Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Writing a top notch CV - (Off Topic)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think they key part in your specific example is the youth coaching, as this demonstrates an additional skillset(s) you have and makes you stand out slightly more. If you'd just put just "Interests: Sport, particularly cricket and golf, gardening and DIY. " then I can't see that it'd add any value to your CV.

Correct, additional skillset and should be highlighted as such.

Dec 29, 2011
Thanks for the replies everyone, especially those who spent a lot of time curating their replies - the wisdom of the NSC mind bank strikes again. I'll take it on board and hopefully produce a good CV which will get me a decent job. No doubt there will be an interview skills thread sometime in the near future :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, very off topic but I know there is a huge wealth of knowledge of NSC which can be tapped into for some very useful tips. Having graduated a few years ago I'm now looking for my first 'proper' job. I've been reading up on CV creation and some hints and tips and was wondering what people thought makes a good CV.

Here are some questions I had, any answers would be greatly appreciated:
  • What tense/person makes a better CV, would you use passive voice? Or just short bullet point sentences with no real structure.
  • Should I include a personal website even if my job application is in a completely unrelated field (e.g. banking, FS, management)
  • What are the biggest mistakes you see in CVs / what puts you off the most if you read it in a CV.
  • Are there any 'hidden secrets' to a great CV? I remember reading on NSC recently a 'thank you' note after interviews is a good idea - this is something I never thought about prior to reading it on NSC.

Any info or anecdotes would be welcomed and I'm willing to dish out up to one thumbs up per post for posts that are helpful. You can't say fairer than that. :clap2:

1. Always use the third person, lazy recruitment agents will then pass it off as their own precis of you
2. Don't tell them your hobbies Pike, nobody's interested
3. Run CV through spell checker always
4. Keep it short

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here