Writing a CV

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Sure this has been done to death on here, but has anyone got any good, first hand tips on how to structure a CV?

Trying to update mine at the moment but struggling to order it in a way that I think looks decent. Would appreciate anybody with any suggestions, or indeed any managers/employers that have tips on certain styles they prefer when glancing at them.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In no particular order...

1. Write it in the third-person e.g. 'Mr/Ms X did this' rather than 'I did this' (makes it easier for a recruitment agent to send it direct to potential employer)

2. Have a summary sheet as Page 1, listing your name, age, qualifications, dates and names of employers.

3. Don't bang on at length about your hobbies unless they could be construed as applicable to the job you are applying for.

4. Run CV through a spell-checker before you submit it. Bad spelling will always look rubbish.

5. If there's any lengthy employment gaps, add a seperate entry saying what you were doing for that period.

6. Keep the CV to about three pages max. Even if your name's not Max.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
How I always do mine. And I'd never write in third person, but that's personal preference.

Info about me
Introduction (including relevance to position I'm applying for)
List of jobs (most recent first)
Skills / knowledge / experience
Education
Other.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Keep to no more than two sides. Only have last two jobs in details, others in summary. Education history not that relevant. Qualifications in summary. Say something about yourself and what you like but think how you can use it to demonstrate a good quality in interview. e.g I support Brighton (in interview this really shows my loyalty!).

Don't lie. Exageration is fine, but don't lie.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How I always do mine.

Info about me
Introduction (including relevance to position I'm applying for)
List of jobs (most recent first)
Skills / knowledge / experience
Education
Other.

How you structure the order of pages is pretty important. Need to have the big summary on page one and then make it easy on subsequent pages for the potential employer to drill down for more details.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If you are young, put your age, if you are old, don't because you don't have to.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Start with your latest job and don't go into too much detail about what you did, just job title and very basic outline, they will ask about details in the interview

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you are young, put your age, if you are old, don't because you don't have to.

Good point, well made. If you're old, or you think your age might work against you, just leave it off and don't put the year you did your exams or went to Uni or give them as little clue as to your age as possible. Then you stand the best chance of being judged on your merits.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Cheers for the advice thus far chaps, although regarding my age, as I am quite young, would it not be better to not put it for fear of being seen as inexperienced or (potentially) immature? How 'cruel' are employers with regards to things like this?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
1. Write it in the third-person e.g. 'Mr/Ms X did this' rather than 'I did this' (makes it easier for a recruitment agent to send it direct to potential employer)

Really? I've never done that, the CV is about me and I have written it, writing it in the third person seems a bit odd.

My advice would be, make sure it is no longer than 2 sides of A4. The structure I have gone for is:

Name/Contact details

Personal summary (one paragraph)

Key skills (simple comma separated)

Employment history (a paragraph or so on each, more detail on the most recent)

Education/qualifications (most important and high level first)

Hobbies/Interests (keep it brief)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Cheers for the advice thus far chaps, although regarding my age, as I am quite young, would it not be better to not put it for fear of being seen as inexperienced or (potentially) immature? How 'cruel' are employers with regards to things like this?

Depends on the role. I see young people as a good thing for certain jobs, less so if they are roles with a lot of responsbility though.

Young people tend to be labelled as less responsibility but easier to mould. Old people the opposite. So it really depends what they want from the role and whether young fits this or not.

Are you able to say what type of roles you are looking for?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Really? I've never done that, the CV is about me and I have written it, writing it in the third person seems a bit odd.

Not for me, I've been doing contract IT work for high on a quarter of a century, need to impress a new potential employer at least once a year and would never dream of writing my CV any other way than in the third person. The recuitment agency wants the potential employer to think they are on the ball and are forwarding their analysis of a potential employee. They're bluffing. If you write it in the third-person, they will 99 times out of 100 forward your words unedited. Believe it.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Depends on the role. I see young people as a good thing for certain jobs, less so if they are roles with a lot of responsbility though.

Young people tend to be labelled as less responsibility but easier to mould. Old people the opposite. So it really depends what they want from the role and whether young fits this or not.

Are you able to say what type of roles you are looking for?

The specific job in question is advertised as 'Junior Marketer' so they are looking for a young worker, but I'm only 18 and not entirely sure how 'junior' they're thinking! I've read the job description in detail and I wonder whether my experience is suitable, hence the worries at putting my age; whereas I feel if I don't I can manipulate my experience in employment a little better to strengthen my case.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I did my last cv by skills. So, listed what skills I had e.g stakeholder engagement, project management, then gave examples of where I'd done it well. Included my job history at the end. It's what your skills are that are of most interest. Also, when sending it for a specific job, call the company first, ask more about the skills required and tailor your cv accordingly and send the same day referencing the earlier call. Tried and tested method. Makes you stand out and works a treat.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The specific job in question is advertised as 'Junior Marketer' so they are looking for a young worker, but I'm only 18 and not entirely sure how 'junior' they're thinking! I've read the job description in detail and I wonder whether my experience is suitable, hence the worries at putting my age; whereas I feel if I don't I can manipulate my experience in employment a little better to strengthen my case.

Tough call. If you feel you can come across well in interview and not showing your age will get you more a chance of an interview then exclude it. But don't lie about your age if asked as that will trip you up for sure.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Just sell yourself mate. Do some research about the company online. And big up what employers refer to as soft skills. That you're a hard worker, punctual and dedicated. Never underestimate how much emloyers value those things.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Don't put your date of birth on there.

If you include you address, full name, date of birth, unscrupulous people can use those details for identity theft. You need to include your name and address, obviously, so leave out your date of birth.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Tough call. If you feel you can come across well in interview and not showing your age will get you more a chance of an interview then exclude it. But don't lie about your age if asked as that will trip you up for sure.

Think I'll exclude it, thanks for your help! Definitely wouldn't lie about anything, let alone my age!

Just sell yourself mate. Do some research about the company online. And big up what employers refer to as soft skills. That you're a hard worker, punctual and dedicated. Never underestimate how much emloyers value those things.

Yeah I've always researched potential employers before interviews and it's always worked well. I quite like the idea about phoning up beforehand too, very clever. Will definitely be doing that.

Mr C Gull

Feb 1, 2011
Souwf London
I'd say the order should be dependent on how much work experience you have, what qualifications you have and what your best selling points are.

If you are applying for a first 'proper' job but you only have a paper round for experience but have decent GCSE's, A-Levels or whatever else then these should definitely feature more prominently than a weeks work experience at the local corner shop. If you are grades aren’t so good and you have relevant work experience then the reverse is true.

Generally speaking the older you get and the more work experience you gain the less prominent the qualifications become on a CV (unless its a highly regulated/academic role)

Agree keep it to two sides max, dont expand on any jobs too much, just a few relevant points which you can talk about in the interview and don't bother listing hobbies, scout badges etc- no employer really cares.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports