[Albion] Wrong Team Choice

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Sanchez - had another poor game
Veltman - cannot deliver a cross
Dunk - no looked himself since returning
March - average championship player. Needed to kick on and hasn’t. No PL quality
Gross - to much pace
Biss - he’s not interested anymore
Alexis - obe too many touches
Maupay - works so hard and gets no service. I’d have lost the plot by now.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Adam Webster is a massive miss to how we play. It’s a shame he can’t get a real run of games.
Dunk is fine in middle of a 3 but in the left he has to check into his right every time to play a decent pass. When webster is on the right he can stride through the midfield especially if teams get tight to Lampety or double up on him.
I for ok with the Dan burn sale at the time but the left sided CB is an issue and the club need to find a bloody good one in the summer.

Bar that I think if your going to press sides like spurs and Liverpool the other day you have to have the mobility in CM and pace.
Moder off a striker offers presence as well. Think some of they players need to be taken out the firing line for a minute as well.

Button

Veltman
Dunk
Webster

Lampety
Muwepu
Bissouma
Cucurella

Moder
McAllister
Mupaay

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Adam Webster is a massive miss to how we play. It’s a shame he can’t get a real run of games.
Dunk is fine in middle of a 3 but in the left he has to check into his right every time to play a decent pass. When webster is on the right he can stride through the midfield especially if teams get tight to Lampety or double up on him.
I for ok with the Dan burn sale at the time but the left sided CB is an issue and the club need to find a bloody good one in the summer.

Bar that I think if your going to press sides like spurs and Liverpool the other day you have to have the mobility in CM and pace.
Moder off a striker offers presence as well. Think some of they players need to be taken out the firing line for a minute as well.

Button

Veltman
Dunk
Webster

Lampety
Muwepu
Bissouma
Cucurella

Moder
McAllister
Mupaay

Finger on the transfer pulse I see!

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Considering that Webster is the only definite first choice missing it looks so bleak.

There does need to be a massive clear out post season but I doubt it will happen.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Button

Veltman
Dunk
Webster

Lampety
Muwepu
Bissouma
Cucurella

Moder
McAllister
Mupaay

Button isn't a Brighton player and you have spelt four other players' names incorrectly.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It wasn’t a great looking starting line up was it?

If he’s fit, which I assume he is, Welbeck should start every game. I don’t know what Moder has done wrong recently - is he tired? And I fear for us every game that Duffy and Gross start in.

Also a shame Sarmiento and or Mwepu didn’t get a few minutes. I thought it was pointless bringing Lamptey on.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I think Potter has been found out, he has done brilliant to get us where we are probably got the squad outplaying it’s actual ability but it is obvious it isn’t working and there is no plan b. At least under Chris it might have been dull but he knew how to grind out a draw. We have no pace, no width (wing backs aren’t the answer), no creativity and no way to change the pace of the game. I didn’t think Spurs were even that good tonight.

Tonight on the 75th minute would have been ideal to have played a couple of youngsters on as subs - Sacramento and Caicedio (probably spelt wrong). He need to start moving the team forward, Pascal does still look class on the ball but is no longer the player we had 3-4 years ago, Solly doesn’t have the confidence to be a premier league winger, Shane is a top class championship player (shouldn’t have sold Dan), Aaron needs to go as he ain’t doing much at Middlesbrough. On the positives we have one of the worlds top wonder kids arriving in Koslowski, as well as 15+loans to come back

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
I think its more about the style the tippy tappy passes at the back are so predictable Burnley shows us how easy it is to close down, then a lump it forward 50/50 ball. We got caught out time and time again.

I also wonder what Danny wonder boy Wellbeck needs to do to start a game. Played on the front foot MOM by a million miles tonight.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
What has happened to the Potter that used to change formations after 20 mins if things were not working. He seems to have forgotten what worked for him. He changed to two central defenders against Spurs in the cup tie, it didn’t work and we got a hiding. He has played every game since with the same and we have been dreadful. Veltman is great in a back three but awful in a two. Lamptey and Cucurella are wing backs not full backs. We are exposed all over the place with two at the back. Somebody said to me he thinks Potter is trying to get the sack. To not see what’s happening in front of him and not go back to what worked seems like he has lost the plot. Having that new defensive coach in the dugout with him has worked a treat we haven’t won since he got there and have conceded more goals than the rest of the season. But the real problem is 13 points from 1st five games and 20 points from from the next 24 games. Take out the first 5 games and any manager would have been sacked by now. I am not necessarily saying that I want him sacked but if you ask me if we will beat Norwich and turn the corner then I wouldn’t put a quid on it. What is it now since he arrived 53 home games and only 12 won and some of them with no crowds during covid which makes a mockery of Paul Barber blaming the fans for not supporting the side. Give the fans something to cheer and bring back a match day experience and perhaps fans will get their mojo back. We don’t even get the bands before the game anymore. People drinking outside during covid is better than going from packed trains straight onto a concourse full of fans. Well that’s my view on things. Got it off my chest and As Micky used to say “Keep the faith”.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The greatest strength of the squad is its biggest weakness.

When the going is good it's very good because they are all similar.
They are interchangeable with no serious drop off in quality.

When things are not so good the fact they're all similar makes the whole operation just an exercise in deckchair attending on the Titanic.

Unfortunately the recruitment plan is suggesting that's not going to change anytime soon.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
What has happened to the Potter that used to change formations after 20 mins if things were not working. He seems to have forgotten what worked for him. He changed to two central defenders against Spurs in the cup tie, it didn’t work and we got a hiding. He has played every game since with the same and we have been dreadful. Veltman is great in a back three but awful in a two. Lamptey and Cucurella are wing backs not full backs. We are exposed all over the place with two at the back. Somebody said to me he thinks Potter is trying to get the sack. To not see what’s happening in front of him and not go back to what worked seems like he has lost the plot. Having that new defensive coach in the dugout with him has worked a treat we haven’t won since he got there and have conceded more goals than the rest of the season. But the real problem is 13 points from 1st five games and 20 points from from the next 24 games. Take out the first 5 games and any manager would have been sacked by now. I am not necessarily saying that I want him sacked but if you ask me if we will beat Norwich and turn the corner then I wouldn’t put a quid on it. What is it now since he arrived 53 home games and only 12 won and some of them with no crowds during covid which makes a mockery of Paul Barber blaming the fans for not supporting the side. Give the fans something to cheer and bring back a match day experience and perhaps fans will get their mojo back. We don’t even get the bands before the game anymore. People drinking outside during covid is better than going from packed trains straight onto a concourse full of fans. Well that’s my view on things. Got it off my chest and As Micky used to say “Keep the faith”.

Just seen this on another thread so Maybe just Maybe the match day experience may be improved according to Paul Barbers program notes yesterday.

Contrary to social media speculation, these plans do not include a second tier of seating in the North Stand – as nice as this would be, it isn’t physically possible! And neither do our plans include a new hospitality lounge above the current North Stand seating.

We will be turning our attention back to our plans to further improve matchday facilities for fans at the Amex.

Instead, our focus will be on creating better facilities for all fans in the stadium’s external areas to include a more varied food and drink offering, covered space, facilities for both pre-match and post-match entertainment, and external toilets – all designed to encourage earlier arrival at the stadium and later departures which, in turn, should help smooth congestion before and after matches.

Let’s hope we are not in the championship by then.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Webster needs to go back in when fit, and the centre midfield needs some energy. Last night Gross spent most of the game in a defensive mid position which does not suit him, Biss is half the player he was last season, and MacAllister's good form we saw earlier the season has vanished. Shame is I see no immediate fix, Mwepu & Alzate to start maybe? Big overhaul of the squad needed in the summer as too many players are now just coasting or have patchy form/quality at best.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The greatest strength of the squad is its biggest weakness.

When the going is good it's very good because they are all similar.
They are interchangeable with no serious drop off in quality.

When things are not so good the fact they're all similar makes the whole operation just an exercise in deckchair attending on the Titanic.

Unfortunately the recruitment plan is suggesting that's not going to change anytime soon.

I agree. Look at the sides above us, maybe only by a point or two, they have players that if they're playing absolute toilet, they can produce a goal from somewhere. Up the road they have Gallagher / Zaha, Wolves have Neves / Jiminez, West Ham have Bowen, Fornals, Benrahma, Southampton Ward-Prowse, Brija, Villa have Matty Cash :)p). Anyway, we seem to need to be in a collective groove across the side to get something. We occasionally have had an Izquierdo in the side that would do just that, magic a goal from nowhere.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
From the start tonight.

Slow start and the tempo only picks up when we are behind and chasing the game.

Subs too late as well.

We can all see it every game lately, why can’t the Coaching staff. I’m truly baffled 😕

Wd chased the game ??. Maybe if we actually stopped faffing it around at the back

Stumpy Tim

Webster needs to go back in when fit, and the centre midfield needs some energy. Last night Gross spent most of the game in a defensive mid position which does not suit him, Biss is half the player he was last season, and MacAllister's good form we saw earlier the season has vanished. Shame is I see no immediate fix, Mwepu & Alzate to start maybe? Big overhaul of the squad needed in the summer as too many players are now just coasting or have patchy form/quality at best.

Harsh on MacAllister as he was one of the few players who looked like he wanted to do anything last night. However he has looked at his best in the more defensive role, which is why he's been pushed further forward again.

Potter may be someone not afraid to change tactics now and again, but he's extremely stubborn in other areas. As has been said, he seems to love 4 at the back which has been a disaster for us recently. When he does shift to a 3 he inexplicably puts Cucurella in the back 3. He dropped MacAllister for months for no real reason, he won't play Caicedo who will now to go and be man of the match against Brazil, he plays Lamptey up-front.

Here's an idea Potter. 3-5-2 with Cucurella and Lamptey as wing backs. Try that

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Other than Webster and a fully fit Lallana, that was arguably our strongest squad (albiet with Lamptey as a sub), thats the worrying thing

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Other than Webster and a fully fit Lallana, that was arguably our strongest squad (albiet with Lamptey as a sub), thats the worrying thing

Sadly we can’t rely on Webster and Lallana. Both are too injury prone to give us a settled side.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Big overhaul needed for the Norwich game........team selection tonight was shocking.

Bring in Sarmiento, Caicedo , Mwepu and one or two others

Sarmiento, Caicedo, and Mwepu in the same team? No! two of them have next to no Premier League experience whatsoever, and the other is only just back from a lengthy injury absence.

I don't think it would have made any difference who played last night, the players confidence has been shot to pieces, and the game was lost almost from the outset.

If l were to make a change l might be tempted to give Sanchez a rest, he really is worrying me at the momernt.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
We seem to have hot to a position where all the confidence has drained out of the players. Obviously our poor run is a major factor in that but I'm disappointed that GP with his interpersonal skills can't deal with that.

Clearly we have got some major decisions wrong. Letting BDB go was in hindsight a bad error by someone. Webster out has curtailed our options at the back so we are forced into a back four which in turn means Lamptey isn't first pick. In turn the back 4 are made jittery with Sanchez having a big dip in form.

If we can get a result against Norwich I would be tempted to use the rest of the season to bed in some of the younger squad players in preparation for next season.

I like others can't understand why Moder is no longer a first choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here