Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WTF is happening to Brighton?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
They've shown that bobbies on the beat don't reduce crime.

Probably more to do with growing inequality and poverty under a Tory government .

We don`t have a Tory Government , just as we did not have a labour government under B Liar

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My lads live in Bristol but never seem to see any violence. Maybe they are just lucky

Bristol? i'm sure has worse problems than Brighton,luck i'd say

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Was talking to my Mum and Dad yesterday about Brighton past, both are in their early 80's.

They were commenting on various things including the Aquarium dance hall and the Regent dance hall, by all accounts the Regent was a bit classier whereas the Aquarium had some brutal fights every weekend, then they started talking about the razor gangs .....

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Care to clarify what you consider to be a Tory Government then?

I will when you clarify B Liars improvement of the lives of the working classes he failed to ban fox hunting lacked the back bone, he banned hare coursing instead, a working mans sport

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This. It's an area that attracts a large and transient movement of people. I don't feel unsafe here but like any other major urban area folk need to be wary of threats.

Also we don't get to hear much of all the nice stories that come out of this great town.

And old Police superintendent told me it was worse in the 70s

Absolutely spot on.

Far more violence in the 60's, 70's and 80's, you just get to hear about it far more these days. As a bunch of fellas on a night out in Brighton you half expected to end up in some kind of fracas on a Friday or Saturday night, be it with guys from another suburb or a load of out of townies. Football, just read the stories for yourself, but this also spilled over into nights out. Even music gigs had an air of expectation about them, a mod gig might attract skins waiting outside and vice versa, youth culture and those in their mid twenties had a far tougher leisure time than young people today.

Man up for gods' sake! :p

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Absolutely spot on.

Far more violence in the 60's, 70's and 80's, you just get to hear about it far more these days. As a bunch of fellas on a night out in Brighton you half expected to end up in some kind of fracas on a Friday or Saturday night, be it with guys from another suburb or a load of out of townies. Football, just read the stories for yourself, but this also spilled over into nights out. Even music gigs had an air of expectation about them, a mod gig might attract skins waiting outside and vice versa, youth culture and those in their mid twenties had a far tougher leisure time than young people today.

Man up for gods' sake! :p

Correct.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
just had a nice little break in Valencia. very mellow place. whenever we ordered beers they came in half pint glasses. in the UK we'd be ordering pints. all in the pacing. Brits can't seem to avoid binge drinking and fighting

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
just had a nice little break in Valencia. very mellow place. whenever we ordered beers they came in half pint glasses. in the UK we'd be ordering pints. all in the pacing. Brits can't seem to avoid binge drinking and fighting

I guess your not going to Bavaria any-time soon ........

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
From what I understand there's a fair amount of drug crime which goes on, e.g. turf war stuff. Brighton's quite a good spot for rivals to meet up too, especially those based in London.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My little twon was the one that piloted cctv. Must have been at least 15 years ago. Handwringers griped about intrusion of privacy. But the general hoo ha on Friday and Saturday nights, with running battles in the streets just . . . vanished. The last two rough house pubs (Hole in the Wall, and the Swan) cleaned up their act (one is no longer a pub). As PPF said, CCTV . . . .

Agree also with those who say Brighton was worse in the 60s and 70s. I occasionally took a bus home from Churchill Square on a Saturday night when I was a teenager. It was a madhouse on wheels.

The media will always find a horror story to emote about. Every single time a certain type of crime happens it is on the box for days. Perspective is the key :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
From what I understand there's a fair amount of drug crime which goes on, e.g. turf war stuff. Brighton's quite a good spot for rivals to meet up too, especially those based in London.

Turf war, in Brighton? Really?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I moved down from North London a year ago.

Brighton is the most beautiful, relaxed, easy-going city in the country. You couldn't pay me any money to move back and live/work in London. If you think it's bad here.. give Tottenham a go, or any number of dives south of the river. No thanks.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They've shown that bobbies on the beat don't reduce crime.

Probably more to do with growing inequality and poverty under a Tory government .

More likely due to liberal wishy-washy nonsense where kids learnt that they could get away with virtually anything whilst they were young so is it any surprise when similar behavior carries on into later life?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here