Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xbox or Sony PS4 - which is best?

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
As a side issue, I have an Xbox 360 and haven't bought GTA 5 as I only have a 4gb hard drive and you need 8gb. I believe it is possible to play this on my console if I plug in a 8gb flash drive, as long as it is formatted for xbox 360 is this true? And if so, how do you format it?

Also do the ps4 and Xbox one have to be online? Or can you use them as standalone games consoles still?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
As a side issue, I have an Xbox 360 and haven't bought GTA 5 as I only have a 4gb hard drive and you need 8gb. I believe it is possible to play this on my console if I plug in a 8gb flash drive, as long as it is formatted for xbox 360 is this true? And if so, how do you format it?

Also do the ps4 and Xbox one have to be online? Or can you use them as standalone games consoles still?

The file system is FAT32, you can format a disk via windows explorer (or the command line.)
GTA5 probably writes data to the hard drive as at can be streamed faster from there than straight from the DVD.

EDIT: just found this http://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-360/accessories/usb-flash-drive

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Finally taking the plunge... What's the conclusion from those in the know?

:)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I went PS4 and like it. Mind you, I haven't played extensively on the xbox, so what do I know?

Anyone got any suggestions for a decent platform puzzle? I played The Swapper and absolutely loved it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

I'm not a 'fanboy' of either and both do a good job.

The PS4 performs better than the XOne (see youtube framerate comparisons etc).

If the XOne is already struggling to keep up (power/graphics) in year one, I can imagine results will only get worse for the XOne between now and the next 9 years.

The two things that should answer your original question are:

1: Does either console release exclusives that you must have? (Halo/Forza/The Last of Us/Uncharted etc).
2: If your friends play online, what console are they on?

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Yep worth asking his friends' parents which one they have too as he will probably want to play online with them.

This is the most important consideration since very similar. Consider going 1 generation back since games are cheaper, console cheaper and most friends will be on this version too. Got very cheap bundle from John Lewis online including game most interested in. Probably FIFA, or racing game if like my boys. We decided GTA V was too violent for our 11 and 14 year old but can get an idea from you tube in play videos

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I had an XBox One, then I got a PS4, now I no longer have an XBox One.

True story, each to there own though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The PS4 performs better than the XOne (see youtube framerate comparisons etc).
That's not a fact. The PS4 can have a higher frame rate in some games. There are things that the X1 does better too.

If the XOne is already struggling to keep up (power/graphics) in year one, I can imagine results will only get worse for the XOne between now and the next 9 years.
The opposite is more likely. The X1 has been more difficult for developers to get the most from, due to the unusual way it uses RAM. As they get better at using it, the differences are likely to reduce. Not that you could tell the difference between different resolutions anyway.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That's not a fact. The PS4 can have a higher frame rate in some games. There are things that the X1 does better too.

The opposite is more likely. The X1 has been more difficult for developers to get the most from, due to the unusual way it uses RAM. As they get better at using it, the differences are likely to reduce. Not that you could tell the difference between different resolutions anyway.

Sorry, but I emphatically disagree with all of the above.

It's all numbers, the PS4 numbers are higher.
There's plenty of independent analysis available.

Fact is, if you took out all the hardware, presented it to a techie and asked "which hardware performs better", he'd point to the Sony hardware.
This has been done to death and Youtube'd to death. Have a look!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Is the playstation camera worth getting?

Probably not yet.
Wait for 'Project Morpheus'!!

project_morpheus.jpeg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The PS4 can have a higher frame rate in some games. There are things that the X1 does better too.

Sorry, but I emphatically disagree with all of the above.
So you disagree that the PS4 can have a higher frame rate in some games? You disagree that the X1 has better voice recognition? You disagree that the X1 is better at detecting player movement, for games that use that functionality? So the feedback in the PS4's triggers are better than the X1? No, you're wrong to all of that.

Fact is, if you took out all the hardware, presented it to a techie and asked "which hardware performs better", he'd point to the Sony hardware.
This has been done to death and Youtube'd to death. Have a look!
You don't seem to understand that a console is more than just a graphical unit.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's a pointless debate really, as the fanboys for each console will cream themselves at the relevant numbers.

The important thing, if you are buying for a 12-year-old, is what console his mates have.

And there is the difinitive answer.

I've been an Xbox360 guy since Uni because it was the cheaper console and my 3 housemates had one.

Now I'll probably go PS4 as my mates will.

It's very simple. I've never played the same game on the PS3/Xbox 360 and noticed ANY significant difference. I imagine the same will be said for most PS4/X1 crossovers.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So you disagree that the PS4 can have a higher frame rate in some games? You disagree that the X1 has better voice recognition? You disagree that the X1 is better at detecting player movement, for games that use that functionality? So the feedback in the PS4's triggers are better than the X1? No, you're wrong to all of that.

You don't seem to understand that a console is more than just a graphical unit.

Christ, I don't have the time or willingness to have a full-scale debate on two consoles!
Read a few independent reviews.
If you're a gamer, the PS4 is the better console (for games).

The XOne Kinect might be good/better than the PS Camera, but no one really seems to bother with reviewing that because no one uses it. MS dropped the dead weight.

I personally couldn't really care less either way. :shrug:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
We may be buying one for a 12 year old's birthday, but we have no experience of either or gaming really.
Whichever one we choose, we want it be for the long-term. Please can experienced NSC gamers advise.

Then, any recommendations on games, please? Some of his 11 and 12 year old mates already have Grand Theft Auto 5! But we are aware that it is classified age 18, and that a stack of bodies have slammed its violence.

Thanks in advance.

We haven't moved to the next gen, but we have PS3 and Xbox 360 (and a Wii) and I can speak about games.

My 11yo plays in descending order of obsessiveness...

FIFA (not always the latest, we have from 08 onwards, and sometime he switches to PES) - different versions for each console
MINECRAFT - Xbox
InFAMOUS - Playstation
Skyrim - Xbox (but only because we have the extra DLC)
Any LEGO games - we have all but the most recent Hobbit ones.

FIFA & Minecraft I think are compulsory purchases for this age bracket. The latest InFamous on PS4 looks outstanding. Whatever new Elder Scrolls game (Skyrim is Elder Scrolls V) will be a must when it does appear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here