Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yeovil

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Without doubt the worst away trip on the calendar, so I wasn't too sorry to see them relegated from the Championship. Shocking collapse since then though, they just haven't been able to arrest that downward spiral. Sturrocks got his work cut out there.
As soon as I saw the thread I said Easy 10 is gonna slag off the away trip.
Sturrock is beyond his sell by date.
They have a poor squad.
They are riddled with injuries.
All very demotivated within the club.
Non league football beckons I am afraid, nice club with flowers in the gents away toilets.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I was chairman I would move Holloway in either as DOF or manager if Sturock wouldnt accept that and allow him to bring in some free transfers in January and release those not good enough. That is their only hope of survival in the FL but they need to act now. not in February.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If I was chairman I would move Holloway in either as DOF or manager if Sturock wouldnt accept that and allow him to bring in some free transfers in January and release those not good enough. That is their only hope of survival in the FL but they need to act now. not in February.

If they are serious about wanting to maintain their status in the Football League, then yes, now is the time to act.

I'm 99.9% sure that Holloway wouldn't want to get involved though. He is happy enough as a Sky pundit until/unless a better job offer comes along.

theboybilly

Yeovil are a non-league club that have overachieved. Harsh I know (and it pains me to say it) but it's best they accept that fact. There are clubs in the Conference (or whatever it is now) that can easily fill Yeovil's place. Chucking money at them will only lead to heartache

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
I saw the play-off Final at Wembley in 2013 (was it?) when they beat Brentford 2-1. Nearly all the town was there, they packed out one end of Wembley.

Unfortunately none of them had the financial clout to get good enough players to keep them for more than one season in the Championship, they've been in free-fall ever since. This is not new, I can remember Northampton had one season in the old Div.1 back in the early 1960's, in about 3 seasons they were back in Div 4!

Look at Stockports fall from grace 2001/2002 relegated from the equivalent or the championship then by the 2013/2014 season they were plying there trade in the Blue square Conference North! still at least it gives me a good club to rise through the leagues in football manager.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
At the start of the season I looked at League 2 for a 'story' about a team who could be relegated. Thought it could be Yeovil as they have slipped through the divisions (a bit like us, mid/late 90s). Odds of 5-1 ish. Did I place the bet? Did I f@#k!! 😭

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yeovil Town spent over 100 years as a non league team, they were always known as giant killers in the FA Cup and used to get decent crowds at their old Huish ground.

My late father was born and bred in Yeovil and the old ground was not that far from my grandparents house, I went a few times to watch them, I thought the old Huish wasn't a bad ground.
The ground was in the town and Yeovil had plenty of decent pubs, the downside was the railway station back then, if we caught the train down to Yeovil from Brighton we had to stop at Yeovil junction and this is miles from Yeovil town centre.
Not sure what line Yeovil Pen Mill station is on, but that is nearer town.

I visited the new Huish to watch the Albion on our last visit and was really disappointed with this stadium, it doesn't look any bigger than the old ground and as others have mentioned its a pain to get to.

Some good photos of the old ground on www.ciderspace.co.uk

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Yeovil Town spent over 100 years as a non league team, they were always known as giant killers in the FA Cup and used to get decent crowds at their old Huish ground.

My late father was born and bred in Yeovil and the old ground was not that far from my grandparents house, I went a few times to watch them, I thought the old Huish wasn't a bad ground.
The ground was in the town and Yeovil had plenty of decent pubs, the downside was the railway station back then, if we caught the train down to Yeovil from Brighton we had to stop at Yeovil junction and this is miles from Yeovil town centre.
Not sure what line Yeovil Pen Mill station is on, but that is nearer town.

I visited the new Huish to watch the Albion on our last visit and was really disappointed with this stadium, it doesn't look any bigger than the old ground and as others have mentioned its a pain to get to.

Some good photos of the old ground on www.ciderspace.co.uk
Cracking ground went there in 87/88 the year Yeovil won The Isthmian Lge attendance was nearly 10k .Incredible crowd at that level.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Will never forget arriving there for a game 2 years ago thinking I'd caught a train to the set of Emmerdale Farm. Walked around for a bit in the middle of nowhere without a clue where to turn, eventually bumped into some yokel local who told me "Taxi? Narr, ye wunt get any taxis around 'errre!". Truly weird place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I wonder I noticed That they have made coach Darren Way interim manager with Terry Skiverton helping again. Would Nathan Jones be interested. We could loan him some young players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wonder I noticed That they have made coach Darren Way interim manager with Terry Skiverton helping again. Would Nathan Jones be interested. We could loan him some young players.

Why would you swap a shot of promotion to the Premier League for the chance of being a number one at a side likely to get relegated out of the league? I'm not sure someone with so little managerial experience would save them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why would you swap a shot of promotion to the Premier League for the chance of being a number one at a side likely to get relegated out of the league? I'm not sure someone with so little managerial experience would save them.

Depends on his ambition if he thinks he can do the job and keep them up. Everybody has to start somewhere and he has a past association with them.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Sadly I'm not sure that anyone with a wealth of managerial experience would save them either.

Yeovil Town are a club with minimal resources, and no money to spend.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That is why I feel it has got to be an old head with contacts like Holloway or a young unknown like Jones with recent contacts at a club.

I certainly think that it will help if the new incumbent has past experience of managing at a club like Yeovil, and ideally a firefighter who has got clubs out of seemingly impossible situations before.

One name that readily springs to mind is Russell Slade, but of course he has moved onward and upward since his Yeovil, and come to that Albion, days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here