Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WSL numbers out - are YOU excited?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I didn't see the same thread about the email about the mens squad numbers :shrug:

Because 99%+ of us are on the club mailing list due to to an interest in the men's team - and a decent number would be interested in men's squad numbers.

Whereas, I imagine about 40 fans on the club's database are interested in women's shirt numbers - and half of them are in the frigging squad.

Similarly, I don't complain about getting men's ticket info, but get annoyed with click-bait email marketing like this:

WSL2.png

Not a dislike of women. Not a dislike of women's football. A dislike of the club's communication on the subject.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Frivolous thread? It's literally about frivolous emails from the club.

Did you actually read the thread before getting on that high horse of yours? There are approximately 3 sexist posts in this entire thread.

I am beginning to feel sorry for dear old [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION], it's quite clear his beef is with these pointless emails rather than women's football.

Why are the emails frivolous/pointless?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Because 99%+ of us are on the club mailing list due to to an interest in the men's team - and a decent number would be interested in men's squad numbers.

Whereas, I imagine about 40 fans on the club's database are interested in women's shirt numbers - and half of them are in the frigging squad.

Similarly, I don't complain about getting men's ticket info, but get annoyed with click-bait email marketing like this:

View attachment 114813

Not a dislike of women. Not a dislike of women's football. A dislike of the club's communication on the subject.

How else should the club get information about the women's team out and try and increase their support? According to you by ignoring all the existing Brighton fans focusing only on those who already care?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How else should the club get information about the women's team out and try and increase their support? According to you by ignoring all the existing Brighton fans focusing only on those who already care?

Come on, we’ve done this now.

A: Thoughtful, carefully targeted emails. Not frivolous shit and trick emails.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I thought we'd done this too, yet here's another thread moaning about it. The club wants to give high - profile marketing to the women's team. Many of us support this approach, perhaps time to accept this and move on?

YOU bounced this thread this evening, EIGHT hours after my last contribution on the subject.

I think you want to wind your neck in.

Men can get so emotional at times. That time of the week?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Careful mate you'll soon have the NSC Liberal elite after you.....

I might pop along to one of these games. Do you know if the 1901 areas are open for women’s games?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Laura Rafferty :love:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
As one who's coached, managed and sponsored a women's amateur team over here for 4 years, it would be good to see that women's game grow as a whole, and also for the Albion women to have a better season than last. I enjoyed watching the WWC and would certainly go and see the Albion Women play if I was based a bit closer. It's excellent that girls have some new sporting idols that they can look up to who are positive role models for a healthy lifestyle and who play the game, for the most part, in the right spirit.

Nevertheless, the Albion would do well to listen to their spectator base with regards to the viewpoints on the transparency of communication. We've been very happy to adopt slogans like 'Together' and 'Premier League Ready' in recent seasons, so 'feedback is the breakfast of champions' is probably applicable here, however much it might go against the current narrative. Fair criticism is always valuable.

It's easy to see from the thread that emails considered insignificant regarding the women's team aren't appreciated or well received by a significant number of supporters. Albion Women are highly unlikely to gain many new fans that way, but rather it's likely to erode existing goodwill for the women's game, polarise viewpoints and foster resentment.

Trying to force interest in a supporter base where there has generally been little will be counterproductive and detrimental to the desire to be taken seriously. If that seems harsh, a true picture of the interest levels can be seen in the weekly turnstile numbers in the WSL.

Regardless of opt-out options from emails, women’s football and specifically the Albion Women will 'stand or fall' on attendances.

Shirt numbers really don't matter.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is great. All these blokes opting out of women's news might mean an end to these frivolous, boring, nouveau-sexist threads
Frivolous? I am sure the lady OP is impressed by that comment. Some comments have revealed sexism but it is not sexist to not be interested in something.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Laura Rafferty :love:

Glad it's not just me!

I get the impression Emily Simpkins is their choice for social events - she joined Jahanbakhsh, Bernardo and another female player (I'm still not sure who she was, she must be one of the ones on the site with no picture) at my workplace for a general meet and greet before the season kicked off. She made a big impression, on me at least. :love:

Also, a shoutout for Ellie Brazil too. :love:

I’ve genuinely not a big fan of the Barber regime for stuff like ignoring long-standing fans on flasks (a ruse to make us buy their stuff) and other cheese pairing nonsense to grind an extra penny out of all of us.

But the strong promotion of the women’s game is one of the excellent things they do. The good it does in attracting a new generation of fans is surely outweighed by the near zero inconvenience of clicking past an unwanted email

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here