Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

*** YB Pro 40 Sussex vs Northants June 16th Arundel ***

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A pints of your foaming ale landlord please......

oh. :blush:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Leesy just explaining that Sussex can't play for a draw.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Why do we play at Arundel and Horsham?

Never seem to win there.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Why do we play at Arundel and Horsham?

Never seem to win there.

You weren't at Horsham this year then?

CLUE: we won the County Championship game in two days against Somerset and then beat Kent in the Pro40.

And you weren't at Arundel last year either?

CLUE: we beat Durham in the County Championship and then beat Northants in the Pro40.

Aside from that, an excellent post...... :thumbsup:

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
Because it's Sussex and not Hove ccc.

Tbf... quite a few teams stick to one ground; one home.

In recent memory we seem to have had a few disasters at Arundel. The defeat to Unicorns, the T20 thrashing by Surrey and now getting slam dunked by Northants.

In the championship we're very good at Arundel/Horsham though. I went to Arundel for the 3rd and 4th day (well, 2nd and 3rd) of the Surrey game, we were only all out for 295 because the wicket had a bit of life in it and we were sent in. It died a death on days 2 and 3 hence why wickets were few and far between for both sides.

Whoever said above that we "never seem to win at Arundel and Horsham" are talking crap, we beat Someset in a day and bit at Horsham just a few weeks ago, guess that slipped your mind!

Overall though, today was just a disaster and perhaps a bit of a wake up call, bit pathetic that Joyce, Wells and Wright couldn't score a single run between them. It seems only 2 players made any effort with the bat and only 3 or 4 made an effort with the ball, we can't win matches with only 5 or 6 players actually trying!

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Tbf... quite a few teams stick to one ground; one home.

In recent memory we seem to have had a few disasters at Arundel. The defeat to Unicorns, the T20 thrashing by Surrey and now getting slam dunked by Northants.

In the championship we're very good at Arundel/Horsham I think though.

Yes a lot of Counties do only have one home ground nowadays and it is much to the detriment of the County Game in my opinion. As someone else has pointed out it is a County Championship and the Team representing the County should play around the County.

I can't complain as both the current Out Grounds are in West Sussex, but I know if I lived in Eastbourne or Hastings (historical Out Grounds) I would be severely pissed off. As an aside I believe Horsham may get the chop next year due to the lack of availability of a 1 day game which would be very sad.

There you are Mr V - is that serious and sober enough for you?

Dancing Sock

Dec 8, 2012
Brighton
Yes a lot of Counties do only have one home ground nowadays and it is much to the detriment of the County Game in my opinion. As someone else has pointed out it is a County Championship and the Team representing the County should play around the County.

I can't complain as both the current Out Grounds are in West Sussex, but I know if I lived in Eastbourne or Hastings (historical Out Grounds) I would be severely pissed off. As an aside I believe Horsham may get the chop next year due to the lack of availability of a 1 day game which would be very sad.

There you are Mr V - is that serious and sober enough for you?

Never realised all 3 were in West Sussex! Tbf, Brighton and Hove + surrounding areas like Lewes, Seaford, Newhaven is probably home to about 20% of the entire county's population, if also add Worthing and it's surrounding areas it goes up to nearly a third, so that's a third of the county all within a reasonable distance from the ground. Horsham and Arundel located Sussex fans are happy as they get 5 days of glorious cricket each year. Just leaves as you said Eastbourne and Hastings whom I do feel for, if you're a hardcore Sussex fan living in somewhere like that you probably would only bother coming out to Hove a few times a season, and because of this be a bit pissed off, as you said.

Places like Crawley don't count as part of Sussex, they're wannabee Londoners. So really Brighton and Worthing plus their surrounding areas could add up to about a half of this lovely county's population, meaning most Sussex people are happy when it comes to supporting their team in terms of distance from the home of cricket.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Never realised all 3 were in West Sussex! Tbf, Brighton and Hove + surrounding areas like Lewes, Seaford, Newhaven is probably home to about 20% of the entire county's population, if also add Worthing and it's surrounding areas it goes up to nearly a third, so that's a third of the county all within a reasonable distance from the ground. Horsham and Arundel located Sussex fans are happy as they get 5 days of glorious cricket each year. Just leaves as you said Eastbourne and Hastings whom I do feel for, if you're a hardcore Sussex fan living in somewhere like that you probably would only bother coming out to Hove a few times a season, and because of this be a bit pissed off, as you said.

Places like Crawley don't count as part of Sussex, they're wannabee Londoners. So really Brighton and Worthing plus their surrounding areas could add up to about a half of this lovely county's population, meaning most Sussex people are happy when it comes to supporting their team in terms of distance from the home of cricket.

I know Sussex have played competitive games all over the county at one time or another. I do remember watching an afternoons cricket at Hastings while on holiday down there. The Saffrons in Eastbourne was also used quite often and historically, County cricket was played at The Manor Ground in Worthing in the '60's. However, the facilities on these grounds needed lots of improvement and a increasingly higher standard of pitches as the game became ever more professional.

A lot of the grounds were owned by the local town councils or the clubs and I think there were complications over who would pay for the improvements and increased groundskeepng costs, given that sometimes there would only be a 3 day game and a one day game once each season. Sussex CCC could not pay to have 4 grounds of county standard maintained year long so things had to give . On paper,Sussex CCC like to play outside of the county ground as a way of increasing interest and bringing on the local cricketers who may aspire to play for the county but financial practicalities limit this to only a few games a year.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Its a right pain in the arse getting to Hove from Bexhill, no direct trains, crap/no parking. And people have the cheek to moan about the Amex travel facilities.

Sussex playing at Hastings (before it became a shopping centre) and Eastbourne was brilliant only a few minutes from the station for both. My granddad look me to my first Sussex game at Eastbourne many years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here