Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wrexham

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Really interesting posts so far (more than I thought there would be) but I'm still curious to know if anyone still "owns" a bit of the ground. As the era concerned is now (like many of us!) fading fast into the semi-distant past, it may well be that things have moved on and none of us still have a physical stake in the Racecourse Ground.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I bought a half and half ‘save the Racecourse, scarf and a ‘save the Racecourse’ T Shirt at the Fans United game at their place. We took a couple of old NSCers with us, Chappers and Artois IIRC.

Hopefully this takeover won’t be a false dawn, good luck to them.

This is one half-and-half scarf which IS acceptable!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Really interesting posts so far (more than I thought there would be) but I'm still curious to know if anyone still "owns" a bit of the ground. As the era concerned is now (like many of us!) fading fast into the semi-distant past, it may well be that things have moved on and none of us still have a physical stake in the Racecourse Ground.

What’s the plan ? Club together the land and build a few houses ? :)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I recall being there a few years ago for a cup game - it was the night where several player arrests were made back in Brighton on the team bus return in the early hours for the infamous Jury's Inn business [and Barnes claiming the 3 points were all that mattered].

Singing with the Wrexham:
"He's fat, he's round, he's gonna sell the ground - Gutte-man, Gutte-man"

Interspersed with: "Who ate all the pie's - Gutteman!" and "You fat barstard - you fat barstard"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wrexham yesterday signed Thomas O'Connor, from Burton - a lad that I know personally, as he's a friend of my wife's family in Ireland.

The fee is reported to be £500k - a new record fee for a non-league club. Its a mind boggling figure for a 5th tier side to be spending on a young player. And he will not have left Burton to move for a pay cut, either.

Let's hope Reynolds and McElhenney don't get bored of their new hobby too soon, or those fans are heading for yet more pain, down the line.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Has it kept it's chaotic style? I've watched about half the series so far and although imo it's a bit hit and miss, some of it is truly hilarious.

Up to about Series 12 it was fairly consistently brilliant. Patchier afterwards as more writers got involved and Glenn Howerton took some episodes off. There were still some brilliant episodes. Reviews of the new series suggest a return to form. I'll be bingeing this week to see if they're right. The Christmas Episode has become a tradition in our house. It's sick stuff, but, as you say, very very funny.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Wrexham yesterday signed Thomas O'Connor, from Burton - a lad that I know personally, as he's a friend of my wife's family in Ireland.

The fee is reported to be £500k - a new record fee for a non-league club. Its a mind boggling figure for a 5th tier side to be spending on a young player. And he will not have left Burton to move for a pay cut, either.

Let's hope Reynolds and McElhenney don't get bored of their new hobby too soon, or those fans are heading for yet more pain, down the line.

Would be good to see Wrexham back. Lets hope they are investing in a way that will be sustainable.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

They also just spent £300k on Ollie Palmer, a 30 year old striker who has spent most of his career being not particularly prolific in League Two. We briefly had him at Grimsby in our first non-league stint, and he’ll be a decent player at this level, but they’ve paid at least 3x his natural value there, with little chance of any future re-sale value.

In that sense it’s not great value, however you have to remember that Wrexham are not currently subject to the usual football or economic norms. They are ultimately being funded not by their Hollywood owners, but by the Amazon TV deal that their presence makes possible. To keep that going in the long-run, they need to create some momentum which these signings will almost certainly help them do.

It’s frustrating being in this league again when there’s so much money sloshing around at other clubs, but ultimately I do think that despite the crazy figures there’s a sustainability to what Wrexham are doing and relatively little risk associated with it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
T

Can't believe they have that much loose change to spend

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Wrexham Chief Exec is daughter of Burton Chairman

good business for Burton if fee true at 500k - pays off 400k Burton chairman put in to see them through covid

though Burton have now lost Lucas Akins, guy to Wrexham ( he was good, think Burton got him on a free from Southampton ) and Jebbison who was recalled to Shef Utd yesterday - Jebbison was just coming good with three goals in six games too

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

From my experience, I can't imagine anything that could possibly go wrong with this plan. 🫣

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They also just spent £300k on Ollie Palmer, a 30 year old striker who has spent most of his career being not particularly prolific in League Two. We briefly had him at Grimsby in our first non-league stint, and he’ll be a decent player at this level, but they’ve paid at least 3x his natural value there, with little chance of any future re-sale value.

In that sense it’s not great value, however you have to remember that Wrexham are not currently subject to the usual football or economic norms. They are ultimately being funded not by their Hollywood owners, but by the Amazon TV deal that their presence makes possible. To keep that going in the long-run, they need to create some momentum which these signings will almost certainly help them do.

It’s frustrating being in this league again when there’s so much money sloshing around at other clubs, but ultimately I do think that despite the crazy figures there’s a sustainability to what Wrexham are doing and relatively little risk associated with it.

Bought another player according to TS …spent 1M in total

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
It’s working for them. They have doubled their average attendance this season to 8200 from the 19/20 season. It’s their best average since 1980.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here