he really got Bennett through the game at times at right back. I don't know where you sit, Miss Krabappel, but from where I was in H you could really hear Michel talking to Bennett and keeping him focused. People often criticise his organisational skills, but I thought he did well there yesterday.

His record this season does speak for itself and aswell, Southend aside when the entire defence was uncharacteristic. Clean sheet at Brentford, then only beaten very early on at Millwall followed by a clean sheet at home to Wycombe and then away to Carlisle. He performed heroics at Bristol Rovers more than once aswell, so in general, he's still our #1 and still performing at a very high level.

I don't pretend to be unbiased though, I'll always love Michel Kuipers. Even after the 3 goals he allowed Swindon in April. :down:

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
His kicking is and never has been good. He would be better as a punter in American Football. He does not and never has kicked through the ball. To much air never gives our strikers a chance to read where he will kick, they can't get flick on's, and we lose possession to easily. These are all basics which added to his flapping at crosses and inability to organise the defence has caused us problems for a few seasons now. Not all his fault though as defence has not been solid for a while. We miss having a natural leader ie Cullip.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Made a complete arse of himself in the 1st half where he fell over at a corner and naturally blamed anyone near him including the referee.

Very suspect for the goal, bring on the jock.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
His kicking is and never has been good. He would be better as a punter in American Football. He does not and never has kicked through the ball. To much air never gives our strikers a chance to read where he will kick, they can't get flick on's, and we lose possession to easily. These are all basics which added to his flapping at crosses and inability to organise the defence has caused us problems for a few seasons now. Not all his fault though as defence has not been solid for a while. We miss having a natural leader ie Cullip.

And yet with Michel Kuipers in goal, we won back to back league championships. How did that happen? Was it ONLY Bobby Zamora, Danny Cullip, Charlie Oatway, Paul Watson and Paul Brooker? Because I remember Michel Kuipers being an absolute hero in those seasons and then in the Championship aswell. Michel has been our #1 pretty much exclusively for a decade (injuries and Ben Roberts aside) and that's because his positives far outweigh the negatives.

His fall in the first half was pretty funny though. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here