Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xmas Train Alert - Some Windy Weather.....

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Got home ok albeit over 30 minutes late. Will get a whopping £2.40 for delay repay.

Many Brighton trains cancelled, but Southern seem intent to run empty Gatwick Express trains between Gatwick and Victoria (and vice versa). Not sure which brain of Britain called that one.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
So much to comment on...

- Gatwick Express trains are comfier and roomier and less packed-sardine-like than any other train on the Brighton line. Almost a pleasure to travel on.
- It IS the same price as regular Southern services if you're a STH
- If it stopped for the six-deep marauding hordes at East Croydon it'd be there for an hour in the morning while they all attempted to pile on. It'd never get away. There is the odd Gatwick Express that stops there in the evening which is most welcome, but those don't then stop at Gatwick. Which I guess just makes them 'Express'.

It fills my heart with joy and brings a smile to my face when I occasionally get a Gatwick Express in the morning that doesn't stop at East Croydon. I hate that place. The scrum that ensues when a train stops there en route to Victoria drives me nuts.

Selfish I know, but little 'victories' like that now and again make the commute bearable. Just wish I could get it to work and back every day. Shame GE had to get rid of the previous trains when they extended their service.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Do the train companies insure themselves against unforeseen circumstances such as the weather? Just wondered if all the delay repay money comes off their bottom line? Or is that why the tickets tend to go up year on year?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Driver of my 07:06 SCC from Preston Park to Bedford got his retaliation in earlydoors this morning. Went flying through Preston Park about 50mph when he realised a bit too late he really should have stopped. Big braking thing with front half of the train ending up off the front of the platform, ten minute wait, then he sheepishly reversed back to where he should have stopped in the first place. Fair play though, made most of the time up en route while still remembering to stop everywhere else he was supposed to stop :thumbsup:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Do the train companies insure themselves against unforeseen circumstances such as the weather? Just wondered if all the delay repay money comes off their bottom line? Or is that why the tickets tend to go up year on year?

No idea but you can bet your life their not giving you money back out of the goodness of their heart.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It fills my heart with joy and brings a smile to my face when I occasionally get a Gatwick Express in the morning that doesn't stop at East Croydon. I hate that place. The scrum that ensues when a train stops there en route to Victoria drives me nuts.

Selfish I know, but little 'victories' like that now and again make the commute bearable. Just wish I could get it to work and back every day. Shame GE had to get rid of the previous trains when they extended their service.

What about the poor Brightonians that have to endure Croydon for work each day? ;)

East Croydon is good in afternoons. An escape from that hell hole.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Its incredibly complicated and picky to decide who pays for the disruption/compensation. Tickets go up yearly thanks to the government.

In fact, Southern have today announced they arent sticking on their optional 2% increase - BOOOOOOO for Southern who are going to get less money from pass.....oh hang on.

Large tree has hit a train at Bexhill, was going at a slower speed so there isnt a lot of damage, had it been doing faster then their may well have been.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The network is pretty much on the verge of collapse at the moment im afraid. I'm surprised trains haven't been suspended yet.

The PR from leaving people stranded would be too much. Right now it would be better for them to attempt to run a service where possible and try and get people home.

Cant really suspend halfway through a day, though a late start tomorrow will almost certainly now happen.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The network is pretty much on the verge of collapse at the moment im afraid. I'm surprised trains haven't been suspended yet.

The high winds haven't helped much either.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Genuinely hope people are ok and have safe journeys!
Any news or ideas on what's happening tomorrow morning??

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Genuinely hope people are ok and have safe journeys!
Any news or ideas on what's happening tomorrow morning??

Supposed to be going into work in London, might have to WFH

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Had to go into the office today, fine this morning. Been holed up in a pub since 3, got to Victoria at 7.40, bit mad, but got the 19.47, which left at 20.20, and crawling down. Just made it to Three Bridges so a while to go yet.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Had to go into the office today, fine this morning. Been holed up in a pub since 3, got to Victoria at 7.40, bit mad, but got the 19.47, which left at 20.20, and crawling down. Just made it to Three Bridges so a while to go yet.

Looking on SR website and departures from Shoreham all trains seem either severely delayed or cancelled.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No such luck for me! Only working until 1pm so hoping all will be 'normal', whatever that is with southern?

All my team took their laptops home tonight just in case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here