Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xavi was obsessed with Matt Le Tissier's ability

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Absolutely.

But he had that old fashioned idea that it wasn't all about joining the massive club and chasing the silverware. He was probably the last player of real class to stay with a club where he was happy, where he felt at home and to refuse big money moves.

Good for him, it's something that makes me like him all the more. He was an unbelievable player who would not prostitute himself. He loved Southampton, and would not leave them.

Can you even begin to imagine how much he was loved down there? The Bruno thread brings it into focus, but Le Tissier was on a different level.

Scholes and Giggs come to mind, although they were already at the 'big club' when they started. But I'm sure they could have gone onto bigger ones.

Big fan of Le Tiss, partly because of his loyalty, but also because he comes across as a pretty down-to-earth guy –*I like him as a pundit too. On the pitch, some of the moves he did and the power he got behind some of those shots was immense.

As an aside, who still drinks Labatts? Does it even still exist?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Didn't work hard did he.

All very well looking at clips of his supreme skill which he had in abundance, but he was a lazy languid player who's influence in games came and went. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but he never impressed in an England shirt, and he was a bit work shy.

You look at the likes of Xavi, even Messi and co. and they work their arse off the whole game. Le Tiss was never one of those. At least that is how I remember him, and I did get down to the Dell a fair few times to see him play in my Uni days.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Didn't work hard did he.

All very well looking at clips of his supreme skill which he had in abundance, but he was a lazy languid player who's influence in games came and went. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, but he never impressed in an England shirt, and he was a bit work shy.

You look at the likes of Xavi, even Messi and co. and they work their arse off the whole game. Le Tiss was never one of those. At least that is how I remember him, and I did get down to the Dell a fair few times to see him play in my Uni days.

Interesting points but I can't help but feel this idea of work rate over ability has ment we have missed out. ZZ wasn't famed for his box to box energy or Bergkamp, Matt was a centre forward what do you expect of him other then scoring goals which he did in abundance? He could also take a penalty or two just when we had few who could handle the pressure!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Seem to recall he was seen as a bit of a 'luxury' player. Immensely talented but very much drifted in and out of games.

Certainly the greatest penalty taker in living memory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here