Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSU, Guy that collapsed,

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I saw quite a few stewards and medical staff helping someone after the final whistle, took about 15/20 minutes until they moved him/her.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really was a horrible end to the match seeing this and I pray the guy is OK. Really sad. Well done to Rob [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] for helping the guy - amazing mate.

If anyone knows this guy or the family please update us if you can. :(

Thinking of you fellow BHA fan.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Really was a horrible end to the match seeing this and I pray the guy is OK. Really sad. Well done to Rob [MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] for helping the guy - amazing mate.

If anyone knows this guy or the family please update us if you can. :(

Thinking of you fellow BHA fan.

Seemed to take ages for any fist aid to arrive. Don't any of our stewards carry radios?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Seemed to take ages for any fist aid to arrive. Don't any of our stewards carry radios?

Guy on the coach said this too. Apparently there's an emergency phone just in the concourse. Had a pm from someone saying the guy came round and hopefully is OK - but would be nice for someone to confirm 100%. Really nasty incident that. Also there was a pic and some flowers on the floor at the front of block I a few games ago - assume this was for an I blocker who sadley passed.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
Didn't see the pic or flowers but how very sad if true.
Glad you had a pm and all seems ok, been really concerned for the guy all night.

Last edited:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
This was right behind me, hope the guys ok. Felt bad for the poor steward who came over first, he was doing his best but clearly not a first aider and had no radio. Tried to flag down the big steward who sits up above WSU, but he was more interested in watching the pitch than other stewards. My dad had to run over to another steward in the end, one who was armed with a radio and managed to get the attention of the overseer steward.

Just seems a bit daft that not everyone is given a radio to be honest. Hope the guy's alright and hope the club look at how stewards could have responded better/quicker. Also huge props to the fan who appeared and gave first aid a good 5 minutes before St. Johns made it up.

Chrisma

Chrrisstoophher
Jan 17, 2011
I was about 3 rows behind and heard a little kid scream for help so asked what had happened but they were getting very distressed so I went to get the attention of the steward. He came over and then tried to get the attention of other stewards. I have not had any First Aid training but I stayed for a bit to help ask people to clear the area with a couple of others and luckily someone with some medical knowledge ran over, throwing his gloves and scarf off on the way. I was there for about 3-4 mins and saw no St John’s although there were about 5 of them looking up from the North West corner of the pitch.
Eventually I decided that I was probably not able to help anymore and would be better if I moved away. The images have stayed with me all night and really hope the person is Ok. Not sure if it was an adult or a child as there was quite a few young children next to the wall.
This was my first time in the I block of the West stand upper and I must admit that mine, and a couple of others, first thought when the kid screamed was that one of the other kids was on the wall or had gone over the side wall. The wall is about 5 foot high on the stand side but it is a shear drop on the other side. I think the club need to have a look at that and also make sure medical staff are in all tiers, not just ground level.
If anyone on NSC knows that family involved then please send them mine and Sons very best wishes, I just wish I could have done more.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
I was about 3 rows behind and heard a little kid scream for help so asked what had happened but they were getting very distressed so I went to get the attention of the steward. He came over and then tried to get the attention of other stewards. I have not had any First Aid training but I stayed for a bit to help ask people to clear the area with a couple of others and luckily someone with some medical knowledge ran over, throwing his gloves and scarf off on the way. I was there for about 3-4 mins and saw no St John’s although there were about 5 of them looking up from the North West corner of the pitch.
Eventually I decided that I was probably not able to help anymore and would be better if I moved away. The images have stayed with me all night and really hope the person is Ok. Not sure if it was an adult or a child as there was quite a few young children next to the wall.
This was my first time in the I block of the West stand upper and I must admit that mine, and a couple of others, first thought when the kid screamed was that one of the other kids was on the wall or had gone over the side wall. The wall is about 5 foot high on the stand side but it is a shear drop on the other side. I think the club need to have a look at that and also make sure medical staff are in all tiers, not just ground level.
If anyone on NSC knows that family involved then please send them mine and Sons very best wishes, I just wish I could have done more.

I also wish i could of done more, am deffinatly going to get myself on a first-aid course. I was stood at the front of I clapping the team off when the girl next to me screamed, im not sure if it was her father or not, there is a family in that corner. it was all happening in front of me and i had no knowleged of what to do. i just tried to calm the girl down whilst someone rushed over and put him in the recover postion. Would really like someone to let us know he is ok.

AgerBomb22

Jun 2, 2011
Chi Town/Burgess Hill
I know the steward who was on the scene first, and this is what he said to me:

"i saw him go, the girl screamed and her mum called for help, everyone was in the way i was jumping down rows said to my other steward call paramedics and dont remember much from then on" "i was told to get a drink as i was so hyped on adrenaline after paramedics were in control"

He has just told me he hasn't heard any news on the person concerned but he thinks they will be ok!

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
I know the steward who was on the scene first, and this is what he said to me:

"i saw him go, the girl screamed and her mum called for help, everyone was in the way i was jumping down rows said to my other steward call paramedics and dont remember much from then on" "i was told to get a drink as i was so hyped on adrenaline after paramedics were in control"

He has just told me he hasn't heard any news on the person concerned but he thinks they will be ok!

So from what the steward has said and the PM sheebo has recieved things are sounding positive.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Well done to the fan in the BHA shirt who rushed to assist the person. Still have a picture in my head of him throwing his scarf and gloves behind him as he ran. Looked like they were going over the front of the stand - hope he got them back but the least of our concerns at the time. Glad to see things appear positive now.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well done to the fan in the BHA shirt who rushed to assist the person. Still have a picture in my head of him throwing his scarf and gloves behind him as he ran. Looked like they were going over the front of the stand - hope he got them back but the least of our concerns at the time. Glad to see things appear positive now.

That was the legendary Rob 'supaseagull' on here who will post on the thread soon i'm sure as he deserves the praise he is getting. Luckily I pointed out to him what had happened as he was clapping the team off - had no idea he was a first aider though! He actually threw the scarf and hat at his Mum so sure they're safe! From what he said he doesn't know anything further on the guys situation. [MENTION=20807]hoyci[/MENTION] do you know for a fact all is fine? Well done to those who helped :clap:

I also wish i could of done more, am deffinatly going to get myself on a first-aid course......

I first undertook some first aid training in the early 70's after finding myself in a situation where I really didn't know what to do when someone had been shot. Personally, I've found it really worthwhile and useful (for others that is).

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park

All that was missing was a superman t-shirt from him, he was the guy that placed him in the recovery postion, BIG kudos to him.He certainly didnt hang about. Top bloke.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
I did a First Aid course a few years ago at the Red Cross round the back of Homebase in Hove (St Joseph's Close).

The Red Cross branch is still there so I am sure they still run the courses in Unit 1 at the far end. Need to update mine TBH.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Any news on the guy who collapsed yet? I won't divulge his name but he was an absolute star for keeping his sense of humour whilst we got him into the recovery position.

Thanks for the nice comments above - feel quite humbled but the main thing for me is that the chap is well so if anyone has any info then please let me know - by PM if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using the power of Greyskull

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here