Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yankee stadium? Nsc decides

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Will be working in NYC for the next 2 weeks which coincides with the start of baseball season. Obviously Yankee Stadium is one of the iconic sporting venues of the world. Equally obviously baseball (or rounders) is a load of old wank. I've tried watching it on TV and frankly I'd rather stick red hot needles into my testicles.

Is it worth going to a game one evening to be able to say "I've been to Yankee Stadium" or is that akin to going to the Sydney Opera House when in Oz even though NSC's favourite Kerry Katona is topping the bill?

What do you reckon? Help me decide. Thanks.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
The old Yankee Stadium was pretty iconic -- House that Babe Ruth Built, etc, but the new stadium (opened last year) is, well, a new stadium. I gather it's pretty state-of-the-art, so may be of interest from a Goldstone/Falmer perspective and for comparison sake.

I used to live in NYC for 10 years, so spent many a weekend afternoon there, and the spectacle is worth it IMHO even if you're no baseball fan. So I vote yes. (Beer is probs $10 a go by now, however, so be prepared).
:unclesam:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Better off going to the Shea Stadium... home of the first ever stadium concert by none other than the Beatles. Can also take in a bit of Flushing Meadows next door. Bit out of downtown (in Queens) but worth a visit.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I saw the San Diego Padres play Phoenix at Petco Park last summer in downtown SD, and it was a good night out. The excitement levels from the game itself are just about on a par with cricket, but taking everything into account it was a lot of fun.
As a buttoned up Brit I did feel a bit stupid lumbering around to the Seventh Inning Stretch, or whatever it's called.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Better off going to the Shea Stadium... home of the first ever stadium concert by none other than the Beatles. Can also take in a bit of Flushing Meadows next door. Bit out of downtown (in Queens) but worth a visit.

Er, no, that was knocked down two years ago as well!

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
I went to the old stadium just over 10 years and watched a game (they lost to their hated rivals, the Red Sox). If you can, go to this game, as it was kicking off everywhere, it was great, but any game will do. Like a lot of sports, being there makes a lot of difference. The atmosphere and the occasion get to you more and you get wrapped up in it all.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
When I went to Yankee Stadium, I went by boat. The Yankee Clipper did a return trip to the game from South Street Seaport up the east river. Without doubt the most brilliant journey to any game anywhere ever. If its still operating, make it part of your trip to the game.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Billy, get yourself to Foleys on 33rd St, right next to the Empire State Building next Saturday evening 9th April. I'm celebrating my 50th with a bit of a do in there. Fellow NSC patron Lyndhurst14 will be there also hopefully.

Cheers, Mac.

Billy Mays

Aug 14, 2008
Fruit Cove
Thanks for the invite and I might well join you. I was planning to take a trip to Hartford , CT to spend the weekend with Connecticut BHA (ex-East Grinstead) to celebrate promotion right but if for any reason that doesn't come off then I would love to spend an evening in the company of other Albion fans on what could be a very special night! Cheers.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Billy, get yourself to Foleys on 33rd St, right next to the Empire State Building next Saturday evening 9th April. I'm celebrating my 50th with a bit of a do in there. Fellow NSC patron Lyndhurst14 will be there also hopefully.

Cheers, Mac.

Cracking bar. Sean the owner had a heart attack recently. On the mend though. His old man is a legend. Ask him to show you the mens toilets. It'l make sense when you do!

Oh, and my shirt from the REMF is hanging above the bar.

As far as baseball goes. Don't. Go to the MSG and watch the hockey instead.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
If you don’t like baseball and you’re still in NYC on the 16th head over to Red Bull stadium. Only 30 minutes from midtown and you can watch some good old soccerball for about $25.

Hopefully see you at Foleys next Saturday.

D

Deleted member 18477

yes go! just to see if all americans really are deluded in thinking baseball is a better sport than football (soccer)! maybe were all missing out... and it looks like a brilliant stadium to be fair. agreed with that being there would be better than watching it on tele (atmosphere etc).

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Yes go, I went to Fenway Park for the Red Sox a couple of years ago and it is worth a visit however I think I would soon get bored, but for a 1 off worth the trip if only to see the amount of food and drink they put away during the game it is unbelievable and makes you understand why the US has a weight problem.

Also agree about the ice hockey at Madison Square Gardens much more entertaining as a sporting spectacle and might be easier for tickets.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Cracking bar. Sean the owner had a heart attack recently. On the mend though. His old man is a legend. Ask him to show you the mens toilets. It'l make sense when you do!

Oh, and my shirt from the REMF is hanging above the bar.

As far as baseball goes. Don't. Go to the MSG and watch the hockey instead.

The Ice Hockey at the MSG is a great experience but a trip to Yankee Stadium is worth it. Even if it's only for the first couple of innings which is all I can usually take.

Shaun at Foleys is fine now and has been allowed back in the bar by his Doctor. He's tee total by the way so he needs to start drinking; it's obviously good for you. Anyone in NYC next Saturday is welcome to celebrate with me being a half bloody centurion. And 3 points hopefully.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I'd recommend the MSG experience too, Although i'm planning on catching a baseball game when me & the missus visit next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here