WW2 planes starting to arrive at shoreham

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
:needpics:

battle-of-britain-london-contrails.jpg

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
There are a few genuine 109's still in existence and flying, amazing how few as I believe they were the most produced Fighter Plane in history 30,000 plus!

I thought that there was only one original WWII left and in flying condition. Others come from planes that were bought by Spain Pre war.
?????

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The "109"s are Hispano Buchon's which where built under licence in Spain with Merlin engines, the survivors were all used in the film; Battle of Britain. It is a Douglas Skyraider not a Dauntless. The full list is on the air show website.

I stand corrected...I was watching it come over my house through binoculars so assumed it was a dauntless.

Thanks for pointing it out though. I am extremely grateful

Thanks again

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
There are a few genuine 109's still in existence and flying, amazing how few as I believe they were the most produced Fighter Plane in history 30,000 plus!

The RAF from England shot them down.
All joking aside it's great living in shoreham when the airshow is on. I'm looking forward to the Vulcan bomber you can't miss it,makes hell of a racket. Flew in the unforgettable bombing of the Stanley airfield during argies occupation amazing achievement.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sorry to be an anorak, but they were fitted with local engines made by Hispano Suiza.
They were used in the film 'The battle of Britain'

Anoraknophobia time.

When we saw them at the first Goodwood Revival meeting there was a Spitfire, a Hurricane and a 109, we were looking at them and chatting with the pilots, who told us about the Merlin engines that were fitted to some that were sold to the Spanish, which he then showed us, and we subsequently heard, at that event. I'm sure others had Suiza engines fitted, I can only comment on the one I saw, which regularly performs mock dogfights with the other two. :shrug:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I thought that there was only one original WWII left and in flying condition. Others come from planes that were bought by Spain Pre war.
?????

My understanding is there a few genuine Bf109E/F/G variants around the world which are airworthy. Strange when you think of the dozens and dozens of Spitfires that still fly but as we all know History is written by the Winners!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was up The Adur doing a little lure fishing this arvo, was lovely if a little frightening to see the array of planes, clocked the Me109 and I think I saw two Hurri's and a Spit do a trial flypast. I think I saw the Mitchell bomber come over once then saw it come around again and land, I thought it was going to pancake on Ricardo's car park, very scary, looked close to stalling and VERY low.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was up The Adur doing a little lure fishing this arvo, was lovely if a little frightening to see the array of planes, clocked the Me109 and I think I saw two Hurri's and a Spit do a trial flypast. I think I saw the Mitchell bomber come over once then saw it come around again and land, I thought it was going to pancake on Ricardo's car park, very scary, looked close to stalling and VERY low.

Didn't see Mr T Soprano in his canoe by any chance?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Fishing for what, any luck, and what kind of lures?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fishing for what, any luck, and what kind of lures?

If you are in the know then you will know what I was after and the famous snooty green lure for getting them and , no, I didn't have any luck.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
My understanding is there a few genuine Bf109E/F/G variants around the world which are airworthy. Strange when you think of the dozens and dozens of Spitfires that still fly but as we all know History is written by the Winners!
Not sure how many but it is not a lot. One was at RIAT in 2010 Omnia 461.jpgand I am confident that was the only one I have ever seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here